Home General Discussion

Cigarillos???

R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
Okay, lately I haven't had a lick of time to just relax with a smoke... I know, it's tragic. I have discovered that I can usually pull out 20 minutes to sit down with some sort of cigarillo and relax a bit, but I'm having a hard time finding something I like... I've tried little cigarillos by Don Lino and Macanudo Ascots, the Macanudos were more like a typical cigar but those don lino things were so short and thin that the smoke was way hot and almost sour... Anyone know of a good cigarillo? Something that won't take an hour to smoke or that I won't feel bad for snuffing out early?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    LFD, CAO, Davidoff, cohiba, and gurkha all make small tins that could work well.

the LFD is a flavor bomb. its part of their Ligero line.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    I like Cinco Vegas "Gold Nuggets" for a short smoke. They are the most flavorful of the Golds and are only about $40 for a box of 30.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    I had a to vintage 92 junior the other day and it burned extremely hot. Any tips or suggestions on smokin these? Do you smoke them like you would a full size cigar? I think that makes since..
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Onyx Impulse. They come 10 to a tin and they are a pretty good smoke.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Ashton senoritas are excellent.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Alex Williams:
    I had a to vintage 92 junior the other day and it burned extremely hot. Any tips or suggestions on smokin these? Do you smoke them like you would a full size cigar? I think that makes since..
    slow down, and smaller puffs
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    the LFD is a flavor bomb. its part of their Ligero line.
    Yum. I did a review on these last week: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/115053.aspx

I saw a few tins of the CAO Italia at a local shop. Think I might pick up a tin and see how they are.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Oliva and RyJ both make tins as well I believe? I know Oliva does, as I smoke them. Oliva Serie O Habano petit corona are good, and about $7 for 5.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    cholmes8310:
    Oliva and RyJ both make tins as well I believe? I know Oliva does, as I smoke them. Oliva Serie O Habano petit corona are good, and about $7 for 5.
    Wow I got a tin of the Oliva Serie O a few weeks ago and it cost me $16 at my local B&M. Looks like you got yourself a good deal there.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    YankeeMan:
    Onyx Impulse. They come 10 to a tin and they are a pretty good smoke.
    I second that. I had a H. Upmann Petit Corona a few weeks ago. Not bad for a quickie.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Don Pepin Garcia Blue (Original) Demi Tasse - 4.5 x 32 - are advertised as a petite corona, but they're really a cigarillo in my book. I like em for a quickie smoke, although the ring guage is a little too small to get lots of smoke. If you're used to smoking cigarillos anyway, I'd give them a try.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I've had the petite Tatuajes and they taste fantastic. I smoke slow so I made it last about 30-40 minutes, but this should fit your 20 minute timeline.
  • R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I've got a good list to start smoking through! Thanks again!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Well, I didn't see this one mentioned, but the H. Uppman Demitasse is an incredibly flavorful mini cigar. The LFD Carajos are, as kuzi said, little flavor bombs and great for a short, intense smoke.

Does anyone have input on the Davidoff cigarillos? I'd really like to try them, but would want some positive feedback first.
  • jekowjekow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12
    R_M_G:
    Okay, lately I haven't had a lick of time to just relax with a smoke... I know, it's tragic. I have discovered that I can usually pull out 20 minutes to sit down with some sort of cigarillo and relax a bit, but I'm having a hard time finding something I like... I've tried little cigarillos by Don Lino and Macanudo Ascots, the Macanudos were more like a typical cigar but those don lino things were so short and thin that the smoke was way hot and almost sour... Anyone know of a good cigarillo? Something that won't take an hour to smoke or that I won't feel bad for snuffing out early?

I've tried both and agree with you about the Don Lino, it's a shame because I really like the pre-light smell of them.

I think the problem with Cigarillos is simply physics related. When you have a small diameter/short cigar, the strength of your draw will pull more of the tars and heat into your mouth.

To counteract that, you must pull shorter and less frequently which unfortunately lengthens the cigar smoke time.

I've found I enjoy the cigarillo size the most when I smoke them slow and infrequently draw on them...letting them cool in between puffs.

Another thing I try is after I pull a draw in, I will push a puff OUT through the cigar. My theory is that that will PUSH all the crap out toward the end of the cigar and I'll have a more pleasant experience.

Just my ideas. I'm not experienced enough to recommend anything though.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Someone else mentioned the Onyx Impulses, I second those. Very flavorful smoke for the size. Also check out CAO MX2 Daggers, you'll be amazed at how good they are.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    jekow:
    I think the problem with Cigarillos is simply physics related. When you have a small diameter/short cigar, the strength of your draw will pull more of the tars and heat into your mouth.

To counteract that, you must pull shorter and less frequently which unfortunately lengthens the cigar smoke time.
    Spot on. What you're doing is driving more oxygen into the burning tobacco which causes the fire to burn hotter (think of the effect of bellowing on a forge). If you don't change the way you puff between cigarillos and ring gauges then you're pulling a much larger rate of oxygen through the lit end (MUCH hotter burn). Hotter burn means you're forcing some more of the heavy (usually bitter) oils into smoke and also "cooking" some of the lighter oils alread turned to smoke.

If you can't decrease your rate or length of puff then draw slower/lighter and you will find the flavors stay intact much better.

Also, for the record I enjoy Montecristo White Prontos for a quick smoke (4.0" x 33)
  • R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    Conclusion reached thus far: Cigarillos suck. "small cigars" are the way to go! I got a tin of H. Upmann Aperitifs and a tin of Cohiba Pequenos and both were freakin amazing compared to those limp little cigarillo things! Along with those I got some Tatiana flavored cigarillos and those things are a joke, to hot and sour to smoke, they're much better if you just suck on them! I would also like to hear some feedback about the Davidoff miniatures... I would really like to try them but $12 a pop is pretty steep for a 20 minute smoke! Cigars aren't the only things in life that costs money!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    The Davidovs should last a lot longer than 20 minutes. Any of the cigarillos I've had are a solid 45 minutes or more if you smoke it right. If you're burning through a 3.5 inch or 4 inch cigar that quickly with that small a ring gauge, you'll make it taste disgusting.