Home General Discussion

Lanceros

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
I've always been a robusto or torpedo kind of guy, but lately I've gotten into lanceros. In addition to looking cool, the vitola seems to concentrate the flavors more. I tried the Tat Especiales and the flavors were phenomenal.

Anyone else like lanceros? Perhaps some recommended sticks?

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I'm not a big fan. For some reason, the smaller the ring the faster I smoke. I tend to go with rings 50+ because I ruin the smaller ones.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    undulac:
    I'm not a big fan. For some reason, the smaller the ring the faster I smoke. I tend to go with rings 50+ because I ruin the smaller ones.
    Yea, I definitely had to change how I draw on the cigar. The downside for smaller gauge sticks is that I have to baby it more.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    If you like the Tatuaje especiales, look into the El Triunfador original lancero from Tatuaje, I like the especiales but the Triunfador is way better. Another superb lancero is the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero lancero in the sumatra or cameroon wrapper, absolutely phenomenal. Padron makes a pretty good one as well. The La Aroma de Cuba EE is very nice in a lancero. And one I'm very fond of is the Nestor Miranda Special Selection lancero.
    sightunseen:
    undulac:
    Yea, I definitely had to change how I draw on the cigar. The downside for smaller gauge sticks is that I have to baby it more.
    I don't see that as a downside, I think smoking slower gives you more time to appreciate the nuances of the cigar. It definitely takes a different approach than a robusto though.
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    undulac:
    I don't see that as a downside, I think smoking slower gives you more time to appreciate the nuances of the cigar. It definitely takes a different approach than a robusto though.
    Yea, I suppose my opinion stemmed from my laziness, haha. With the robustos, it was the tradtional 1, 2, 3, with really not much thought to it at all. With lanceros I'm doing just 1 short and 1 long and sometimes just 1 long puff, but then I start worrying whether I stilled puffed too hard.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I am a fan of lanceros. Some favorites you might consider trying are Oliva Vs, El Triunfadore, Illusione Holy Lance, LFD DL and coronados, tat black label. A few that I haven't tried yet but am looking forward to are the DP My Father #4s, Rocky Patel sig., Augusto Reyes Grand Cru, and the Carlos Torano Virtuoso. Im not sure what it is about them, but flavor profiles on these to me are great. However, i do enjoy the other sizes of the same blends.
  • AyatoAyato Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    Some of my favorites are El Triunfador, La Aurora 100 Anos, Padron, and Don Pepin My Father #4. The My Father Cedros Deluxe Cervantes is a little thicker ring gauge and I find the flavor more to my liking.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    For the guys who mentioned the El Triunfador - hit me up with a PM if you want to trade a couple away. I've been wanting to try that one and haven't found them around my area yet.
    TatuajeVI:
    For the guys who mentioned the El Triunfador - hit me up with a PM if you want to trade a couple away. I've been wanting to try that one and haven't found them around my area yet.
    Do you have anything interesting I might like to try? Or maybe your B&M carries something good? The problem with the Triunfador is that it can be difficult to find. I can point you in the right direction for a box or singles if you'd like to purchase some too. Let me know.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    Do you have anything interesting I might like to try? Or maybe your B&M carries something good? The problem with the Triunfador is that it can be difficult to find. I can point you in the right direction for a box or singles if you'd like to purchase some too. Let me know.
    Hmm, I could probably find some interesting sticks lying around in the humidor. I'll PM you and we'll see what I have. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    undulac:
    well said.

the lancero is a very good way to showcase the wrapper leaf.
    ....not only that you get some added complexity from the filler because of a longer portion of the leafe being used without folding it over or cutting it down.
    i love the lanceros, lonsdales, and long panatellas. its too bad that the trend in cigar smoking is to the larger ring gauge.
    i hope the small ring makes a comeback.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    undulac:
    well said.

the lancero is a very good way to showcase the wrapper leaf.
    ....not only that you get some added complexity from the filler because of a longer portion of the leafe being used without folding it over or cutting it down.
    i love the lanceros, lonsdales, and long panatellas. its too bad that the trend in cigar smoking is to the larger ring gauge.
    i hope the small ring makes a comeback.
    +1
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Although it is not a lancero I have a dirty rat with a 44 ring gauge. Sucker has 5 fillers in it and is very time consuming to make. Anxious to try it. I have a few lanceros to try and they all look good. Never had the size before so it should be interesting.
    jsnake:
    Although it is not a lancero I have a dirty rat with a 44 ring gauge. Sucker has 5 fillers in it and is very time consuming to make. Anxious to try it. I have a few lanceros to try and they all look good. Never had the size before so it should be interesting.
    That's the Liga Privada right? I've heard tons of raving reviews about the Dirty Rat. I heard that it's not for sale precisely because of the difficulty in its manufacture.

Another lancero that I like is the Padron Maduro panatela. It's like sipping on some espresso, and the regular Padrons are way cheaper than the Anni's.
  • suretolosesuretolose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    The Padilla Miami Lancero is one of my favorites.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Rocky Patel's Fusion Double Maduro is damn tasty in the lancero. It's the cigar that first put me onto them.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    sightunseen:
    I've always been a robusto or torpedo kind of guy, but lately I've gotten into lanceros. In addition to looking cool, the vitola seems to concentrate the flavors more. I tried the Tat Especiales and the flavors were phenomenal.

Anyone else like lanceros? Perhaps some recommended sticks?

You may like coronas too