Home General Discussion

Just saying hello

Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
I am new to "forums", have been following this one for a while and have really enjoyed what I've seen. I have to admit, I never thought I would be into this kind of thing, but it is nice to hear opinions from others who are into cigars like I am. While not new to cigars, I find that I learn new things all the time, life is good. Computers I'm not so familiar with, so if I mess up how I do this, sorry! For instance, can't figure out how to get the picture to go with the signature, any help is appreciated. My only posts so far have been regarding the Daily Deal, which I check out every day whether I can afford it or not. On this note, I have learned that one can say too much by saying too little. I sort of feel I owe an apology to Clearly Suspect after relating my experiences with RP Puro Cubano the other day. Indeed, my first one was terrible, tasted like someone had dropped it in insecticide, not sure why this was so. The second was really good, just what I was expecting, until it started coming apart. With all this said, they may still be fine cigars, I should have emphasized that I'd ONLY had two, could have been the luck of the draw. For instance, my first RP Sun Grown was magnificent! I immediately bought 6 more, and paid full price. All was well until about the third, which swelled, split, burned unevenly, and was generally a disappointment, as did the next one. The rest were great. So, I try not to form a solid opinion until I've had a few of something. I've noticed that several folks are new to cigars in general, and it seems you've been getting good advice here. I'd like to put in my two-cents, for what it's worth, might answer some questions that new smokers have: 1. Get a humidor 2. Use the humidor, by which I mean don't smoke the cigars right away, you'll find that most will be considerably better in a week or two, and are likely to keep improving. 3. A cutter or punch is a real plus, also a torch lighter. 4. There's a fellow on here whose signature is "Long Ashes...", which I like, and to me qualifies as good advice in its own way. What I mean is, a lot of the flavor is in the wrapper, the wrapper should burn ahead of the body, and leaving the ash on facililtates this and makes the cigar taste better. I put this in because I know guys who are constantly wiping the ash off. Of course, everything is a matter of personal taste. 5. Don't lick the cigar! The old men at the pool hall and barber shop when I was a kid would do this, they taught me that this made it burn better, acted as an instant humidifier, etc. Took a while, but I did learn better. I don't know how this got started, but, see 1. above, use the humidor. 6. Lastly, if you are trying to interest someone in cigars, and they ask: "Are these good for making Blunts with?" Don't waste your good cigar, send them to the gas station. (Ha-Ha) Looking forward to reading more from all out there, happy to make your acquaintances!!!

Comments