Home General Discussion

Have You Ever Made A Significant Cigar Purchase Without First Trying?

DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
Have you ever made a significant cigar purchase without first having tried one of what you were buying? Definately not advised but I just pulled the trigger on something I have never tried (box of 12) YIKES....I just couldn't help myself........lol

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I just did that with the MOW Special Edition Figurado. Bought 10, but at an insane price...... Less than $5 per stick. Couldn't pass it up.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Yeah, a box of Gurkha Grand Age, a box of Gurkha Warlord, the box of Tatuaje Red and Black, God of Fire. Nothing else comes to mind though.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Mine was also MoW special edition. However, I'd tried the regular line as well as the Ruination line quite a bit first, so it wasn't a complete coin toss.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Cause I'm still fairly fresh at this. I get a ton of sticks without knowing anything about them.
    So far I have seen great results.

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Yeah, especially when I was really new to the hobby. There's still a lot I haven't tried though. I've bought quite a bit from CCOM in terms of daily deals on stuff that I'm not familiar with. That said, I don't guess you can call those significant purchases, since the deals were so great.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    The only thing that comes to mind is RP I-press, They were not too bad. If I really like something, I'll buy multiple boxes of them. An example: A. Fernandez signatures - Went through 5 boxes of them, plus each box came with an 8 cigar flight sampler, lol.... Gurkha Microbatch S-2, 4 boxes...
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I'm planning to when the MOW Virtue hits Ccom
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    The first box I ever bought was a box of Oliva Series G maduro. When I bought that box I had never tried the cigar. It is still one of my favorites and I only have one left from the box. That was almost a year ago next month. Needless to say, I can't bring myself to smoke it! It was a little odd to throw $100 bucks and something you never tried before, but from what I read it was right up my alley. And it was!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    lilwing88:
    I just did that with the MOW Special Edition Figurado. Bought 10, but at an insane price...... Less than $5 per stick. Couldn't pass it up.
    PM sent
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    xmacro:
    +1
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    j0z3r:
    xmacro:
    +1
    If the sampler & all that is as good as Alex has been saying count me in.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I sure have, most of the time it has worked out well.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I have yet to purchase a full box. It's been samplers and 5-packs for me. Commitment issues? Quite possibly.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    dennisking:
    lilwing88:
    PM sent
    Replied
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Oh yeah. Just got (singles not boxes)
    2 God of fire,
    2 OPus X,
    A.F.Anejo,
    A.F> Edicion de Aniversario,
    Davidoff Millenium,
    Ashton VSG
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    Just bought an Ashton ESG never tried it. and I got a box of Olivia V maduros before I had ever tried them
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    I too have yet to purchase a full box but I have bought a lot of samplers and DD's based on what I read here in the forums and taking into account my personal tastes.. I don't have a big enough humi to be buying boxes just yet but when I get my coolidor underway I will probably have to splurge and buy a few :)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I bought a box of Victor Sinclair 10th Anniversario cigars without ever having tried one. I had smoked their Connecticut Yankee (surprise, surprise) and I like it, so I pulled the trigger on the box because of the price at the time.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    illinoisgolf99:
    I too have yet to purchase a full box but I have bought a lot of samplers and DD's based on what I read here in the forums and taking into account my personal tastes.. I don't have a big enough humi to be buying boxes just yet but when I get my coolidor underway I will probably have to splurge and buy a few :)

^This.

I'd only had a couple sticks (local house blends) before I went somewhat nuts and bought a humi with accessories and had it stuffed full with sticks I've never had.

When I get around to making a 'significant' purchase, it will probably be of something I've had and enjoyed.
  • jekowjekow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12

just ordered the best of 2009 complete sampler after seeing how awesome and tasty the COTM cigars looked.  I haven't even tried any of cotm's yet, since I'm going to let them rest a while, same with the sampler when it shows up.  I'll just smoke the cigar.com house blend purple corona for a while... it's not a bad cigar (bought a box), again without trying first...compared to other cigars of a similar price, it's a good one.

I guess I like to live dangerously.

So I have no idea what experience I'm going to get from any of them, lol. 

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I bought a box of 06 dc god of fires before trying them. I never regretted it, but I have yet to have smoked all of them. I did buy another box of them though.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    phobicsquirrel:
    I bought a box of 06 dc god of fires before trying them. I never regretted it, but I have yet to have smoked all of them. I did buy another box of them though.

mmm G O F I am on the lookout for one of these. It will be my next expensive cigar I buy that I have not tried
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    i bought two boxes of Don Lucas two differant lines after sampling one cigar from one of the lines and I just purchased ten Sol cubano artisan salomon w/o trying hoping for the best. I know everyones taste is diff. but the reviews here really help.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Early on I went for 4 5-packs of Diesels when they went on the DD before trying them. It turns out I really like'em, so that worked out. I bought a box (10 count) of Oliveros LTD before trying them, loved'em, then bought 2 more. I haven't spent any big money yet, but I'm sure there will be a day when it will happen. So far it has been working out well in almost every case.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, several times at least. It's usually worked out fine. On the other hand.... anyone want some Bucanero Reds?
  • taddowtaddow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    I do this often (especially if it's a brand that I've had good experience with in the past. It's been hit and miss but the good thing is that u cam usually trade off sticks that u don't like to others that are interested in trying them.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Yes on boxes of Diesel, AJ Signature, initial order of Decades. Other than that it is pretty much try 1 or 2 if I like them I buy more.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    The Cank:
    phobicsquirrel:

mmm G O F I am on the lookout for one of these. It will be my next expensive cigar I buy that I have not tried
    It sucks there are two blends but both are good. I like the carols blend a bit more. I don't know how easy it is to still get the 06, but I know there is a 07 out now, which I might get as well. I need to know more about the blend though.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    As new as I am to this hobby, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of "blind buys" in my near future, especially with the great daily deals here...
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    docbp87:
    As new as I am to this hobby, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of "blind buys" in my near future, especially with the great daily deals here...
    I'd recommend getting familiar with the reviews section, they have been a great source for me to make the call to blind buy or not on the DD's. It has worked out well in pretty much every case.