Home General Discussion

Cigar Prices

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166

Hey guys, pretty new guy here still so I have questions.  Thanks for all the info provided already.

I went to a local shop today and was checking out some cigars, but I could not remember what prices they were at cigar.com.  About how much of a savings is it to buy online than a local cigar shop?  About 30% or 50%?  I know some of the deals here are unbelievable and no one can come close, but I'm only talking about 1 or 2 cigars at a time.

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    To give you a little idea at my local B&M a Gurkha Cuban Legacy is 10 dollars for a Double Corona. Here on the site it is $4.16. The savings on the site 90 percent of the time are going to be unbeatable by a long shot ! Once you get into the daily deals and weekend Blitz the deals are so crazy you can't pass them up. This is how I filled my 300 count humidor up in less than a month. I would venture to say I have well over 2000 dollars in cigars and I have paid no where close to that amount.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166

I see.  The thing is, I cant keep cigars at home or even smoke too many, the wife hates it.  I just gave up ciggaretts and she does not want me to start cigars.  She really hates the smell, even though I dont smoke around her. 

Well, I guess I will just help the locals since I will buy one stick at a time when ever I get a chance to smoke one when she is not around.  Lol.

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    ^^^What he said! Unless you go to the store that some of these online companies have, you're not gonna see online prices in stores. Speaking of which, when is the Cigar.com superstore opening up in PA???
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    clearlysuspect:
    Speaking of which, when is the Cigar.com superstore opening up in PA???
    I'm hoping never; got my fingers crossed that Ccom will see the light and move on down to sunny Florida
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    zeebra:

I see.  The thing is, I cant keep cigars at home or even smoke too many, the wife hates it.  I just gave up cigarettes and she does not want me to start cigars.  She really hates the smell, even though I dont smoke around her. 

Well, I guess I will just help the locals since I will buy one stick at a time when ever I get a chance to smoke one when she is not around.  Lol.

Clearly, there is a fantastic solution to your problem:
    1. Get rid of wife
    2. Buy nice humidor
    3. Stock with cigars from ccom
    4. ????
    5. Profit!
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    TatuajeVI:
    zeebra:

I see.  The thing is, I cant keep cigars at home or even smoke too many, the wife hates it.  I just gave up cigarettes and she does not want me to start cigars.  She really hates the smell, even though I dont smoke around her. 

Clearly, there is a fantastic solution to your problem:
    1. Get rid of wife
    2. Buy nice humidor
    3. Stock with cigars from ccom
    4. ????
    5. Profit!
    Hahaha as long as 'Profit!' is in there its legitimate
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Prices may vary, but shops near me seem to be about a dollar higher on the common stuff, and a couple dollars higer on the higher end stuff so maybe 10-20% But they have bills to pay so I don't mind supporting a man with his own business that he loves. There is sales tax too, and sometimes "luxury" tax, Still I enjoy visiting the local shops from time to time.

kaspera79:
    Prices may vary, but shops near me seem to be about a dollar higher on the common stuff, and a couple dollars higer on the higher end stuff so maybe 10-20% But they have bills to pay so I don't mind supporting a man with his own business that he loves. There is sales tax too, and sometimes "luxury" tax, Still I enjoy visiting the local shops from time to time.

Yea, thats what I'm going to do.  I dont smoke much, so I will try to enjoy the few I try and just go to the local and get it from him and support his business.  I know I will save money online, but one thing is, I want to enjoy the cigar, and since I am new, I will ask the people working there to help me out a little bit.  Maybe I'm in the mood for a certain smoke that day and if I order online, I might not want that one that certain day and will be limited.  Like I said, since I will not be storing any cigars, this is the rout I will go.

Thanks for the info fellas.

zeebra:

kaspera79:

Yea, thats what I'm going to do.  I dont smoke much, so I will try to enjoy the few I try and just go to the local and get it from him and support his business.  I know I will save money online, but one thing is, I want to enjoy the cigar, and since I am new, I will ask the people working there to help me out a little bit.  Maybe I'm in the mood for a certain smoke that day and if I order online, I might not want that one that certain day and will be limited.  Like I said, since I will not be storing any cigars, this is the rout I will go.

Thanks for the info fellas.

And... Sometimes I feel like hanging out there. Talking to other people or watching a game on the big screen. I don't drink that much so it is like a trip to the bar without the hangover.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    first off cigars and cigarettes are way different. The only addicting part about cigars is they are so friggin nice and yummy !
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    kaspera79:
    I read in another post you live near RKFD. Any suggestions on good shops in the area? I have been to a couple and don't seem to get the neighborhood shop feel I'm looking for.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    Hahahaha, I love the guys that have wives/girlfriends that hate that they smoke cigars. I picture you guys with little ziploc's stashed in the toilet tank and on top of the ductwork like drug smugglers. When the wives catches on you're standing over the toilet dumping 5 Vegas' in and flushing like crazy. "comeon comeon comeon COMEON!!!!!, uhhhhh honey I'll be right out, don't come in!!"

Nothing like that....yet.  I recently quit smoking ciggs, after 12 years, and turning 30 this year, so she does not want me to pick up smoking cigars.  I will have my cigars away from her, and dont want to start having a 300 ct humi.  She says smoking cigars will still give me lung cancer or some type of cancer, thats her main reason.  I will respect that and enjoy it here and there.

Off subject, I went to Specs here, its a liquor store and they carry citgars.  I went into their humi yesterday and thought it was really cold in there, it did not feel 70 in there, more like in the 60's.  You guys buy cigars from places like that or should I just stick to the local cigar guys who actually care for their cigars.  Wait, I just answered my own question.

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Well, if you're aging long term, then the temperature you store the cigars at has more leeway; although 65F is a typically temp, some collectors who age take the temp into the 50's - something about the oils I think, not really sure; but that's all hard-core aficionado stuff, the kinda things that you think about if you're purposely aging for 10+ years. Though in your case, the liquor store was probably just being cheap and saving on heating costs
    ljl:
    kaspera79:
    I read in another post you live near RKFD. Any suggestions on good shops in the area? I have been to a couple and don't seem to get the neighborhood shop feel I'm looking for.
    While Rockford is not exactly my neighborhood, I have found friendly shops in Hanover Park, Naperville, Oak Park, Elgin, and Schaumburg. To name a few.
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    For me and I can't speak for others, but I buy daily deals and bulk orders from C.com and singles at the cigar shop. Also during the winter I bring my own which the owner doesn't mind to much as long as its one of the kinds he carries. I will also play in a poker game while I smoke because if you lose you just have to buy a 5 buck smoke for the two winners to split. That way I can enjoy one of mine, make friends and support his business
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    ironhorse:
    Hahahaha, I love the guys that have wives/girlfriends that hate that they smoke cigars. I picture you guys with little ziploc's stashed in the toilet tank and on top of the ductwork like drug smugglers. When the wives catches on you're standing over the toilet dumping 5 Vegas' in and flushing like crazy. "comeon comeon comeon COMEON!!!!!, uhhhhh honey I'll be right out, don't come in!!"
    LMAO!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Getting rid of the wife does not equal profit...usually