Home General Discussion

Hello, New Here!

bernard_busbernard_bus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
Hello,

Just stopping in to say Hi and introduce myself. I've been lurking around for a few day's reading some posts, mostly good tips and suggestions. This seems to be a great community so I figured I should start right in with a hello and introduction.

Thus far I've been smoking cigars off and on for a few years. I've always loved the taste of a good stick and I'm still by far new to the game. With that I've been smoking pipe tobacco for a few years as well so I'm really learning the diverse flavors of both. Both to me are great ways to relax and I'm hoping to slowly broaden my tastes and learn to better appreciate them.

I instantly was hooked on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story upon starting my cigar ventures and thus far AF's are the brand of choice. I went from having a cigar from time to time to having them weekly and as of lately, daily. Hey what can I say, I love them. I do not know it all but I am surely learning what I like in a cigar and something about them Fuente's just do it for me.

That stated, I finally picked up humidor; I actually purchased one here (Cigar.com Deluxe) and quickly realized it was too small to keep what I felt is necessary to be at my finger tips. I decided to step it up a notch and picked up a Craftmans Bench Fairmount humidor, 125ct. Bit pricey for the size (~$140) and what I've seen on the internet but I do like the design and it thus far has been holding RH well.

I have it stocked up with some of my fave AF's (Don Carlos #3, Short Story, Royal Salute Sungrown, Hemingway Classic, Natural Presidente - others) , some Rocky Patels (Vintage 90,92, Sungrown), and C.A.O (Brazilla, Criollo, Gold). And a few other random sticks I've acquired from samplers and random cigar shop purchases. At this point I know what I like and I am also expanding on that sometimes successfully and other times not.

Anyhow, just saying hello and I hope to gain more knowledge from you fellow members, share some suggestions, and the whole nine.

-Jay | SF Bay Area CA.

Comments

• bernard_busbernard_bus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    ps. this was a few paragraphs but seems the formatting was lost. Sorry about that!
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hey brother! Welcome to the forums! Prepare to be blown away with people saying you owe them stocks as an entry fee ;)
    LOL nice.. thanks for the heads up.

And it looks like I figured out you can use some html to format these posts!

Jay
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Welcome Jay! Glad to have you as a part of the group. Sounds like you have a great start to the hobby, and trust me - it just gets worse from here! There's some other members of the forum in your area (and I'm up in the Sac area), so there's some folks to herf with if ya want. Either way, looking forward to seeing your contributions.
  • rad1964rad1964 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 189
    Welcome to the forum Jay.

You can find a how to format your post here: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/71003.aspx

I too am from the Bay Area. I find that I am mainly smoking during my UFC pay per views. :)
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Welcome!! If you're into fine humidors and are willing to pay, look up our BOTL on the forum, WaxingMoon - he makes some of the most beautiful humidors around, all with a great seal

So what kind of pipe tobacco do you smoke? Captain Black is a typical favorite of mine, or maybe some Borkum Riff Cherry
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    xmacro:
    Welcome!! If you're into fine humidors and are willing to pay, look up our BOTL on the forum, WaxingMoon - he makes some of the most beautiful humidors around, all with a great seal

So what kind of pipe tobacco do you smoke? Captain Black is a typical favorite of mine, or maybe some Borkum Riff Cherry
    I second that...... I'm saving up for one as we speak. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good times here.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Welcome aboard.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome Jay, sounds like you're stocked and ready to go. Nice.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Welcome brother!
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    Welcome, hope you enjoy.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Glad to welcome another BOTL!!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Welcome to the forums Jay!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Welcome Jay. Sounds like you have a good start in your Humi. I like most of those sticks that you have. Looking forward to seeing you around.
    Everybody, thanks for the warm welcome.

Here is a shot of my humi stocked up with some nice Japanese Whiskey (Yamazaki 18!). I plan on plowing through a few tonight. Just recently got a Job after being unemployed for 8 months! Yes, time for celebration, fine whiskey, and some delicious sticks!

• turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    Looking sweet!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Welcome. This is a great bunch of people and if you need to know something, just ask. I guarantee someone here will have an answer for you. Enjoy.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    YankeeMan:
    Welcome. This is a great bunch of people and if you need to know something, just ask. I guarantee someone here will have an answer for you. Enjoy.
    Note he said "an answer" not necessarily "the right answer." :)

Welcome!
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Welcome Jay, and congrats on the new hobby and the new job.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Hey Jay. Welcome aboard.

Opinions are like a$$holes... everybody's got one. Just consider us a whole collection of a$$holes. Great place to hang.
    bernard_bus:

Here is a shot of my humi stocked up with some nice Japanese Whiskey (Yamazaki 18!). I plan on plowing through a few tonight. Just recently got a Job after being unemployed for 8 months! Yes, time for celebration, fine whiskey, and some delicious sticks!

That is great Whiskey and great taste in sticks! We need to Herf. I looked for the 18 year aged bottle for our Herf in Ohio but couldn't find it so settled for the 12 year. Still good but not as good as the 18. Congrats on the new job too you deserve a good celbratory night!
    Sandman1am:
    bernard_bus:

That is great Whiskey and great taste in sticks! We need to Herf. I looked for the 18 year aged bottle for our Herf in Ohio but couldn't find it so settled for the 12 year. Still good but not as good as the 18. Congrats on the new job too you deserve a good celbratory night!
    Ah yes! A fellow fan of Yamazaki! Yes the 12 year is actually really good for being 12yrs and half the price of the 18yr. I love Yamazaki! When I can't fork out the 100+ for the 18yr I do grab the 12 year bottle. I mean really, this Whiskey is the best balance and the 12 year is amazing for the cost. The 18 year is just blissful to say the least. I pick mine up at Bevmo. Fact you could order the 18 online via BevMo as well.

Yamazaki is still "new" to a lot of people in the US. I know they have been in business since 1925 or something and I always get funny looks when I ask for the 18yr behind the glass. That or the typical "What the hell? Japanese Whiskey? Is that any good?" And for those who actually are lucky enough to try it. They always do the "Oh Wow" look. Even my friends who are hard set in their scotch ways are blown away.

Yeah the Japanese hit a home run and them some with this Whiskey. High recommended for you BOTL whom have not had it.

-Jay
    Jay I tried to tell them but I think it fell on def ears. I did bring some to our Herf and hopefully some of those who tried it liked it and will try it again. It's my favorite right now but who knows I haven't tried them all YET!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Sandman1am:
    Jay I tried to tell them but I think it fell on def ears. I did bring some to our Herf and hopefully some of those who tried it liked it and will try it again. It's my favorite right now but who knows I haven't tried them all YET!
    I tried it, thanks to sandman here. The 12 year, that is. It was good, but the apple-like flavor didn't go well with the cigar I was smoking at the time. I prefered the 12 year Glenfiddich that I brought with a cigar - lemony/pear seemed to go better with a cigar.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    oh man, those short stories will pollute your other cigars!! send them to me quick!! before its too late!
    Sandman1am:
    Yeah I gotta say I love me some Yamazaki. Right up next to that is going to be Highland Park 18. Both are just amazing!

jihiggs:
    oh man, those short stories will pollute your other cigars!! send them to me quick!! before its too late!
    LOL I'll smoke em all before that ever happens. I gotta say I love them just for the fact they taste amazing and are not too long of a smoke. Though I gotta check out these Nubs. Been hearing some good things about them. How do they compare? I am sure it is hard to compare the two but I've heard the Nubs are a good smoke as well!