Home General Discussion

Any recommendations on a "good" hygrometer?

cliff tcliff t Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
I'm escalating in my cigar "thing", and have more than one humidor. So I'll take any rx's for a good one!

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Xikar makes a nice one, auto-adjusted when calibrated with the press of a button.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'll second what Joe said. I have the Xicar hygro and it works very well. easy to use and always accurate. I picked it up at my local shop for $19.99.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I can give you advice on a bad one. I ordered one from heartfelt when I ordered some beads and it crapped out on me after about 9 mos or so.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    +1 for Xikar; get them off Amazon for $17; Madelaine makes an identical one as well. Both of them only have one button - press it once and it converts to Fah/Cel, but if you hold it down for a few seconds, it resets the hygrometer to 75%, so you can easily calibrate the thing yourself
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I agree with Joe, Puro, and everyone else, lol. You really can't go wrong with the Xikar one.

I have been using 4 for over a year now, and after you calibrate them all together, they pretty much stay on point. Like, I can put all four in one humidor for a day, then when I check them, they all read the same. So that's four of their hygros right there that have kept perfect numbers running 24/7 for a year. For $20 each.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    On the advise of Hays, I bought two hygrometers at Walmarts for about $6 each. They are not adjustable, but once I salt tested them, one was spot on at 75% and the other was 74%, close enough for government work!

I've had them for some time now and they have worked great. If you want to get hygrometers cheap, this is the way to go.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    YankeeMan:
    On the advise of Hays, I bought two hygrometers at Walmarts for about $6 each. They are not adjustable, but once I salt tested them, one was spot on at 75% and the other was 74%, close enough for government work!

I've had them for some time now and they have worked great. If you want to get hygrometers cheap, this is the way to go.
    I second the Hays approved hydro. All of mine are dead on at 75%, and they cost 6 bucks.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    YankeeMan:

+1...... I went the same route. My first hygro I got at the B&M for $25.... works fine. The second one I got at Walmart for $7 works just as fine.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I got a 5 dollar one on ebay from thailand that works great, its not adjustable but it doesnt matter if its spot on.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Iam on board with the digital from walmart on Hay's advise and now have three ..... all spot on
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    I have a Xikar and a WalMart hygrometer. Both have work perfect and my WM hygro is spot on.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Isn't the walmart hygrometer the one that's off by 20% for a lot of people?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    stephen_hannibal:
    YankeeMan:

I second the Hays approved hydro. All of mine are dead on at 75%, and they cost 6 bucks.

Ive got the same one mine has never tested at 75 always at 65 so its 10 off.....
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Unthought_Known:
    I bought one and returned it a few days later. It was off by 10 or so and I didn't want to deal with it.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Unthought_Known:
    Yeah, so it seems...and unfortunately, a lot of those people bought em on my recommendation. I bought one for my first humi, and it's been perfectly spot-on since I bought it (tested it multiple times). Others, it seems, have had far worse experiences.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    I have two from Walmart, one is off 20% and one is off 6%, but I don't think it's much of a problem. You dont have to be accurate to be precise, and adding 20 or 6 isn't that much of a mental struggle.
    mrpillow:
    I have two from Walmart, one is off 20% and one is off 6%, but I don't think it's much of a problem. You dont have to be accurate to be precise, and adding 20 or 6 isn't that much of a mental struggle.
    It is for me!
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Sandman1am:
    mrpillow:
    It is for me!
    Sandman, what l have learned in the last couple years is dont sweat the small stuff. My humidity fluctuates between 62 and 68 in various bins or humis. All smoke fine. I enjoy cigars to relax and you dont need to over think and stress over your cigars.
    leonard:
    Sandman1am:
    mrpillow:
    It is for me!
    Sandman, what l have learned in the last couple years is dont sweat the small stuff. My humidity fluctuates between 62 and 68 in various bins or humis. All smoke fine. I enjoy cigars to relax and you dont need to over think and stress over your cigars.
    I don't stress over them and I don't do math. That is why I got a different Hygrometer so I didn't have to think about them. I get fluctuations during the winter months because of it being so dry. I don't fight it too much just add more water when it is needed. I just wanted a spot on hygrometer for that exact reason....didn't want to worry about it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Sandman1am:
    leonard:
    Sandman1am:
    mrpillow:
    It is for me!
    I don't stress over them and I don't do math. That is why I got a different Hygrometer so I didn't have to think about them. I get fluctuations during the winter months because of it being so dry. I don't fight it too much just add more water when it is needed. I just wanted a spot on hygrometer for that exact reason....didn't want to worry about it.
    haha, I've been running my humidors for several months with no hygrometers since all the batteries died, it has only been in the past couple weeks that I finally bought some more batteries. And you know what, my cigars were just fine even though I didn't know what exact RH they were at...I just let the cigar tell me when I smoke it, is it too dry, too humid, and adjust accordingly.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    This is what I use, and its ...well amazing....www.honeywellweatherstations.com/.../TE657ELW%20FINAL%202-29-08.pdf
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    YankeeMan:

I got 2 of the cheapo's and they are both worthless, WAY off and inconsistent. However, I spent an extra buck($8) at WM on an Accu-rite (i think that's what it's called) and it is off by 7%, but consistent and works well for my coolidor (it's a bit large for a small humi).
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    jeff_connors:
    This is what I use, and its ...well amazing....www.honeywellweatherstations.com/.../TE657ELW%20FINAL%202-29-08.pdf
    My roommate has a very similar one and it works great.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    I just got the new Xikar and it's working well. It came calibrated but I did the salt test just for giggles and it was accurate.

My analog meter is mounted in the front of my humi and it never worked well. I placed the Xikar under the lid where the round humidifer is supossed to be mounted.

• Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I did an online search for the brand offered by Walmart...found a place where they were about nine dollars...bought five of them. Calibrate them ad see how they check out...they work great and are ten dollars cheaper..
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Hey Jeff...I still like your avatar!!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I have four digital hygrometers. My first was from a local B&M, the one from Madelaine. Spot on, but $20-25 kinda hurts. I bought two of the "hays" approved wal mart ones (lol, I love that we named it after hays) and they are both at least 10% off. Not a big deal, they are still accurate if I subtract a few percentage points. But for my newest humidor, I decided to grab another Madelaine one. I tend to rotate my hygrometers from humidor to humidor, probably cause I'm a bit psycho.
  • bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    springfeld from WM just like Hays; always perfect!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Caliber III, 13 bucks on amazon.. I've got three of them and they work GREAT
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
    Home Depot - Garden Section - $9.00