Home General Discussion

Worth the Price?

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
I read a response phobic had posted in another thread, which led me to ask myself, "Has there been a super-premium cigar that was worth the price I paid?"

I don't think I've ever paid more than $8 for a stick, so the question goes out to the forum: Anyone ever paid $15+ for a stick and felt like it was worth every penny? Related to that, which cigar made has you feel the most ripped off?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the AVO 22 would sell for a crazy price if you could find them. i feel that both opus and anejo are worth the price. La Aurora Preferido is worth the price.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    I paid 16 for a Padron 1964 Anniversary from a local shop and it was well worth it. I'm sure I could have found a better price but I was there, wanted to try one, and got to sit down and watch Olympic hockey for a few hours... a win win situation.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    Gurkha Shaggy if you could buy them would be worth the price. Padron was worth it Id say. I am about to try Ashton VSG Eclipse I really hope this is worth it because I am looking very forward to it !
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I paid $25 for a Hemingway Masterpiece, once, and it was worth every penny.

I'm sure I've smoked some other stogies over $15, but nothing's coming to mind.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Davidoff Millenium
    Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    That reminds me of one: La Aurora Preferido Gold.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    The Cank:
    Gurkha Shaggy if you could buy them would be worth the price. Padron was worth it Id say. I am about to try Ashton VSG Eclipse I really hope this is worth it because I am looking very forward to it !
    Seriously? I can get the Shaggy's all day long at my local shop for a lot less than $15... They are good smokes, but I wouldn't pay that much for them.
    I would have to agree with Kuzi that the Opus and Anejo are both well worth the money, and I'd say the VSG in the larger sizes that are around the $15 range are also worth the money.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I think the Camacho PE is worth over 15 bucks but not sure about 25.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I don't think I can get any of the sticks you all mentioned in any of the shops within 1.5 hours from me for the prices you're mentioning! I really need to get out of Maryland. A Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico would cost me around $24. I've never paid this amount, and I never would, but this is how much it would cost me if I wanted one.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    clearlysuspect:
    I don't think I can get any of the sticks you all mentioned in any of the shops within 1.5 hours from me for the prices you're mentioning! I really need to get out of Maryland. A Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico would cost me around $24. I've never paid this amount, and I never would, but this is how much it would cost me if I wanted one.

You need to order from CCOM.. They sell the Padron 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico for $13.78

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I guess it depends on what your idea of a high price would be? I find Ashton VSG's to be very good, worth 14 or so dollars. I find Opus X's worth some coin, as with Anejos. I enjoy the Padron 26 80th maduro's but they are much to expensive so that would be in the not worth category. And I do believe that they are one of the only cigars I've had that I couldn't find much cheaper. Most places have them set at about 30 bucks a stick.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Goldy:
    I would agree with this. I very much enjoyed it. I also really liked the liberty 08, so much so I bought a box. I do need to try the 07 and 09 though.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Goldy:
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for the PE. I like the cigar, but in all honesty I've had better cigars in the $8-$15 range.

I think the Padron Anniversary 1964 is worth the price. I agree that the Opus is worth it, don't think the Añejo is worth it and think the God of Fire is worth the price. Can't comment on some other brands like Davidoff and the higher end Graycliffs.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I would agree with Jozr about the Padron 64. Definitley worth the price. In fact, I smoked one last night :) Also, I think the Ashton ESG is pretty good. I have seen them as high as $25. I wouldn't pay that because I've seen them lower, around the 19-$21 range. But they are damn good cigars.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I think the Ashton VSG is worth it, so are the Padrons. Gurkhas, most are not, imo. God of fire yes, Anejo yes, Graycliff no.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    PuroFreak:
    The Cank:
    Seriously? I can get the Shaggy's all day long at my local shop for a lot less than $15... They are good smokes, but I wouldn't pay that much for them.
    I would have to agree with Kuzi that the Opus and Anejo are both well worth the money, and I'd say the VSG in the larger sizes that are around the $15 range are also worth the money.

Nope can't find a Shaggy anywhere but I really enjoy them for what its worth.
    I did not like either of the 2 Opus X I tried but they did not rest very long and I have one more that I am sitting on and it will rest for a long time.
    Also I am trying to locate a GOF at a B&M but no one carries them so I will probably just order on from CCOM or set up a trade with someone. I am in a high end kick right now where I am trying to get Top Shelf cigars so this thread is exciting me with ideas of good cigars to get so keep the ideas coming !
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    The Cank:
    PuroFreak:
    The Cank:

Nope can't find a Shaggy anywhere but I really enjoy them for what its worth.
    I did not like either of the 2 Opus X I tried but they did not rest very long and I have one more that I am sitting on and it will rest for a long time.
    Also I am trying to locate a GOF at a B&M but no one carries them so I will probably just order on from CCOM or set up a trade with someone. I am in a high end kick right now where I am trying to get Top Shelf cigars so this thread is exciting me with ideas of good cigars to get so keep the ideas coming !
    Next time I'm in my B&M I'll see what the price is on the Shaggy there and let ya know. I may be able to work a trade or something with you. I'll PM ya when I find out.
  • AyatoAyato Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    Some I think are worth the price: Fuente Anejo, Ashton VSG, Padron Anniversary, Davidoff Millennium, Don Carlos God of Fire, the '06 and '08 Camacho Liberty. Most of the Gurkha's I have tried did not live up to the hype and were not worth the hefty price tag.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Hey Brett, PM to ya
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    PuroFreak:
    The Cank:
    I pay 10 bucks for those huge Ghurka Salomes Shaggys , have 2 in the humi havent smoked them yet but they have dozens in there humi!