Home General Discussion

The FNG

coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
Hello All!

Been reading the forums for a couple of weeks figured it was time to post. I just received my first Ccom order in the mail. I ordered the house blend sampler 7pk and the NUB sampler. I have had the NUBS before and I love those, I am going to let those rest for a bit in my humidor that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

I am having a hard time trying to decide which house blend to try first,lol. Only having one of each is making it hard. I am thinking of trying the Red or Blue first and then the Cuban label. I am fairly new to this I like mild / med cigars so far. I have only had a couple of really strong ones. I have had all the NUBS, and several Oliva series O and G. Liked all of those so far.

Anyway, I have enjoyed reading all the posts on here and look forward to joining in on some discussions.

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Welcome to the boards, I bought a ccom sampler almost a year ago, and still have a few left. Honestly, I keep forgetting I have them. What did you think of the NUBS? I've only had a couple so far, the Connecticut and another, I think it was the Cameroon. Which I liked more than the connie.
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    I have been very impressed with the NUBS so far. I like Habano best out of all of them, then the Cameroon, then the Connecticut and then the Maduro. I cannot remember what all sizes I have had them in. I have had a couple different sizes of the Cameroon, I do not understand all the different sizes and how they are supposed to be "different" I guess though.

The house blend sampler that came, they are all robusto I believe except the corojo it is a torpedo.
    I got a NUB sampler from here as a Xmas gift, and haven't tried the Habanos yet...although, a buddy of mine has and said they're his favorite right now. I can't wait to try it. Have you heard about the CAIN Nub?
    I was on the NUB / Cain website and saw it on there. I keep reading all the stuff about how strong the Cain is and not sure if I can handle it or not to be honest,lol. But I am sure I will try it out. As much as I like the NUBS to this point I am sure it will be worth trying.
    CAIN isn't as full bodied as I was expecting. But by no means would I smoke it on an empty stomach! The only cigar that almost made me hurl was a RP Olde World Reserve. Which I made the mistake of smoking on empty stomach.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I would let those red labels sit for a few months first. They are great with about 6months on them in a humi.
    Krieg:
    CAIN isn't as full bodied as I was expecting. But by no means would I smoke it on an empty stomach! The only cigar that almost made me hurl was a RP Olde World Reserve. Which I made the mistake of smoking on empty stomach.
    Probably due to the dye, as RP is known for it. The cain wasn't that strong, though the natural was a bit stronger than the maduro. Still not that bad, though I find it tough to find a strong cigar. Now a man o war ruination was a bit much, just be sure not to smoke it in a room where there is no open window. I got some serious butt kicking from the smoke.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I would let those red labels sit for a few months first. They are great with about 6months on them in a humi.

Ok, I will let that one sit a bit then. I screwed up and picked up a 20ct humidor. I will have to work on getting a bigger one before too long as it is full right now.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Krieg:
    Welcome to the boards, I bought a ccom sampler almost a year ago, and still have a few left. Honestly, I keep forgetting I have them. What did you think of the NUBS? I've only had a couple so far, the Connecticut and another, I think it was the Cameroon. Which I liked more than the connie.
    The Nub Habano 464 is my favorite, by far, and then the Nub Maduro.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    Cain NUB??!?!?!!?!?!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the forums. I am also a fan of the Nub Habano, solidly made and great flavor. I've went through the same Ccom sampler as yours and out of all of them, I enjoyed the Brazilian and Cameroon labels the best. It's been a while, so I may have to order it again to remind myself what the others tasted like.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    If you like the Habano Nub the best, get to know the name AJ Fernandez. He is considered one of the best blenders around. He make a lot have cigar with habano wrappers at a very good price. In this section, search for the AJ Fernandez thread and read what Alex Svenson has to say about him.
    I will check into that. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome coach. Definitely consider getting a bigger humidor. Especially if you plan on hanging around and getting in on the trades, PIFs, MAWs and passes. In this environment, a 20ct just aint gonna cut it. My 50 ct lasted me about a month before I needed an upgrade. People around here have a tendency (albeit an appreciated one) to sneak in a stick or two on a trade and they add up......fast. I'm about six months into this hobby and I already have a 200+ collection of great smokes. It happens VERY fast.
    yeah I can imagine. As soon as I can afford a bigger one I will get it. I would really like to build up a nice collection.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    lilwing88:
    Welcome coach. Definitely consider getting a bigger humidor. Especially if you plan on hanging around and getting in on the trades, PIFs, MAWs and passes. In this environment, a 20ct just aint gonna cut it. My 50 ct lasted me about a month before I needed an upgrade. People around here have a tendency (albeit an appreciated one) to sneak in a stick or two on a trade and they add up......fast. I'm about six months into this hobby and I already have a 200+ collection of great smokes. It happens VERY fast.
    All good advice here. I would agree with this the most however. I started with a 50 count humi. Added a 40 count that I bought with the sticks included, added another 50 count and now use two of these for aging and have moved on to a 4 foot long coolerdor.

I'm good now... for a while :)
    Hmmm I see more box splits with a squirrel in your future...
    phobicsquirrel:
    Krieg:
    Probably due to the dye, as RP is known for it. The cain wasn't that strong, though the natural was a bit stronger than the maduro. Still not that bad, though I find it tough to find a strong cigar. Now a man o war ruination was a bit much, just be sure not to smoke it in a room where there is no open window. I got some serious butt kicking from the smoke.
    I have never had dye come off my cigar from smoking a RP. Especially a OWR or Decade. I suppose I will pay closer attention next time I smoke one. I wonder if he still does it with other cigars...
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hmmm I see more box splits with a squirrel in your future...
    Damned psychic squirrel .
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    "I am fairly new to this I like mild / med cigars so far." While I'm more in line with Sight Unseen, preferring the brazilian and camaroon, especially in the evening, if you like the mild I've rarely had a better morning cigar than the purple label. Need to try NUB, though, still haven't had any, must be good from the way folks rave. Welcome here!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I saw on the stogie guys that the Edge Maduro was dyed. Im sure that RP is dying others. I dont think from looking at it that the decade is dyed at all. especially due to 2 of them next to each other having relatively different colors.

Fourtotheflush:
    I saw on the stogie guys that the Edge Maduro was dyed. Im sure that RP is dying others. I dont think from looking at it that the decade is dyed at all. especially due to 2 of them next to each other having relatively different colors.

Yeah, I just watched that video on thier site. It has been awhile since I had an Edge Maduro. However, I do have several OWR 2nds. I might smoke on this weekend and see if any dye comes off on my hands. IMO, I think dying cigars is stupid. If your cigars go through "rigorous QA checks..." then why the hell do you need to dye your cigars. This could explain why the Decade torpedos are darker than the regular Decade toros...
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Krieg:
    Fourtotheflush:

Yeah, I just watched that video on thier site. It has been awhile since I had an Edge Maduro. However, I do have several OWR 2nds. I might smoke on this weekend and see if any dye comes off on my hands. IMO, I think dying cigars is stupid. If your cigars go through "rigorous QA checks..." then why the hell do you need to dye your cigars. This could explain why the Decade torpedos are darker than the regular Decade toros...
    I've had two decades, both courtesy of Four, and they were DRASTICALLY different colors. Once almost had a conneticut shade to it, while the other was the shade of a MOW Ruination. I was surprised they were even the same stick. And both were torpedo's.