Home General Discussion

New here

jekowjekow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi, just started smoking cigars a few weeks ago, though my first cigar was back in the fall.

I've found out that I like the milder creamier types and I've ordered the purple label house blend as a result of all the good reviews and comments about it.

I also signed up for the cotm club, which I'm excited about since I can't figure out what to try or not try. This takes the thinking out of it for me. Besides, there may be a non-mild cigar that I find I like.

I don't know what the point of this post is except to say that I think I'm addicted to cigars now, though not smoking them especially....more just reading about, watching video reviews of, and buying them.

What is it about peoples' brains and the desire to collect things...shoes for women, pokemon for kids, cigars for men???

Comments

• jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    welcome to the club. try the cusano 18, its like a mouthful of silk
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    It's an interesting hobby and definitely addictive. I don't get to smoke much but I find myself reading reviews, going to the local cigar shop to peruse, and checking the condition of my smokes in the humi. It's really therapeutic...lol Welcome to the forums!
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Welcome to the forums. Might I suggest buying 5 packs, daily deals, and mild-medium sampler packs to find what you like. For mild sticks, I like AB Occidental Reserve and the Augusto Reyes Nativo.
  • jekowjekow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12
    cool, I'll put the cusano 18 on my to try list. :)

I picked up an antique humidor the other day for $20 from an antique shop because it still appeared to have a great seal. The thing is, it has some kind of aluminum or zinc interior which is slightly corroded from the years.
    Funny, there was a much more modern spanish cedar lined humidor that was $52 and the craftsmanship was obviously nowhere near the level of what I bought.

Anyone know anything about old metal-lined humidors? Also, anyone know where I can order spanish cedar to replace the metal?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    jekow:
    cool, I'll put the cusano 18 on my to try list. :) I picked up an antique humidor the other day for $20 from an antique shop because it still appeared to have a great seal. The thing is, it has some kind of aluminum or zinc interior which is slightly corroded from the years. Funny, there was a much more modern spanish cedar lined humidor that was $52 and the craftsmanship was obviously nowhere near the level of what I bought. Anyone know anything about old metal-lined humidors? Also, anyone know where I can order spanish cedar to replace the metal?
    Welcome to the Forums.
    When you get your COTM packs, there will no doubt be some fuller bodied sticks in them as well. I suggest that rather then trading these for sticks you know you like now, you should keep them stored properly for at least 6 months and then give them a try. Most guy's find their tastes in both body and flavour does change over time, and then you have some sticks with a little time on them which only makes for a more enjoyable smoke.
    When I first started out I traded away a LOT of full body sticks which later on I found I loved and ended up having to get more. Just a suggestion.

Also do a search on E-Bay, as I have seen Spanish Cedar sold there. Or you can break down some boxes from your local B&M and use that.
    laker1963:
    jekow:
    cool, I'll put the cusano 18 on my to try list. :)

I picked up an antique humidor the other day for $20 from an antique shop because it still appeared to have a great seal. The thing is, it has some kind of aluminum or zinc interior which is slightly corroded from the years.
    Funny, there was a much more modern spanish cedar lined humidor that was $52 and the craftsmanship was obviously nowhere near the level of what I bought.

Anyone know anything about old metal-lined humidors? Also, anyone know where I can order spanish cedar to replace the metal?
    Welcome to the Forums.
    When you get your COTM packs, there will no doubt be some fuller bodied sticks in them as well. I suggest that rather then trading these for sticks you know you like now, you should keep them stored properly for at least 6 months and then give them a try. Most guy's find their tastes in both body and flavour does change over time, and then you have some sticks with a little time on them which only makes for a more enjoyable smoke.
    When I first started out I traded away a LOT of full body sticks which later on I found I loved and ended up having to get more. Just a suggestion.

Also do a search on E-Bay, as I have seen Spanish Cedar sold there. Or you can break down some boxes from your local B&M and use that.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definately hold on to them all, as you say I'm probably not going to know what a will want to try in the future.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Watch the daily deals for a good selection of sticks at good prices. You will find what flavors you like pretty quickly although it will to continue to develop over time.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Welcome and get involved on the trades passes and bombs. Best way to try new stuff you prob. wouldn't have bought otherwise.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Welcome to the forum. As far as your question about metal lined humidors, there's been some discussions on here before about them (may be able to find them through the Search function). In general, if it's sealed well, and the metal isn't rusted or oxidized (which I think you said it was...?), it will actually work just fine - you just don't get the same smell of cedar when you open the humidor. As for finding cedar to recover it...well, I have no idea. I know there's places to buy it, but I've never been able to find em. You could try tearing up a bunch of cigar boxes and putting that up.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    You can buy sheets of thin spanish cedar on Ebay for around $4 a pop.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    Welcome to a great hobby.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    welcome... enjoy stuff.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    If the inside of your humi is oxidized metal, even just a little, I would never use it for cigar storage. The rust could affect the taste of your cigars and stain them.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    Welcome, Hope you enjoy.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Welcome. You're off to a good start with the COTM club. Enjoy.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome, brother.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome bro, enjoy the knowledge and friendship.
    thanks for the welcomes, all.