Home General Discussion

Some info about cigars

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
Just to point out, I am still new and trying to learn as much as I can about these cigars. I find them very interesting and keep wanting to learn a bit more about it. Now for my brain fart that I am having... I went to RP website and saw all the videos and how they make the cigars and everything, very cool. Then reading alot of different cigar brands, I see that for example I see that AJ Fernandez does cigars for RP, like his fusion, ITC 10th anniversary and others as well. The I see that RP really does not have his own farms, but he buys from others, like Oliva family.... I see alot of cigars are made by someone else but branded by them, is this normal and why?? So who really owns all the plantations and are there only a few major suppliers of this and everyone just says its their plantations?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    You should really go to the Ccom main website and sign up for their catalog - every month, in addition to the typical advertisements, they do interviews with some of the cigar industries biggest names, as well as an article or two on how the industry operates. In the January issue, they had a good article on the salomon-sized cigars, as well as Pensylvania broadleaf maduro and how AJ Fernandez figured how to use it to its potential

I can't remember exactly, but they did an interview a month or two ago with the owners of one of the biggest tobacco farms - apparently, about 90-95% of all cigars use tobacco from this farm (the exception being Davidoff and a few others who like to retain control over the growing of their tobacco). So from what I understand, there's a few manufacturers who own their own farms, but for the most part, most rollers buy their tobacco from a few large farms that sell to everyone
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I have also noticed the same things- blenders creating blends for different manufacturers and manufacturers that buy tobacco instead of growing their own.

It seems like a conflict of interest for blenders (especially ones that have their own brand) that make blends for other manufacturers. I am unclear on the reasons why, but I have some theories. If you are starting out as a relatively unknown blender, creating a well-received stick for a well-known manufacturer can boost your credibility and help you find more work. On the flipside, a manufacturer can generate excitement about a new line of cigars if it was being blended by a well-known and talented blender. In this role, I compare blenders to contractors or consultants.

As for why some manufacturers don't grow their own tobacco, I am more confident in my theory. There is the cost factor. Sometimes, it is not worth the time of the manufacturer to grow tobacco because of all the related expenses. This is analogous to if car manufacturers made their own nuts and bolts. Because of economies of scale, it's probably cheaper to buy tobacco from other plantations than to grow your own. Related to that, the growers have many years of expertise that some manufacturers don't. A second reason in my theory has to do with quality. Families like the Olivas and the Plascencias are some of the top growers in the world. Following this line of logic, it would stand that they also own the best lands for growing. For a manufacturer, where quality is paramount, they would likely have a better product if they bought tobacco from these sources.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Thanks for that info!! It makes sense to do it that way.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Some up and coming factories may take on blending or rolling cigars for other makers just to keep their folks employed. If they have good people it behooves them to keep them working and gainfully employed. I also agree that a "hot" blender also is contracted to make something for another maker just to increase sales and generate excitement. AJ Fernandez is the perfect example. The guy is in his early 30's and has gained immense prestige with some of his blends. Another factor to consider is all the different types of tobacco there is and trying to grow all the different types and the different methods needed to do that is not practical. We also recognize that identical tobacco grown in different regions invariably will taste different as well and therefore create a demand for it. It is a complex system of growers, curing processes and blending techniques that makes this industry so unique. It also seems that most cigar makers do not have a us vs them mentatlity to their products. There seems to be much more emphasis on coming up with the next blend or twist that propels them back to the forefront.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I think they do this for the same reason musical artists will remix other people's songs. When you keep the competition friendly and do some colaborations from time to time, it only benefits the whole industry!