Home General Discussion

What (Expensive) Cigars should I try.

2»

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    It's hard to suggest something without knowing your preferences. I could say something like you gotta try the Padron '64 Maduro in the Imperial size, but you might hate maduros. I'd give ccom a call and talk to them. Tell them what kind of cigars you normally like, and see what they suggest. Sounds like a fun Birthday present. Happy Birthday.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    The Camacho PE is my favorite stick for special occasions, so far, but I haven't tried a few of the ones mentioned here. On my list to get are the Davidov Millennium, GoF, and a few more. The Padron 1964 Maduro is to die for if you like a strong maduro, and you can pick them up for $15 or less. Padron also makes the 45th Year Family Reserve maduro, which I have not tried yet, but did just win CA's cigar of the year. So that could be good - about $25 a stick. The Fuente Anejo is another fantastic maduro, again for $15 or less. I smoked one robusto so far and can't wait to smoke a #77 Shark sometime this spring.

What I've been concentrating on in my cigar collection lately is picking up an expensive cigar here and there rather than purchasing a few every-day smokes, and I've been asking for high end sticks for Christmas and birthdays. I'm getting to the point where I've got a decent selection of the "Super-premiums" to smoke for very special occasions, and to age a few for a long, long time.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    FFOX, GOF, Padron 45s, Don Carlos Ed.Aniversarios all really good and already covered on this thread. Like some others said depends on your tastes as well. Just thinking of some others that don't intantly come to mind and have already been covered here. There are some others that maybe aren't as well know or popular but are still really special. Tat RC 184/233s or LTDEDs, LFD Salomones, Fuente rarities, and vintage ISOMs (though some will argue with me on that last one, sorry)
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Opus X
    God Of Fire
    AF Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario
    La Aurora 100 anos/preferidos
    Anything Cohiba
    Padron 1964

these are my fave high end smokes....
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    TatuajeVI:
    What I've been concentrating on in my cigar collection lately is picking up an expensive cigar here and there rather than purchasing a few every-day smokes, and I've been asking for high end sticks for Christmas and birthdays. I'm getting to the point where I've got a decent selection of the "Super-premiums" to smoke for very special occasions, and to age a few for a long, long time.
    This is where I'm at as well.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    I stand corrected, HMR is not the most expensive cigar. The original release of Gurkha Black Dragon. Boxes of 100 sold for 110,000 Box. The boxes themselves were made of some sort of antique camel bone. Interesting fact, of the four boxes sold, 2 were sold to one client. That said, HMR is the most expensive regular production cigar on the market.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    KCW:
    TatuajeVI:
    i was at that point for a while. then i kept smoking the ones that most would consider "everyday" and slightly better. now im left with a humidor of only the best. the most common cigar in my humidor is the OpusX, then the Anejo, then Camacho PE, Camacho triple maduro, and Gurkha Centurian.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Alex Svenson:
    I stand corrected, HMR is not the most expensive cigar. The original release of Gurkha Black Dragon. Boxes of 100 sold for 110,000 Box. The boxes themselves were made of some sort of antique camel bone. Interesting fact, of the four boxes sold, 2 were sold to one client. That said, HMR is the most expensive regular production cigar on the market.
    Holy crap!!! It seems like you were mostly paying for the box though. Still, that's crazy. Huh, people look at me crazy when I spend $200 on cigars. I wonder how they would respond to that guy spending $220,000?
    kuzi16:
    KCW:
    TatuajeVI:
    i was at that point for a while. then i kept smoking the ones that most would consider "everyday" and slightly better. now im left with a humidor of only the best. the most common cigar in my humidor is the OpusX, then the Anejo, then Camacho PE, Camacho triple maduro, and Gurkha Centurian.
    I was afraid of that.... Ahhh. Life is good.
    Alex Svenson:
    In this order:

Arturo Fuente Edicion de Anniversario. - Amazing cigar. Same blend as Opus but with a lower priming wrapper which I think adds a more refined taste, plus you dont get the burn issues that plague the opusx. Very rare, very pricey but an excellent treat for the right occasion. We stock them online in all sizes but call in and we might be able to make you a better price.

Davidoff Millenium - Guys who like dark sumatra ecuador swear by this blend as do I. If you are buying something now to smoke right away, I might pass on this one, but if you are up for aging it for a year or two, this cigar is the ultimate.

Camacho Pre-Embargo - In fairness only a portion of the filler is the pre embargo cuban stuff, but you should buy the blend for a multitude of other reasons. Camacho is world renowned for their corojo wrapper. The wrapper on the Pre Embargo is made with their very first corojo crop grown back in 1998 which was also one of their best crop years and gave them their notoriety going into the late 90's. The wrapper blends perfectly with 5 year old corojo and criollo fillers grown in Jamastran that balance with the pre embargo filler. Very well rounded smoke and the 12 year old wrapper really makes the cigar IMHO.

Gurkha HMR - Hey if you want to tell your friends you smoked the worlds most expensive cigar, this is it.
    PM sent
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    kuzi16:
    KCW:
    TatuajeVI:
    How do you decide what to smoke everyday then? I have trouble deciding from day to day what to smoke. I still have so many that I am wanting to try but am working towards making my humidor full of the good stuff as well.

I started looking for special occations to smoke some of the super expensive premiums but then remember something my father told me "This is not a dress rehersal!" So everyday is a special occation and I have been smoking more of the good stuff that I have just to try them out or just because. How else are you going to know if you like it or not? It would suck to save it for a very special occation then not like the stick.

That being said over the past 2 months I have tried and liked Padron 64 Maduro better than Habano but it's still pretty good, Opus X, Camacho PE, Camacho triple maduro, Tat Red tubo, Cohiba's, and more that I"m sure I forgot. IMO these are all worth trying out so go for broke and spend that $$$. I've gotta start working on what to take to our Herf in Ohio but don't think it will be too hard.
    Your father was right.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Sandman1am:
    How do you decide what to smoke everyday then? I have trouble deciding from day to day what to smoke. I still have so many that I am wanting to try but am working towards making my humidor full of the good stuff as well.
    i open the humidor and see what speaks to me. that simple. of course, i do check out online what the cigars are made of (wrapper, binder, filler) to see if thats on par to what i want. if its a cigar i have had in the past sometimes i just crave that. i dont know what i will be smoking until it is in my hands.
    Sandman1am:
    I started looking for special occations to smoke some of the super expensive premiums but then remember something my father told me "This is not a dress rehersal!" So everyday is a special occation and I have been smoking more of the good stuff that I have just to try them out or just because. How else are you going to know if you like it or not? It would suck to save it for a very special occation then not like the stick.
    i agree with that. smoke what you like. if you are in the situation where i am when you dont get to smoke but once maybe twice a week on average then only smoke what you like or are looking to try. i never smoke cigars that i am settling for based on price. i have no problem dropping $15+ on one cigar because i know that for the next few hours i will be relaxed and in good company. thats worth it to me.

Sandman1am:
    That being said over the past 2 months I have tried and liked Padron 64 Maduro better than Habano but it's still pretty good, Opus X, Camacho PE, Camacho triple maduro, Tat Red tubo, Cohiba's, and more that I"m sure I forgot. IMO these are all worth trying out so go for broke and spend that $$$. I've gotta start working on what to take to our Herf in Ohio but don't think it will be too hard.
    dont bring too much. the selection there is crazy good. im gunna bring one. but ill probably buy two that day. they are a Davidoff dealer so Davidoff, AVO, Zino, and the Griffins are all there. they also have tats, camacho LFD, fuente (including OpusX), CAO, Oliva, and many more. make sure to talk to the guy who works the shop. his name is Matt and he will not lead you astray. i trust him implicitly when it comes to cigars. bring money to buy a few sticks. you will regret it if you dont.
    kuzi16:
    Sandman1am:
    i open the humidor and see what speaks to me. that simple. of course, i do check out online what the cigars are made of (wrapper, binder, filler) to see if thats on par to what i want. if its a cigar i have had in the past sometimes i just crave that. i dont know what i will be smoking until it is in my hands.
    Sandman1am:
    i agree with that. smoke what you like. if you are in the situation where i am when you dont get to smoke but once maybe twice a week on average then only smoke what you like or are looking to try. i never smoke cigars that i am settling for based on price. i have no problem dropping $15+ on one cigar because i know that for the next few hours i will be relaxed and in good company. thats worth it to me.

Sandman1am:
    dont bring too much. the selection there is crazy good. im gunna bring one. but ill probably buy two that day. they are a Davidoff dealer so Davidoff, AVO, Zino, and the Griffins are all there. they also have tats, camacho LFD, fuente (including OpusX), CAO, Oliva, and many more. make sure to talk to the guy who works the shop. his name is Matt and he will not lead you astray. i trust him implicitly when it comes to cigars. bring money to buy a few sticks. you will regret it if you dont.
    Thanks for the input Kuzi. I think that it is worth it to me as well to spend the money on a great cigar. As far as bringing money for cigars I was already planning on how much I would be able to spend. This is a weekend trip for me so I will be bringing a few more sticks to smoke with Tat before we leave for Ohio. But he too has a great local shop I wanted to hit up again. Dang the waters just got muddy again.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    The camacho PE is a good smoke too. I was very surprised.
    phobicsquirrel:
    The camacho PE is a good smoke too. I was very surprised.
    Just revisited 1 last week and I loved it.
    OK Boys. Here is the list so far (and oh yeah. I went way over budget on this). I may add or subtract a stick or two or, I may just leave this alone. (Apparently I've been wanting to try a lot of Arturo Fuente products). Opus X Perfexcion X Opus X XXX GOF 2006 Dble Robusto by Carlito Anejo #50 A.F. Edicion de Aniversario Robusto Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 Davidoff Millenium Robusto.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    That's a damn fine list, KCW. Enjoy!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    KCW:
    OK Boys. Here is the list so far (and oh yeah. I went way over budget on this). I may add or subtract a stick or two or, I may just leave this alone. (Apparently I've been wanting to try a lot of Arturo Fuente products). Opus X Perfexcion X Opus X XXX GOF 2006 Dble Robusto by Carlito Anejo #50 A.F. Edicion de Aniversario Robusto Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 Davidoff Millenium Robusto.
    You gotta add the GoF Don Carlos Robusto. Well, you don't HAVE to add it but I highly recommend it for whatever that's worth! Oh, and definately call. My rep is Tim and he is a great guy but all of the guys AND girls there are great too.
    rwheelwright:
    KCW:
    You gotta add the GoF Don Carlos Robusto. Well, you don't HAVE to add it but I highly recommend it for whatever that's worth! Oh, and definately call. My rep is Tim and he is a great guy but all of the guys AND girls there are great too.
    Thanks for the recommendation. (It is on the original list with a few others like the La Aurora Preferido and the Padron 80th Anniversary and a few more but, I can't get too crazy (or maybe I can).
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Hey KCW hope youve gotten a good idea of what to buy! hope you post some of your pics or at least tell us what you got! enjoy it!
    illinoisgolf99:
    Hey KCW hope youve gotten a good idea of what to buy! hope you post some of your pics or at least tell us what you got! enjoy it!
    Don't you worry. I will.
    OK Boys here it is: Opus X Perfexcion X, GOF Double Robusto by Carlito 2006, GOF Robusto by Don Carlos 2006, Davidoff Millenium Robusto, A.F. Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario Robusto, Ashton VSG Belicoso #1, Tim at C.Com really helped me out on this one. I also got the PA Broadleaf Maduro Sampler. Thanks to all of you for your input. I've got some special sticks for this Summer. I also aquired a Opus X XXX & Anejo #50 elsewhere.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Nice haul. Congrats!
    NIce man! Congrats! Let use know what you think about each of them. I'm particularly interested in hearing about the GoF Don Carlos. The last one I had was freakin awesome!!!!!
    rwheelwright:
    NIce man! Congrats! Let use know what you think about each of them. I'm particularly interested in hearing about the GoF Don Carlos. The last one I had was freakin awesome!!!!!
    Tee Hee.... :)
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    KCW:
    rwheelwright:
    Tee Hee.... :)
    The GoF By Carlito is one VERY tasty stick as well. Enjoy bro'.
  • KillahKillah Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Anyone try decades lately?
    Killah:
    Anyone try decades lately?
    I'm gonna have one today if I get out of work early.