Home General Discussion

Smoking and Studying...

txjayhawktxjayhawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
I have recently been studying for my teacher certification tests, and just about the only thing that doesnt make me feel like I wasted my college years is smoking a good cigar while studying. The past two days I enjoyed a Gurkha Blue Steel, and last night I had a 5 Vegas Classic (first one I have had, but will not be the last). I dont know if I have been hit in the head too many times, or really jsut didnt retain anything throughout schooling, but wow...I feel like a complete moron trying to work through this stuff. I just about took my torch to the state provided study packet, the $60 book I bought and the Calculator! Never been more frustrated.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Heh, smoking is the only motivation that seems to get my head in a book sometimes; got Bar exams coming up, so I've been stocking up on nails so at least I can study in comfort for 2 mo
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I find it hard to do things that require constant attention while smoking a cigar. I don't know how people read and smoke. I can watch sports like baseball or football because there are breaks in the action, or a movie that I have seen before. Maybe read a newspaper because there are short articles. Maybe I have too small of a focusing ability, but I can't do serious things and smoke at the same time. Good for you though! At least one good thing is going on while you are studying.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    while studying for my professional exams, I smoked a lot of cigars. I found it kept me relaxed and help me retain what I was reading. Its also a good way to time your studies. Good luck on your exams!
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Stryker808:
    while studying for my professional exams, I smoked a lot of cigars. I found it kept me relaxed and help me retain what I was reading. Its also a good way to time your studies. Good luck on your exams!
    Thanks man...I am going to need it. I was an Econ Major and Business Minor who is trying to get a Math Certification. You would think I used enough math but I was sooooo wrong....may have to get some of those massive 9 inch ones and smoke the whole damn thing next study session. I am finding that the more relaxed I am, the better I retain the info.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    They make 10" now :) Called "Double Happiness", it includes Man O' War Ruination
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    I always smoke during my Sunday night cram sessions. Usually something medium and tasty and cheap so i dont have to pay so much attention to it.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    i just cant do it. I hate studying and therefore, it would ruin/ lower my opinion of the stick. I want to relax when i smoke a cigar and studying is VERY stressful.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I like to read while I smoke on Sat. or Sun. afternoons -- especially since I've gotten a Kindle. Unlike a book, I only need one hand to hold the Kindle and turn the pages, which leaves the other one free to hold a stogie.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    i love pairing a cigar with a good book on the hammock on a day like today! 68 degrees and sunny!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I don't know if you ever heard the question, "What do 50% of americans pay for an never get?" I don't remember anything from college either.

There was a guy I work with the other day that told me he dropped out of high school, got his GED, and joined the Marine Corp. I asked him if he was serious and he said "Yeah. And you know what's funny? We both work at the same place and get paid the same amount!" The man definately had a point.

Well, good luck with your test brother!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I find a cigar really helps me relax. I've written papers for school and done plenty of studying with a book or two. I love it. Course I want to drink whiskey when I smoke, so that doesn't help the studying...
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    just smoked a CAO gold maduro while studying for a big crop physiology exam and found it was much more enjoyable with a cigar in hand.. just my opinion haha
    Nice. I had a Camacho PE while studying for an exam yesterday. It was a fabulous day out and the cigar was delicious as always. I plan on smoking something else tomorrow while studying for a Friday exam.
  • txjayhawktxjayhawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    Hell I wish I could smoke during my test today...supposed to take around 5 hours!!!
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    When I'm smoking a cigar I like to just contemplate my smoke and take a total mental break. I know it sounds ridiculous but, I like it to be a 'meditation session', of sorts. It's a moment which, I hope, will prevent a heartattack or a total mental breakdown! (I know.. dramatic, right?). So I guess I'm saying I could never study and smoke. Just like I would rather not work and smoke. I don't want those worlds to collide.
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    Now that it's nice and sunny on campus I plan to smoke and study outside a bit more often. I did a little writing on my senior thesis and worked my way through some Aristotle accompanied by a Bahia Blu in the courtyard a couple of days ago, nice day out, it was great.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    When I am smoking a good stick I don't want to focus on anything else for more than 5 minutes. We are all different I suppose
    asolomon:
    Now that it's nice and sunny on campus I plan to smoke and study outside a bit more often. I did a little writing on my senior thesis and worked my way through some Aristotle accompanied by a Bahia Blu in the courtyard a couple of days ago, nice day out, it was great.
    Reading philosophy is fantastic while smoking a cigar. I read a bunch of Plato in March while enjoying cigars - fantastic stuff. Phaedo is my favorite. "Fair is the prize, and the hope great!"
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    TatuajeVI:
    asolomon:
    Reading philosophy is fantastic while smoking a cigar. I read a bunch of Plato in March while enjoying cigars - fantastic stuff. Phaedo is my favorite. "Fair is the prize, and the hope great!"
    Tell me about it! I love me some Plato, and plan to read a fair bit more with some good cigars. The Phaedo is great, but I'm partial to the Symposium... and as an astro major specializing in cosmology (/crazy person) I also love the Timaeus :)