Home General Discussion

5 vegas golds

RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
I am sitting on the back Patio smoking a 5 Vegas thats been in the humir for 4 month, it seems a bit more harsh than the last couple i have smoked and i seem to see allot of oils building in the head almost like drippinng from it!

Seems like this stick has aged wild!
Am I losing my Mind?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Try a quick "Purge." Might help to even that beast out.

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    stephen_hannibal:
    Try a quick "Purge." Might help to even that beast out.

LOL
    Its is a Beast!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Am I losing my Mind?
    you may be losing your mind but that is unrelated to this.

is there a big difference in the humidity from the humidor to the great outdoors? are you smoking your cigar with a dry grip? if you tend to get your cigar wet as you smoke this could be a problem. how is it cut? if you punch with too small of a ring cutter then you may have a bit of an issue.
    kuzi16:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Am I losing my Mind?
    you may be losing your mind but that is unrelated to this.

is there a big difference in the humidity from the humidor to the great outdoors? are you smoking your cigar with a dry grip? if you tend to get your cigar wet as you smoke this could be a problem. how is it cut? if you punch with too small of a ring cutter then you may have a bit of an issue.
    LOL

Its cut same as I alwasy cut, use a double guilitine.... humidor humidity 65,outside today 75 and somewhat dry....... Im not much of a slobberer! LOL
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I have had a few of these in the past few months and the same thing happened to me with the last one. It was almost tart.
    thats a good description .... almost like hash oil ....... LOL
    without the BUZZ
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I tried the 5 Vegas Gold and decided they were harsh, too. My son bought 2 boxes of them and likes them quite well. I haven't noticed the bit about oils or tar but I did notice that they burn fairly rapidly like they were dry but they've been in my 65% coolidor for a couple months. Oughta smoke better than they do.

I've decided I like the CAO Golds much better. And I have a 5-pack of Gurkha Park Avenue churchills on the way and I'm told they compare favorably with the CAO Golds.

Marty

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    jlmarta:
    I tried the 5 Vegas Gold and decided they were harsh, too. My son bought 2 boxes of them and likes them quite well. I haven't noticed the bit about oils or tar but I did notice that they burn fairly rapidly like they were dry but they've been in my 65% coolidor for a couple months. Oughta smoke better than they do.

I've decided I like the CAO Golds much better. And I have a 5-pack of Gurkha Park Avenue churchills on the way and I'm told they compare favorably with the CAO Golds.

Marty

The Park Avenue is a great cigar. I've had it in the torpedo and churchill. Flawless burn and great flavor.
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    I had a CAO Gold a couple of weeks ago. I had heard it was a Mild cigar. It was the most harsh cigar I have tried so far. 24 hours later I could still taste it and felt like i had just chewed the thing up instead of smoking it. I have not had a 5 Vegas Gold, but seeing above seems like might have the same issue.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    The last couple 5V Golds I've had have been a bit acrid and not enjoyable, I've got one kicking around that I'll try, and if it's no good it may be my last...there are too many cigars out there to waste time with bad performers.
    j0z3r:
    The last couple 5V Golds I've had have been a bit acrid and not enjoyable, I've got one kicking around that I'll try, and if it's no good it may be my last...there are too many cigars out there to waste time with bad performers.

Yeah Joe this one is weird..... I loved every 5 Vegas Gold I have had until this one, it has definatley changed my Attitude on them.
    I dont claim to have a great Pallet but I am developing my pallet and i seem to be changing from mild to more mediums, I have been loving some maduros and corojos,.......
    Time will tell..... for me
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Hopefully the staff reads this because if it is happening to many of us, it isn't a coincidence. I have had quite a few of these in my day and never had this problem. The only think I can think of is that they sell so fast that they are rushing these into production. I'm not sure who makes them, but maybe ccom should notify the company. For me, I'll just keep these in the humi for another year and I'm sure they'll be fine.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Redtailhawkoz:
    j0z3r:

Yeah Joe this one is weird..... I loved every 5 Vegas Gold I have had until this one, it has definatley changed my Attitude on them.
    I dont claim to have a great Pallet but I am developing my pallet and i seem to be changing from mild to more mediums, I have been loving some maduros and corojos,.......
    Time will tell..... for me
    Hmm, if it's only one it could just be a bad one. They are hand made, after all. I've got a bunch left from last summer - I suppose I should have one in the morning and see how it smokes!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    This is disappointing, 5Vegas gold has been on my 'to try' list for quite a while and I'm finally making some room in my humi(s). Bummer. Looks like I might pass and try a different new mild.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    bigharpoon:
    This is disappointing, 5Vegas gold has been on my 'to try' list for quite a while and I'm finally making some room in my humi(s). Bummer. Looks like I might pass and try a different new mild.
    Don't pass...it's a good stick, and definitely worth your dollars to try.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:
    Absolutely, I got 10 of these a few weeks ago and am down to 5...YIKES
    Diamondog:
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:

I have had 20 of these and this was my first real bagger so maybe it was just a bad cigar.... i have 3 more and will continue tio give it a shot.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Diamondog:
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:

I have had 20 of these and this was my first real bagger so maybe it was just a bad cigar.... i have 3 more and will continue tio give it a shot.
    Definitely don't shy away from this one. Call Jeff Jackson over at ccom and ask him if he can get you a special price on the Golds. Great cigar, and super cheap.
    TatuajeVI:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Diamondog:
    Hays:
    bigharpoon:

Definitely don't shy away from this one. Call Jeff Jackson over at ccom and ask him if he can get you a special price on the Golds. Great cigar, and super cheap.
    Okay, okay. I've got some Golds on the way, they should be here soon. I've been looking forward to these. After a little post-shipping rest in the humi I'll fire one up and let you all know how it was. I'm psyched!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Had one this afternoon was very nice!
  • dubiousmonkdubiousmonk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
    I had A 5 Vegas Gold this weekend, while i had my first a few months ago and it was good this one SUCKED! to tight to draw even a whisp, sour tasting, terrible burn...was pissed... then I had a rocky patel CT that was everything a good CT should be and felt much better!
    I just had one of my newly arrived 5 Vegas Golds and it was fantastic! What a great cigar, no problems at all with burn or draw and the flavors were impressive. I think I've found my new favorite mild. I'm glad all of you convinced me to stick with it and give them a try, it was so worth it. Thanks! And thanks to Robbyras for sending them my way!