Home General Discussion

Gurkha Regent issues/disappointment

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
So I cut a Gurkha Regent Toro 6 x 50 yesterday and began to take in the pre-light draw when all of a sudden the wrapper near where the cap used to be started to slightly unravel. I carefully made sure not to touch it and be gentle while I lit it up. Well I lit it up and a few draws later the ENTIRE wrapper decided to unravel!! Any reasons why it might do this other than poor construction?

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Only other explanation I can think of is it was all dried out, but you would have noticed that.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    The only thing consistent about Gurkha Cigars is the fact that you will have wrapper issues and burn issues 90% of the time. I love Gurkha. Love them. Ask anyone. 90% of the time they have an issue. I pull out any other cigar from my humidor and no issues. For some reason Gurkha Cigars unravel, split, and burn uneven more than any other brand.
  • jet057jet057 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    OLD,cheaply made imo,it has happened to alot thats why i don't buy that crap!whats good imo is the cuban legacy,it well made and tasty.If you do buy gurkha buy them in the chuchill then use a punch cutter in stead of a gillotine.Stay away from old gurkha cigars yule know cause they sell cheap but still to much money for bad Quality.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    That's funny, I've smoked a lot of Gurkha's in my relatively short experience and hardly ever have wrapper and burn issues. Maybe I'm just lucky (or maybe the 90% is all the stock I have sitting in my humi's!).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Duder2:
    That's funny, I've smoked a lot of Gurkha's in my relatively short experience and hardly ever have wrapper and burn issues. Maybe I'm just lucky (or maybe the 90% is all the stock I have sitting in my humi's!).
    im with you on this. i used to smoke gurkha like it was g oin out of style...

...then it did.

...but i never had all the issues with them like people speak of. in the original pos tthe thing that caught my eye was:

"where the cap used to be"

if the cap is gone on ANY cigar the thing will unravel. a few posts up someone said use a punch. that is good advice. i think the same person said not to buy older gurkha. i think the quality on older gurkhas is better than on the newer ones. the regents and centurians in my humidor from 06 and 07 are better than the ones from 09 and the newer blends, IMO, tend to be less complex and enjoyable.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Hmm maybe you clipped a little too much of the cap off. That's the only thing I can think would cause something like this.
    I smoke a ton of Gurkha and I never have any issues with them.
    Like the others have said try using a punch cut next time.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I've never had a Gurkha unravel on me. I agree that most do find other ways to dissapoint, though. I do like the microbatch S-2's though; centurians too.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    kuzi16:
    Duder2:

...then it did.

...but i never had all the issues with them like people speak of. in the original pos tthe thing that caught my eye was:

if the cap is gone on ANY cigar the thing will unravel. a few posts up someone said use a punch. that is good advice. i think the same person said not to buy older gurkha. i think the quality on older gurkhas is better than on the newer ones. the regents and centurians in my humidor from 06 and 07 are better than the ones from 09 and the newer blends, IMO, tend to be less complex and enjoyable.

Kuzi yea I may have cut too much off, my cutter is pretty dull and I never really figured out how much to cut off, I try about 1/8 of an inch or so. I need to get a punch and a new guilottine..
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    jsnake:
    The only thing consistent about Gurkha Cigars is the fact that you will have wrapper issues and burn issues 90% of the time. I love Gurkha. Love them. Ask anyone. 90% of the time they have an issue. I pull out any other cigar from my humidor and no issues. For some reason Gurkha Cigars unravel, split, and burn uneven more than any other brand.
    I would have to dis-agree. I find that out of all the blends I've had from gurkha (which is almost all of them) I've had minor burn issues. Though I don't like all of them, regent is one of them, they usually burn well. I do believe I've had more gurkha's than any other cigar brand and I've had more issues with CAO than any other brand, well with the Italia and Brazilian.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    illinoisgolf99:
    kuzi16:
    Duder2:

...then it did.

Kuzi yea I may have cut too much off, my cutter is pretty dull and I never really figured out how much to cut off, I try about 1/8 of an inch or so. I need to get a punch and a new guilottine..
    If you look carefully at the end of your cigar where the cap is, you can see where the cap ends. Sometimes there will be up to three caps. Carefully place your cutter so that the blades stay above the line where the cap ends. If you remove the whole cap... there is nothing there to hold the rolled cigar together.

As a means of determining where to cut a stick, you can try this.

Lay the cutter flat on a table top. Place the cap of the cigar into the cutter and be sure the end of the cigar is in contact with the surface of the table. If you slightly pinch the cap and pick up the cutter you can finish your cut and be sure that you have NOT removed too much of the wrapper.

After doing that a few times you will have a good idea as to how little of the cap you should remove.
  • DaveTheRookie09DaveTheRookie09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 58
    I personally don't own one but my local B&M sells cutters with a back on them so your only able to get the cap 1/8 of an inch in if that... sometimes you have to cut twice on bigger cigars but I love using them when I am there since 99% of all the other times I smoke I use my punch...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    DaveTheRookie09:
    I personally don't own one but my local B&M sells cutters with a back on them so your only able to get the cap 1/8 of an inch in if that... sometimes you have to cut twice on bigger cigars but I love using them when I am there since 99% of all the other times I smoke I use my punch...
    i have seen these.

fantastic idea. you can use them on a torp but you have to cut about 4 times. if that isnt a problem those cutters are great.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    kuzi16:
    DaveTheRookie09:
    i have seen these.

fantastic idea. you can use them on a torp but you have to cut about 4 times. if that isnt a problem those cutters are great.
    Dennis King posted somthing like that...

dennisking:
    I use this cutter, pretty fool proof

• pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    Nice! Ive got to get me one of those. My $3 guillotine isnt cuttin it for me. Ha!
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Well I based my statement off of personal experience and the experiences of friends as well as what I hear on other forums. If you cut the cap off yeah that would not be the manufacturers fault. I have had issues with other brands. I still love my Gurkhas though and will tolerate the little problems. I have so many of them and smoke so many that I just might not have experienced others enough.