Home General Discussion

B&M Appreciation (or Hate) Thread

bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
I'm not sure if this has been done before, but this morning I got to thinking about my local B&M and the trip I made there yesterday, and I realized how much I really, really love the place. So, I decided I'd start a thread centered around everyone's love (or hate) of their local B&M.

Some general guidelines, just to keep the clutter down and then I'll start:

1. Say the name(s) of the B&M, and the region (for other BOTLs in the same area that may not know about it)

2. List all the reasons you like it (or dislike it)

3. And just for kicks, name one thing that you feel could make it much better

I have two in north-central Ohio, but I mostly go to Sandusky Bay Cigars in Sandusky.

Before opening his shop, the owner, Darrin Hildebrand, spent 8 years rolling cigars and studying tobacco and blending techniques in both Honduras and Nicaragua under some of the biggest names in cigars. After his time there, he obtained a master roller/blender certification at the Bobalu Cigar Rollers School, where he studied under the supervision of two Cuban defectees in order to operate here in the states at his shop. Some pictures I snapped while I was there yesterday, I apologize for the quality:

Darrin rolling:
Photobucket

A culebra he rolled:
Photobucket

He makes several trips during the year to buy cured tobacco stock from plantations in many of the tobacco growing countries in Central and South America including Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Mexico, Brazil, and Ecuador, as well as the Cameroon growing region in Africa. He uses the same rolling and blending stock used by the industry's best boutique cigar manufacturers in his sticks, and let me tell you, I've had some of his blends and they are on par or better in both flavor and construction than a lot of the cigars on the market today.

On top of the great locally-rolled boutique cigars he produces, his prices are more than fair, at times undercutting online prices of certain cigars and brands. His selection is also top-shelf, and he hosts several cigar events throughout the year, including Oliva, Camacho, and CAO to name a few.

You're always welcome to light up in his cigar lounge where the chairs are nice and comfy, and the many other people that frequent his shop are always friendly. You can come in, have some coffee or a soda, and sit and chat with Darrin or his other customers.

The only negative thing I could ever say about the place (though largely unimportant in the grand scheme of things) is that the guy needs to get a new TV for his lounge, BAD. Lol

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    There are several here in the Dallas area that are very nice, but my number one shop is Cigar Shop and More in Addison (Dallas) TX. The owner Kent is a hell of a nice guy and is very connected in the cigar business. He has a great relationship with the Fuente family and always gets the more rare and expensive smokes they put out, and he has a close friendship with Pete Johnson of Tatuaje so he gets all the rare stuff from him too. He has had everything in his shop from the Fuente Opus X Lost City to the Drac and Boris from Tatuaje, and also a special cigar from Pete that is only sold in his shop. They have a huge walk in humidor with the best selection anyone around. They have hosted big event with makers like Don Pepin, Pete Johnson, Rocky Patel, Nick Perdomo, Jonathan Drew, Ashton, and Oliva. The only thing I would change if I could would be more parking and maybe a bit bigger lounge for the events, but other than that I consider myself lucky to have such an amazing B&M within 5 miles of my home.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    The Tinder Box
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    Way over priced, Noone has any idea about cigars in the place, 3 different times I have gotten a cigar out of their smoke room Humidor, 3 times the sticks were dried out and burst down the middle looking like Bugs Bunny had just stuck a carrot in Elmer Fuds Shot gun right before he took his shot ! The last time this happened we told the guy to turn up his Humidor so we watched him turn it down then turn it right back to where it was and then he says there its at about 75.....My guess is that there is a fan in this room that ventilates smoke so it is also sucking the humidity out of the humidor. He has it at 70 but that definitely isn't working so it needs to be about 75 to make up for the suction of the fan. If you are going to smoke and watch some TV nice place. Don't go to get any answers however.

The Cigar Inn
    St. Louis, MO
    I love this place ! Hugh selection. Lots of room to sit and smoke. The staff is very knowledgeable and will sit down and have a smoke with you. The owners are in there almost everyday and will chat away with you and if you didn't know any better ( a lot of people don't ) you couldn't even tell that this was the guy running the whole thing.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ok, here I go:

1) Central Cigars in St. Petersburg, Florida
    2) Like it because it has plush chairs and plenty of flat-screen HD TV's; also serves alcohol. During "First friday bloc party", the cops block off a city block for a city-party, and Central Cigars has a cuban who comes in and you can watch him roll cigars; guy uses mostly long-filler, but isn't shy about using short-filler to make the cigar look fuller or plumper
    3) Hate it because the selection is terrible and overpriced. They have about 10 brand-name cigars, everything else is their own house boutique; they have a space that's only about 20-30 ft long to store the cigars, and 5 feet is brand-name stuff like Ashton or Fuente, and the other 15-25 feet is all house-rolled stuff. Now, this wouldn't be so unforgivable, except their house cigars start at $8 a stick and only go up from there; they're nice, but not $10 nice
    4) How to make it better? Lower prices on house cigars and get more selection - choosing between Arturo Fuente, ACID and a house cigar isn't much of a choice; give breaks if I ask about buying a box too. Though I doubt they'll do this - they're pretty much the only cigar place in all of St. Pete, so they have no competition, and no incentive to lower any of their prices

• pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    I go to Havana Alley in Galveston, TX. They're still recovering from hurricane Ike, but their selection is still pretty decent and not that pricey. Theyve got probably the most comfortable leather couches Ive ever sat in, always playin good music or watching whatever game is on, and the owners are always around chatting with the customers. They also have cuban roller Manny Lopez drop in from League city every now and then with some of his house blend El Cubanos. If you're ever in town, definitely stop by and pick a couple up.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    The Cank:
    The Tinder Box
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    Way over priced, Noone has any idea about cigars in the place, 3 different times I have gotten a cigar out of their smoke room Humidor, 3 times the sticks were dried out and burst down the middle looking like Bugs Bunny had just stuck a carrot in Elmer Fuds Shot gun right before he took his shot ! The last time this happened we told the guy to turn up his Humidor so we watched him turn it down then turn it right back to where it was and then he says there its at about 75.....My guess is that there is a fan in this room that ventilates smoke so it is also sucking the humidity out of the humidor. He has it at 70 but that definitely isn't working so it needs to be about 75 to make up for the suction of the fan. If you are going to smoke and watch some TV nice place. Don't go to get any answers however.

The Cigar Inn
    St. Louis, MO
    I love this place ! Hugh selection. Lots of room to sit and smoke. The staff is very knowledgeable and will sit down and have a smoke with you. The owners are in there almost everyday and will chat away with you and if you didn't know any better ( a lot of people don't ) you couldn't even tell that this was the guy running the whole thing.
    Cank, where is Cigar Inn? I grew up in STL and bought my first cigar at T and C Tobacco a long long time ago. I think the old owner sold it since then.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Wish I had something better to say on this thread. The B&Ms in Memphis kinda suck. There used to be a good one, run by a very nice and helpful guy, but he got involved in a messy divorce and shut it down to keep his wife from getting it. There's a place called Tobacco Corner Ltd., which has been around for a very long time so it has some atmosphere, but the owner and his crowd of regulars are not exactly welcoming; prices are too high, too. There's a place downtown near Beale Street -- I forget the name -- but like everything near Beale Street, it's basically a tourist trap. Other than that, there's a couple of Tinder Box franchises. They have a decent selection for how small their humi is, and some friendly people, but nobody really knowledgeable.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I go to my B&M almost every day on my lunch hour. It is not the biggest in the area, but it feels like home. It is called Wise Ash, and is located just north of I-285 in Smyrna, GA. The owner served our country in the Navy, and later as a police Officer. He has been open just over a year, and the selection continues to grow every week. He has a very good mixture of the big brands, as well as boutique brands. He has a very comfortable lounge with a 50" Plasma screen. The seasonal sports are always on, and a great crew of regulars. He has events almost every month, with the next one being Perdomo. The last one was Miami/EO. I encourage anybody in the Atlanta area to check it out. It is frequented by military personnel from nearby Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    My B&M is Te-Amo in Ithaca, NY. He has a really nice walkin humidor with a good selection of cigars. The owner knows his stuff and has given me some great suggestions when I started smoking man made cigars.

His prices are good and very often when you are browsing in the humidor, he'll stick a smoke in your pocket and tell you it's on him.

The only thing that would make it better is the addition of a smoking lounge. He had a deal going with Montecristo to defray part of the cost of adding one to his shop, but I guess that did not go through. You can smoke in his shop and he has coffee available, but a lounge would be great!
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    My favorite place in Omaha has got to be hands down Nickleby's. The place is ran by Tim, and his dad. They are in there everyday but Sundays (closed). They have a great selection with everything I could ask for, constant supply of Opus. They have cigar events pretty dam regularly especially for this area. The staff is very knowledgable, respectful of all smokers new and veteran, and willing to shoot the ***. They have a small smoking section compared to some. Though it is in two areas one for watching tv with very nice chairs, and a poker table. Then in another area they have leather chairs and couch for talking politics, daily events and that witch at home who won't blow you anymore. Lol. I love the place and your ever up around omaha check them out. Off of 120th and Center
  • MESKCMESKC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    Here in Kansas City it is Outlaw Cigar Co. They have two locations in the metro area. The staff has alwys been very friendly and willing to help. Great selection a lounge and poker room. They have events every month at both locations. So if you are in the are this is the place to go.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    MESKC:
    Here in Kansas City it is Outlaw Cigar Co. They have two locations in the metro area. The staff has alwys been very friendly and willing to help. Great selection a lounge and poker room. They have events every month at both locations. So if you are in the are this is the place to go.
    Amigo - if you're in Kansas City and frequenting Outlaw, you need to do two things: 1) Hook up with JSnake. Jake is an awesome dude in your area, and a great BOTL. 2) Hit up Outlaw for some 262 Paradigms. It's a new brand, and Outlaw is giving them a test run - give em support! Welcome to the forum, btw, if I haven't already said that.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Alex Svenson:
    The Cank:
    The Tinder Box
    Fairview Heights, IL.

The Cigar Inn
    St. Louis, MO
    Cank, where is Cigar Inn? I grew up in STL and bought my first cigar at T and C Tobacco a long long time ago. I think the old owner sold it since then.
    I think The Cigar Inn is actually in Bellevegas (Belleville) IL, just across the river. Never been myself, but that is my understanding. I live in StL and have never heard of The Cigar Inn over here.
  • andrewhandrewh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    Local place in Memphis. Havana Mix He has really great selection and prices, super comfortable furniture too. When he opened he promised us he was going to get a liquor license and have a scotch bar. Still no sign of it but have my fingers crossed!
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    About a month ago I was turned on the the Cigar Loft in San Mateo (20 minutes outside of San Francisco) by Jdorais on these forums. The place is tremendous! The prices aren't good for California, and the lounge is fantastic. They have comfortable chairs, a plasma tv, a fridge stocked with water & soda (and I think beer), and good coffee. I've gone there a few times this month and the staff is knowledgeable, the clients are nice, and the cigar selection is very good. Half of the store is a typical cigar shop (Humidors along the walls), and the back of the store is the lounge area. Overall, it's the best place I've been to.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I have two that I frequent......

1. "Utopia Cigars" in Chicago on the NW side and "Cigar King" in Skokie, IL a Northern Suburb of Chicago

2. I like them both for different reasons..... Utopia is a small neighborhood joint with a modest selection and decent prices. The shop is cozy and the staff is friendly. It's "old school". Lots of 50-somethings hanging out busting balls. At 32, I'm one of the "young bucks". Plus, their home blend is one of my favorite smokes. They really have a nice selection of home blends.

Cigar King is definitely more upscale but not too pretentious. Their prices are a little better because they deal in more volume. The staff is friendly but not too attentive. But I think that has to do with their volume of customers. It's a big shop that has 20-30 customers at any given time. And there's usually only 2 people manning the shop, so you have to wait if you need specific help. Their selection is top-notch. I have yet to try their house blend, but I hear it's decent. They have regular events and parties, which Utopia doesn't do very often.

I really can't say which one I like better because the pros and cons of each balance them out.

3. Utopia definitely needs a makeover. But that's no big secret. They could use updated TVs and furniture. Plus, their inventory is kind of sporadic.

My only beef with Cigar King is that they don't have free parking. It's metered street parking only. Granted, it's cheap meters, but getting change is a hassle and the cops around their are like vultures with the expired meters. So, not really a beef with Cigar King, but more with Skokie.