Home General Discussion

A bit of an experiment - need some help

xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
We all know the "cigar count" on humidors is always off; whereas most humidors are rated for corona's, many of us enjoy churchills, perfecto's, salomons, etc. So the traditional method of counting space is off. Right now the general formula is "(Length x Width x Height/7)" - regardless of which type of cigar vitola you enjoy, this number is always wildly off.

I've got two humidors; one is 10.5" x 4 x 9, is rated for 50, but actually holds somewhere between 35 and 40. So if we change the formula to (L x W x H/10), we get 37.8, which is much more accurate than dividing by 7.

What I'm trying to do is rework the formula to get a more accurate number, and I need you guys to post your humidor dimensions (exterior dimensions), as well as the number of cigars it actually holds, and do a little math to figure out how accurate dividing by 10 is - if 10 isn't accurate, which number is makes the formula work?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    Haha im an engineering major and this is waaaaaaay too much math. gimme a minute ill figure it out
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    meh, I think I wrote the formula wrong - the typical thing is volume divided by 7; I'm wondering if dividing by 10 is more accurate. Sorry for the confusion
    Ok results -- My humi is 15 x 10.5 x 6.5 inches. I made a good estimate that if i crammed as many cigars as i could possibly fit into my humidor, I would fit 120. By traditional methods, my humidor would hold 146 cigars, and by your method it would hold 102. However, none of my cigars are over 56 ring gauge, and most of them are about 6". So, if I was not a poor college kid and I had a wider spectrum of cigars, I would say I could probably fit about 100-110 in my humidor. Final judgement, I'd say dividing outside volume by 9 or 10 is definitely better than 7.
    xmacro:
    meh, I think I wrote the formula wrong - the typical thing is volume divided by 7; I'm wondering if dividing by 10 is more accurate. Sorry for the confusion
    Nah you're good.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I'll get the dimensions when I can find the paper that came with my humi. All I know is that I have 109 cigars right now and have a 100, 50 and 20 count humi filled to the brim. I can't fit one more cigar in any of them. Well, I can fit one more because I just had one. I've been using Tupperware to get me through the rough times of having too many sticks.
    A tape measure is good enough; hell, even a ruler is enough - just need some numbers :)
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    xmacro:
    A tape measure is good enough; hell, even a ruler is enough - just need some numbers :)
    Yes but you see...that requires effort.

(no idea on the dimension of mine either, and it's not full so I have no contribution here)

Curious to see what you come up with though.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    xmacro:
    We all know the "cigar count" on humidors is always off; whereas most humidors are rated for corona's, many of us enjoy churchills, perfecto's, salomons, etc. So the traditional method of counting space is off. Right now the general formula is "(Length x Width x Height/7)" - regardless of which type of cigar vitola you enjoy, this number is always wildly off.

I've got two humidors; one is 10.5" x 4 x 9, is rated for 50, but actually holds somewhere between 35 and 40. So if we change the formula to (L x W x H/10), we get 37.8, which is much more accurate than dividing by 7.

What I'm trying to do is rework the formula to get a more accurate number, and I need you guys to post your humidor dimensions (exterior dimensions), as well as the number of cigars it actually holds, and do a little math to figure out how accurate dividing by 10 is - if 10 isn't accurate, which number is makes the formula work?

Thanks for any help

WOW this post gave me MIND MELD... I am no Mathematician... I get cigars, fill the humis, then go to Tupperdoor etc... I have a dream of a wall unit holds around 3000 cigars just for the hell of it, No Boxes, Just singels and 5 packs, stack and stack ans stack have a nice display make my wife thrilled and love life.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I a personally of the opinion that we are sort of working backwards here. I believe they put a number of cigars on humidors because people wanted a number of sticks rather than just measurements. Now when they give it to us in sticks we want measurements, lol.

Either way, I just figure on 2/3 of the stated capacity. If you are buying just go big and don't worry about it, lmao.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Sorry man, I tried to get into this. I have several different sized humis and start "cramming" one then decided I need more time. If you're not in a hurry, I'll keep this thread in mind and shoot you some #s over the weekend.
    One2gofst:
    I a personally of the opinion that we are sort of working backwards here. I believe they put a number of cigars on humidors because people wanted a number of sticks rather than just measurements. Now when they give it to us in sticks we want measurements, lol.

Either way, I just figure on 2/3 of the stated capacity. If you are buying just go big and don't worry about it, lmao.
    I don't see it as working backwards at all - it's a refinement. If I offered to sell you a humidor and told you it was 5x4x7, that wouldn't mean much to you. So you ask me, "How many nails will fit in there?" And I reply "175" - and then I condition that on you storing petites in there. Is that realistic? Of course not! Which is why the formula needs to be changed, so that it spits out an accurate number and we have a better idea of how many nails will actually fit into a given humidor when buying online.
    ljl:
    Sorry man, I tried to get into this. I have several different sized humis and start "cramming" one then decided I need more time. If you're not in a hurry, I'll keep this thread in mind and shoot you some #s over the weekend.
    No hurry - I'm here all week (try the veal)

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    OK X. Mine is 18"W X 11"D X 8"H It is abolsutely packed at 125. Its a 150ct. according to the Manufacturer. (In all honesty they told me up front that it depends on the size cigars I have). You must know though, I have some beads in there and a wooden rectangular "thing" that a regulator fits inside of that takes up room as well.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    xmacro:
    One2gofst:

I don't see it as working backwards at all - it's a refinement. If I offered to sell you a humidor and told you it was 5x4x7, that wouldn't mean much to you. So you ask me, "How many nails will fit in there?" And I reply "175" - and then I condition that on you storing petites in there. Is that realistic? Of course not! Which is why the formula needs to be changed, so that it spits out an accurate number and we have a better idea of how many nails will actually fit into a given humidor when buying online.
    Hmm....I have to say, I don't store a single nail in my humidor...
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hays:
    xmacro:
    One2gofst:

Hmm....I have to say, I don't store a single nail in my humidor...
    Haha +1
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    Hey Xmacro (and everyone else for that matter),

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge math geek, as if that wasn't made plain by the fact that after months of lurking *this* is the post I decided shall be my first.

What you're proposing is going to get real complicated real quickly because of how many variables there are. Not only is your vitola going to matter, but so is the way you arrange the cigars and how much space is taken up inside by humidification devices, as well as trays/dividers/drawers etc.

I've been running some of the numbers (even made an Excel spreadsheet for it...) and there's a huge spread. For instance your humi can be considered over 300ct if you're using 4 X 33 petites and standing them up on their feet. What vitola do you mostly have in your humi? That will help me refine some numbers.

It might be good just to multiply the rated count by 2/3. That comes pretty close to right on your humi as well.
    Yeah, seems 2/3 might be a good rule of thumb to go by given the incredible variables; I mostly enjoy churchills, so a typical size is 7x52 or thereabouts. Thanks for the help!
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    So I'm calculating that if you crammed your empty humi (no humidification devices either) you could get it to hold ~55 churchills. In order to get some humidification in there though it would bring it down to ~47.

I was thinking about this and we have someone here who calculates stick count all the time: Waxingmoon! I ran some of his numbers through and it seems that his stick count is MUCH more realistic (less of a gap between "claimed" and what the volumetric calculation says is possible) than some of the examples posted here.

Maybe he could shed some light on this for you.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I just dug up this old thread be ajar I got curious. I did the math for mine: 2,221 traditional count, 1555 if divided by 10. Either way, it'll hold 1000 or better... I better build a bigger one before too long.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    cabinetmaker:
    I just dug up this old thread be ajar I got curious. I did the math for mine: 2,221 traditional count, 1555 if divided by 10. Either way, it'll hold 1000 or better... I better build a bigger one before too long.
    Sounds to me like you're screwed..... Might as well just pack up your inventory and ship it to me. I don't think this cigar thing is working out for you. You could always collect baseball cards, or something......

2221????? Are you frickin serious?!?!?!?!? LOL!!!!! What's scary is that when you say you need to build a bigger one, I know you're dead serious.