Home General Discussion

Cheap Sticks

pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
I've been smoking for about a year now, but my friends and I are all college kids and we cant afford anything pricey. Aside from the daily deals, yall have any recommendations for good cheap sticks? Were gonna try and pool a little money together and make a big order soon.

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Frankly the daily deals are the best way to get good sticks at great prices. I haven't tried them but others rave about the Ccom house blends. IMO, for box prices regularly, Diesels are a good buy as are Nica Libre and 5 Vegas.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    I hear the Ccom house blends are a good place to start, and they're on sale right now. I just ordered my first box myself. I also enjoy the Oliveros 1927 and XL Bold and they are both $2.50 a stick in bundles. What do you consider cheap? At $3.50 a stick there is all kinds of good stuff. Diesels are $3.33 in box quantity and I think they are fantastic. That's just a few of the top of my head...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    What's your budget? Are you looking for under $5? Under $3? 50 cents a stick?

I like the Flor de Olivas. Those are about $2.50 each when you buy a bundle. The Cuban Legacy by Gurkha is good for under $3 when you buy 20. Anything by 5 Vegas is usually reasonable and very enjoyable.

I'd say the best thing to do, is for you and your college buddies to come up with a budget of what you wanna spend a month on cigars, pool your money together, open a paypal account, and go in on some Daily Deals or Weekly Specials or Weekend Blitzes. Then you can divey up the smokes and average about $3 a stick.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I second daily deals - they recently had Gukha Centurians, a $20 stick - they had 5 for $25 (yeah, they had a $20 stick going for $5 - a 75% discount)
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Not sure what your budget it like, but you could check out Segundos. They avg about $3 or $4 a cigar and smoke as good as the firsts, only difference is cosmetic.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    If you're new to cigars and want to figure out which sticks are right for you, the CCOM house blends are the way to go! you can get 3 each of the 7 house blends for $48 and like people have said they are on sale now for boxes.. check out the DD's and keep an eye on the sales here! good luck and happy smoking!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    The cheapest smokes I know of and are rather tasty are the ccom red label. Though I'd let them rest for a few months. The blues are good too, as are the Brazilians. nestor maduro's are good too, though they need some down time as well. 3 siglos are also recommended.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Pick up a box of the Reposado '96. Haven't tried the maduro or connecticut, but the habano is great and you just can't beat 40 sticks for $99.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    lilwing88:

I like the Flor de Olivas. Those are about $2.50 each when you buy a bundle. The Cuban Legacy by Gurkha is good for under $3 when you buy 20. Anything by 5 Vegas is usually reasonable and very enjoyable.

I'd say the best thing to do, is for you and your college buddies to come up with a budget of what you wanna spend a month on cigars, pool your money together, open a paypal account, and go in on some Daily Deals or Weekly Specials or Weekend Blitzes. Then you can divey up the smokes and average about $3 a stick.
    I'm lookin for the 3-4 dollar range. I like those flor de olivas a lot, but they're not very full-bodied. anything stronger? I've been meaning to try the 5 Vegas. We've gotten a couple weekend blitzes before, the Alec Bradley sampler in particular was awesome. Sounds like a good plan tho!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Gran Habano Makes some good inexpensive full bodied smokes.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    pnaylon:
    lilwing88:

I'm lookin for the 3-4 dollar range. I like those flor de olivas a lot, but they're not very full-bodied. anything stronger? I've been meaning to try the 5 Vegas. We've gotten a couple weekend blitzes before, the Alec Bradley sampler in particular was awesome. Sounds like a good plan tho!
    If you want stronger than the Flors, go with the Gurkha Cuban Legacy..... full bodied, med to full strength. A very smooth Maduro.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I am a haggled cigar veteran but I am also very cheap. I rarely pay more than $2 a stick including shipping and smoke plenty of good cigars. You have to shop all the daily deals on the web and be ready to buy 5 or 10/more when they are available.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    gotta agree, Vintage 2002 are really great for the price, or for more! on second thought, don't but these, I understand the supply is limited, and I've only been able to afford three bundles so far.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    Thanks a lot guys, I've got a lot of great ideas for my next order! Maybe in a year or 2 when ive got my engineering degree ill send yall a couple celebratory sticks!
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Hey Patrick, you got a PM
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    A little help....stupid question here......I'm going to buy a box of the ccom house blend. Do I get the Cuban or Red label??? I like both blends......but haven't had either of them in several months.
  • dubiousmonkdubiousmonk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
    full bodied? Cheap yet good? Cu-Avana Intenso...
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Indian Tabac Reserve for a CT and the Cameroon Legend Perdomo Fresh Rollled - under $2 bucks Flor de Copan
    dubiousmonk:
    You got that right. The robusto is a great everyday smoke and the torpedo will make you silly it is so good.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    fla-gypsy:
    dubiousmonk:
    You got that right. The robusto is a great everyday smoke and the torpedo will make you silly it is so good.
    +1 billion. Best full bodied smoke for the money, hands down. If you call in your order and beg Jeff Jackson for a great deal, he just might surprise you! Online ordering is for noobs.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    really didn't like the Intenso. It was good but it was harsh in my opinion. I like the Diesel and LFD DL and Cain so full body isn't a problem but it seemed like the CuAvana was a little acrid. Like a formaldehyde taste.
    keep an eye on those daily deals though, there are some really good ones that pop through there.
    pm me and I will give you a link to a really great deal. I don't post it publicly though but lets just say, you won't find these sticks anywhere else cheaper.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    dennisking:
    really didn't like the Intenso. It was good but it was harsh in my opinion. I like the Diesel and LFD DL and Cain so full body isn't a problem but it seemed like the CuAvana was a little acrid. Like a formaldehyde taste.
    keep an eye on those daily deals though, there are some really good ones that pop through there.
    pm me and I will give you a link to a really great deal. I don't post it publicly though but lets just say, you won't find these sticks anywhere else cheaper.
    Hmm, sounds like you got a bad one, Dennis. I've had three or so, and have given many away in trades and to friends and everyone seems to love them. If you get a chance, give them another try.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Gurkha Sherpas, Sherpa Cafe's & Park Avenues are all good smokes that are easy on the pocketbook! Most Olivas are a touch more expensive ($3-5 range) and every Oliva brand Ive tried has been excellent.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I'm not a big fan of the intenso. I've had 4 or 5 of them, and I find that there's not a whole lot of taste. Who knows, maybe it was a bad batch, but they were smoked over the course of several months so I had hoped that they'd get a little better with age.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    hmm...no one has recommende the "Primeros", maybe I'm the only one buying them, (or admitting to it) but if you're on a tight budget these are very reasonably priced and are decent smokes. I tried the variety pack, and found that the Dominicans are good morning cigars, the Cosa Ricans are a fair maduro for evening, and the Cuban pretty much any time. A couple of other advantages are that you can not finish one and not feel too guilty about it, also, buy another variety sampler, the Baker's Dozen is a good deal, and let them age while smoking the cheapies.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    tankbonnies:
    A little help....stupid question here......I'm going to buy a box of the ccom house blend. Do I get the Cuban or Red label??? I like both blends......but haven't had either of them in several months.
    Cuban Label! One of the few cigars I love in the Churchill size.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    for full bodied and cheap, take advantage of the weekend blitz this weekend! a BOX of 5 Vegas Cask Strength II for $59.95!!!!! That's INSANE