Home Cigar 101

Pronunciation

Comments

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    j0z3r:
    Well, whatever. If you guys want to split hairs over how best to break the word up into syllables, knock yourselves out. I know how to say the word and hopefully firetruckguy does too now.
    I thought you were right on. I was just throwin out a different way that produced the same sound. My bad.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Well, whatever. If you guys want to split hairs over how best to break the word up into syllables, knock yourselves out. I know how to say the word and hopefully firetruckguy does too now.
    I thought you were right on. I was just throwin out a different way that produced the same sound. My bad.
    Nah, I think my post came off kinda not how I intended. Poor choice of words on my part. I just think it's funny how people try and break down the sounds of a word and essentially come up with the same thing slightly changed.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I just read all these Posts..... I smoke Cigars , I take the Ted Nugent Approach..... This is America Americans speak English.... Do the best you can with these words. I remember the first time I pulled up to My ATM and it said English or SPanish....... I damn near drove through the Building! I have many friends of many differnt nations, I speak Lakota Sioux.... thats true american Language was here before the White Man sooooooooooo why doesnt everyone speak Native American languages? LOL I am an *** tonight Sorry ! ROTFLMAO
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I just read all these Posts..... I smoke Cigars , I take the Ted Nugent Approach..... This is America Americans speak English.... Do the best you can with these words. I remember the first time I pulled up to My ATM and it said English or SPanish....... I damn near drove through the Building! I have many friends of many differnt nations, I speak Lakota Sioux.... thats true american Language was here before the White Man sooooooooooo why doesnt everyone speak Native American languages? LOL I am an *** tonight Sorry ! ROTFLMAO
    Hahaha well I speak a little bit of sehaptain! What now?? ;)
    Alex Williams:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    LOL this is fun! My wife just said she speaks Vulcan !
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Alex Williams:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    LOL this is fun! My wife just said she speaks Vulcan !
    Damn I don't know what that is... Well I got Southern, german, and American covered! And when I say I knew a little bit of sehaptain I meant <30 words that I picked up on my mission trips to a reservation haha.
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Gotta tell ya Ozzie, I was gonna take a Native American language class in HS but they were all full up, so Spanish it was...what else was I gonna do, learn French? Now there's a language that has zero worth to me.
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Gotta tell ya Ozzie, I was gonna take a Native American language class in HS but they were all full up, so Spanish it was...what else was I gonna do, learn French? Now there's a language that has zero worth to me.
    I'm not so sure about that joz3r. It seems like someone with a pink barbie blanket would LOVE French ;)
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I'm not so sure about that joz3r. It seems like someone with a pink barbie blanket would LOVE French ;)
    Parlez-Vous my ass and your face. Big Smile [:D] How's that for some French?
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Haha touche you douche ;) du bist sehr fraulich! <-- that's german right there
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Haha touche you douche ;) du bist sehr fraulich!
    I'm pumping some German blood, but the only words I care about are Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. :)
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I'm pumping some German blood, but the only words I care about are Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. :)
    Haha amen to that one! Well those and Bier (beer)
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I'll drink to that.
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Williams:
    j0z3r:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I'll drink to that.
    I think we have all lost out Minds!
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    You are thinking about this all wrong, j0z3r. You take French because all the prettiest girls take French. To make it even better, I was the only male in the room. And the teacher was fresh from college, and a hottie. Beat hell out of the tubby Spanish teacher.
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    You are thinking about this all wrong, j0z3r. You take French because all the prettiest girls take French. To make it even better, I was the only male in the room. And the teacher was fresh from college, and a hottie. Beat hell out of the tubby Spanish teacher.
    Well I'll be...where were you and your sagely advice when I was in HS? Never would have thought of that, I was too busy being an idiot. :)
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    Cubao = ku-bow ? correct?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Stryker808:
    thats how i always said it.
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    kuzi16:
    Stryker808:
    thats how i always said it.

Not 'ku-bay-oh'? That's how I've been saying it.
    How is "Cugine" pronounced?

And what about "Arganese"? Is it ar-ga-nay-zay?
    urbino:
    How is "Cugine" pronounced?

And what about "Arganese"? Is it ar-ga-nay-zay?
    I get the impression you may be joking about the second part, but since it is the owner's last name I think it is just like it looks, like Chinese only Arganese, from Argana.

I'd imagine Cugine is coo-geen-ay.
    No, I was dead serious, Joe. I didn't know the owner's name was Argana. "Arganese" looks like it could be Italian.
    urbino:
    No, I was dead serious, Joe. I didn't know the owner's name was Argana. "Arganese" looks like it could be Italian.
    Another ccom forum mis-communication, how many is that now 10,000? Well, the guy's name is Gene Arganese actually, I made a failed attempt at a joke about him being from the (fictional) country of Argana, which would therefor make him Arganese. :) But quite right, it does sound like it could be Italian, and in fact Gene Arganese is of Italian descent according to an article found on a quick google search.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    Another ccom forum mis-communication, how many is that now 10,000? Well, the guy's name is Gene Arganese actually, I made a failed attempt at a joke about him being from the (fictional) country of Argana, which would therefor make him Arganese. :) But quite right, it does sound like it could be Italian, and in fact Gene Arganese is of Italian descent according to an article found on a quick google search.
    rofl. So funny.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ok, I got another one for you guys - Puro

Is it "Pure-Oh", or "Poo-Roe"

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    wwhwang:
    Poo-Roe.
    You are wrong on that. Poo Roe is what you eat when you cant afford Beluga. LOL
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    beatnic:
    wwhwang:
    Poo-Roe.
    You are wrong on that. Poo Roe is what you eat when you cant afford Beluga. LOL

ha ha, that does look pretty funny. but I think your ok saying it either way. "Pure-Oh", or "Poo-Ro" I don't think any one would mistake what your saying.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Laissez les bon temps rouler
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    On a side not, I just noticed this thread. this is F'ing hilarious.

Been living in California for 15 + years now so alot of this stuff is second nature to me now, but I do my fare share of it too. I've been pronouncing the g in Ligero, instead of "Li hair oh" till I saw Tim do it on a Ccom video. whoops. Bet I looked real cool calling it "Lee Gair Oh" tobacco. hahaha. And anytime I see a number I think English (five vegas and a hundred anos) which doesn't make any sense, but I do. But I don't thin any of that is a big deal either way. You won't offend anyone or look like an idiot.

for those not familiar with spanish, a few bigger rules of thumb.

E's are pronounces like "eh" if you're from canada
    As are usually pronounced like "ah" rather than "ay"
    J's are pronounced like h's - think Anejo for these first three, that's pronounced "Ah-Nay-Ho"
    G's go either way, so good luck there, but I really don't think its a huge deal either way.
    LL is pronounced like y.
    C's are like an s most of the time. Cusano would be an exception there.
    Que is like the letter K
    And lastly the accent almost always falls on the second to last syllable of every word. Think Partagas, I say "Par-TAH-gahs" and never gotten any funny looks.
    If the accent is supposed to be anywhere else, there will usually be an accent over the syllable your supposed to accent. think Padron being "pa-DROHN," not "PA-dron."
    I'm a total novice at spanish, so if I'm forgetting any other big ones, feel free to add in here.

But honestly if its just a word, like tatuaje, "ta-twa-hay" or Anejo "Ah-Nay-Ho" you'll look a little silly pronouncing like in english, but its really not the end of the world. The one thing I do try to do is pronounce it correctly if its someone's name though. I just think that's respectful of anyone. If its someone's name I think we owe it to them to try to pronounce it mostly correctly, once you know how. Padilla, Padron, Oliva, Garcia, and I'm blanking on more brands that use someone's name.