Home General Discussion

AF King B/Opus X questions...

turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
I've never had an Opus X. I'd like to try one but would like to hear an opinion or two.

My partner at work just ordered a Fuente Chateau sampler which contains the King B. The description claims it uses the same wrapper as the Opus X. I've read that the wrapper gives flavor to the smoke so my question is, could the King B even be compared to the Opus X?

Thanks

Comments

• HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Well, being part of the whole, the wrapper obviously contributes to the stick's flavor profile. As far as a comparison, however, I have not had either unfortunately. If the only thing they share is the wrapper though, then you really couldn't compare them, as the binder and filler provide such a larger portion of the whole.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I've never had the King B. But as far as the OpusX goes, I smoked a XXX the other day and was in love. Kuzi and bbc made fun of me cause I was in my own little world for about 90 minutes. One of my favorite cigars I've ever smoked.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ive had both. the king b lacks the complexity, power, and depth of flavor that the opus has. not only is the filler very different, it is a different wrapper as well. the king b has an Ecuadorian Sun Grown where as the opus has a wrapper grown in the Dominican Republic. the king b is good but it was not great. if choosing between the two i would take the OpusX any day.... price difference and all.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I read the same thing on another site, and remember reading the description and wondering where they got that from. Like Kuzi said the Opus doesn't have an Ecuadorian wrapper. Don't believe everything the other sites tell you I guess...
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    King B uses Ecuadorian Sumatra and OpusX uses Dominican wrapper. I dont like either to be honest. I find the King B to be unbalanced and the OpusX has so many burn problems I usually get tired out. The wrapper is very happy and has combustion problems in my experience. I would go with the Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario. That is a great stick. Same as the opusX but it uses a lower priming wrapper from the same plant that I find solves the burn problem but also balances much better with the cigar. At the end of the day, to each his own.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Alex Svenson:
    I find the King B to be unbalanced and the OpusX has so many burn problems I usually get tired out.
    this is one of the reasons why OpusX does better with AT LEAST a year of age on it. i noticed some burn issues in the past on fresh Opus that i have had. not so much on the aged stock.

Alex Svenson:
    I would go with the Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario. That is a great stick. Same as the opusX but it uses a lower priming wrapper from the same plant that I find solves the burn problem but also balances much better with the cigar.
    uuhhhh...

why have i not tried this?
    what was i thinkin?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Alex Svenson:
    I would go with the Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario. That is a great stick. Same as the opusX but it uses a lower priming wrapper from the same plant that I find solves the burn problem but also balances much better with the cigar.
    I've got about 30 if these aging away. Can't remember if I got them in 2006, 2007 or 2008. The bands say 2006 but I can't remember if that was when they were sold or made. Got them when the came in the humidor of 30 with the matching travel humidor.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    Thanks for the tips everyone. This would be too long to quote everyone but I'm taking everything you guys said into consideration.

I'll try an OpusX just to say I had one, to get the experience and to see what all the excitement is about. As far as the King B, they kind of talk it up as similar to an OpusX and I thought I'd ask. My partner will probably give me one anyway. We had the whole "wrapper adds X% amount of taste" discussion.

kuzi, Puro and Alex: thanks for the clarification. That's why I love this site: there's always an informed opinion! I never believe what I'm being sold, and here's yet another perfect example why. The way the ads are written is to make you believe you're getting something as good as the Opus. Alex, I'll keep an eye out for the Don Carlos.

Thanks again, Tony
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Tony, another one to try is the Fuente Anejo. I heard somewhere that it's the same filler and binder as the Opus X but with a different wrapper that is aged in oak cognac barrels. It's a very smooth stick. I like the Opus X. I love the Anejo. Just throwing my .02cents in here
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    dennisking:
    Tony, another one to try is the Fuente Anejo. I heard somewhere that it's the same filler and binder as the Opus X but with a different wrapper that is aged in oak cognac barrels. It's a very smooth stick. I like the Opus X. I love the Anejo. Just throwing my .02cents in here
    I read the description and it sounds interesting. Thanks.

After trying so many smokes I'm really leaning towards aged maduro. I like the smooth, leathery taste and smell. I bet the cognac scent is exquisite.
    dennisking:
    Mmmm... ANEJO!!! That is one of my all time favorite smokes and I just got one of the "Sharks" from Gene this week. I wish these were a lot easier to find because they are outstanding cigars! If I could afford to get a box of these in any size right now I'd be alllll over it!
    you can always call Tim and ask him to sell you a bunch of Anejos. They have them in stock. I picked up a bunch from one of my customer's who owns a B&M and have one 77 left. I smoked all my 55's and one 77. They are my absolute number one favorite. The cognac starts to shine thru on the final third. Phenomenal stick.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    dennisking:
    you can always call Tim and ask him to sell you a bunch of Anejos. They have them in stock. I picked up a bunch from one of my customer's who owns a B&M and have one 77 left. I smoked all my 55's and one 77. They are my absolute number one favorite. The cognac starts to shine thru on the final third. Phenomenal stick.
    Tim could most likely get you a box in ANY size but on the ccom site itself, they have a box of the #50 for sale. im gonna try one of these one day!
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Now I'm gonna have to smoke an Anejo tonight, if the weather cooperates.
    urbino:
    Have you never tried the Anejo Urbs? I thought I remembered you saying that a while back but couldn't remember for sure. If you do end up light one, let us know what you think.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I bought a 5 pack of the Anejo 48's to take to Vegas for March Madness, it sounds like only a 4 pack will actually make it now...................
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Have you never tried the Anejo Urbs? I thought I remembered you saying that a while back but couldn't remember for sure. If you do end up light one, let us know what you think.
    Nope, never have, Puro. I've still got the one that . . . Feebs, I think . . . sent me last year. It's the only one I've ever owned.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    rwheelwright:
    Alex Svenson:
    I've got about 30 if these aging away. Can't remember if I got them in 2006, 2007 or 2008. The bands say 2006 but I can't remember if that was when they were sold or made. Got them when the came in the humidor of 30 with the matching travel humidor.
    Igf they say 06 you probably bought them in 08. They usually release them for sale two years after they are rolled. That travel humi combo back they made that year kicked serious ass. I have one of those travel humidors and it is a total knockout. Very high end. Even the little auxilary box the 30 cigars came in was high end. That wasa great snag. I am envious.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    rwheelwright:
    Alex Svenson:
    crazy people, 30ths are for kids.... lol. Alex and I share a love for the ruination but I really do love opus x cigars. I need to smoke a few more 30ths as I've only had one. I did not enjoy the King B, as kuzi said it lacks complexity.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    urbino:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    Nope, never have, Puro. I've still got the one that . . . Feebs, I think . . . sent me last year. It's the only one I've ever owned.
    I hope you like it. I really like the anejo's, more than opus I think.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Alex Svenson:
    rwheelwright:
    Alex Svenson:
    Igf they say 06 you probably bought them in 08. They usually release them for sale two years after they are rolled. That travel humi combo back they made that year kicked serious ass. I have one of those travel humidors and it is a total knockout. Very high end. Even the little auxilary box the 30 cigars came in was high end. That wasa great snag. I am envious.
    Yeah, the travel humi is nice. I've only used a few times though because I don't want it to get damaged. Alex, I will tell you that it was rough to justify the $1250 price tag!!!! I still think about it and cringe!
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:
    PuroFreak:
    urbino:
    I hope you like it. I really like the anejo's, more than opus I think.
    I feel the same way.