Home General Discussion

Best way to build you smoke portfolio?

dsaylesdsayles Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
I am really enjoying the site and have tried some new smokes since being on here reading different reviews and all of you guys personal favs. I finally bought my first huni 3 weeks ago and was wondering the best way to start getting it filled with some variety. I thought about purchasing online from here but with never doing so I don't know the quality or condition of the smokes. if I do buy from here should I stick with daily deals or ampler packs. And thanks to everyone in advance. By the way I am currently enjoying a Por Larranaga cabinet Seliccion as I type. By the I have 7 smokes in a 100 ct woohooo.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    First off regarding the condition of the cigars, with cigar.com that's about the last thing to worry about. They package and store the cigars in a completely professional manner and stand behind everything they sell 100%.

The daily deal is a good way to pick up some quality cigars for a good price, but if you're trying to find what you like, you might be better off buying some singles so you don't end up stuck with a bunch of cigars you don't really like. I'd say call in and talk to one of the salespeople, Tim is good, Jeff is good....I think they're all crazy, but they can set you up with some deals and help you find some cigars you might like.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Well you are off to a good start with a decent size humi! What I would suggest is email tim "the beard" Blythe here at cigar.com. He will always steer you right in terms of price and service and knowledge. Tell him what cigars you like and what you like about that particular cigar and he will make some reccomendations. The quality here is off the charts! If there is ANYTHING wrong with your order or sticks, they will fix it at no cost to you. Humidified shipping and it is very safe for the sticks with the air pillows they use. tblythe@cigar.com is all you need my man!
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I think I replied to the other thread but I'll say it here too. Samplers let you try a lot of sticks at a great price and its not a big deal if you dont like it cause you only had one. If you dont like a daily deal you are stuck with 9 of the same stick. I got a medium bodied sampler when I started out and it was a great choice.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Welcome to the forums! Ccom has always had the best quality and condition of cigars of anywhere I purchase from, be it online or local retailers. Something I would suggest in order to try out different sticks and fill out your humidor is to sign up for Ccom's Cigar of the Month Club. Have been receiving the CotM for about 9 months now & have been turned on to some really good sticks I would never have tried otherwise.
  • leemarshall337leemarshall337 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    As the others have said, the shipping and condition of the cigars are top notch. I've ordered from a few other online sellers, but now buy almost exclusively through this site. In fact, I've had a better experience with Ccom, than probably any other merchant (period. not just cigars) I've ever dealt with. I'm not usually one to give out glowing reviews, but Ccom has earned it.

The DD and sampler packs are a great way to try a variety at a cheap price. Just keep in mind, you spend much time on this site, and that 100ct is gonna get real small, real fast.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    hey man welcome to the forums. I agree with all thats been said so far, ccom has the best customer service and quality product, Tim and the gang will take good care of you. Daily Deal's and samplers are the best way to get some variety, and once you get some inventory in your humi you can begin to trade with your fellow BOTL's for different sticks! have fun here man there are a great bunch of guys here and tons of useful info
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    I've built mine as described above. I stop at the local shop and listen to their suggestions. I buy singles of cigars that catch my eye or I read a good review about. And one of the best resources has been my partner at work. We trade all the time, and we buy each other sticks as we come across something interesting. My brother and I have different tastes so I can gauge a cigar by his like or dislike of it.

I think building a social network is as important as experimenting on your own.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Best quality product and customer service I've ever dealt with, too. I call in all my orders (Jeff Jackson) and love doing so. I get great hook ups if it's possible, and great advice if I need it. If you missed out on a daily deal you want - call in and see if they'll still honor it later. Same with a weekend blitz - no big deal, just call in and ask. Want to try something new? Call in and see what they got. ccom is f-ing awesome, and no we are all robots that Tim's Beard is controlling. Or are we? dun dun duh.......

Oh, and if you have the money, buy a bigger humidor. You're going to need it. :)
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Definitely call the customer service line...... Tell 'em your situation, give 'em an amount you want to spend and they'll hook it up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    yeah you can call up cigar.com and get some great sticks. they will recommend good stuff.

but to truly branch out and try things that are a 180 from what you usually smoke (that you may actually like) you should jump on the Pay it Forward (PIF) thread. (read the first page if you are not familiar with the pay it forward concept. ) i have received many cigars that i never would have bought on my own because of that game. most of them i liked. but worst case is that you find out you dont like specific cigar. either way you learn.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    j0z3r:
    First off regarding the condition of the cigars, with cigar.com that's about the last thing to worry about. They package and store the cigars in a completely professional manner and stand behind everything they sell 100%.

The daily deal is a good way to pick up some quality cigars for a good price, but if you're trying to find what you like, you might be better off buying some singles so you don't end up stuck with a bunch of cigars you don't really like.

This is how I did it (Singles). I think its the best way to start out. You can always buy more of what you like.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Welcome. All very good advice here. Where I got most of the things I normally wouldn't have bought would be in the trades, passes, and bombs. Lots of fun and the stuff you can get there is pretty sweet. I would say def. call in and see what they can do for you. Jeff Jackson really hooked me up with my 1st major order with a great selection of sticks.