Home General Discussion

Looking for somethin new

TeufelhundenTeufelhunden Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
I am a fairly new cigar smoker. I was started on the Gurkha Shaggy, Romeo y Julieta Vintage III and the Diamond Corwn Robusto IV and have stayed with the three brands since. I am wanting to venture out a little. Any suggestions?

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Heh. Check out the reviews section. Well... any of the sections here. There are so many suggestions, it's mind boggling. I'd also suggest calling your cigar.com rep and asking them for suggestions. Given your price range and what your tastes are, they'll point you in the right direction.

You can view my favorites by visiting my profile.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    . . . gads, there are just so many good and bad ones, it's insane. Order a Cigar.com catalog and start reading - figure out what strengths you like and go from there. If you go to Ccom's main website, you'll see at the bottom that they just held their awards, so they picked some real winners in multiple categories - order the differnt packages if they appeal to you; order the Best of 2009 sampler if you've got the money. Just remember to let them rest for a week or two in your humidor before making a decision whether you like them or not, since they need that time before they taste like they should

Personally I only like mild or medium smokes, and I really don't like full strength cigars, but there are a lot of people on here that love full strength cigars more than any other - it really just comes down to tastes
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Check out the ccom sampler deals. That way you can check out several smokes and expand your horizons.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    YankeeMan:
    Check out the ccom sampler deals. That way you can check out several smokes and expand your horizons.
    Seconded. Ccom has some great samplers. And like someone else said already, give Ccom a call, they are super helpful and knowledgeable.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    For someone looking to expand their cigar base, I'd suggest looking at Perdomo. They basically have a cigar for every taste and, in my opinion, have a wide variety of good cigars. I haven't had more than a couple Perdomos I didn't like.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Teufelhunden:
    I am a fairly new cigar smoker. I was started on the Gurkha Shaggy, Romeo y Julieta Vintage III and the Diamond Corwn Robusto IV and have stayed with the three brands since. I am wanting to venture out a little. Any suggestions?
    This isn't outside those 3 brands, but give R&J's Reserva Real a try, if you haven't already.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    You really need to try the R&J Viejo if you havent already.
    You like that one, Goldy? I smoked a couple, forever ago, and didn't care for them. I think I've still got one or two. Maybe I'll give them another try.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    urbino:
    You like that one, Goldy? I smoked a couple, forever ago, and didn't care for them. I think I've still got one or two. Maybe I'll give them another try.

Otherwise I'll trade ya for em. I think they are the best RJ cigars I have had.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Hey urbs, nice to see ya pok'in your head up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    phobicsquirrel:
    ditto that.

if you like fuller bodied cigars try anything by La Flor Dominicana
    Goldy:
    urbino:

Otherwise I'll trade ya for em. I think they are the best RJ cigars I have had.
    Fair enough. I'll see how many I've still got and go from there.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hey, feebs. Thanks. Nice hat.
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ditto that.
    Thanks, kuz. How have you been?
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ditto that.
    busy as always.

the more important question is: what have you been smoking as of late?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    urbino:
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ditto that.
    Urbi !!! You're back! Welcome home sir.
    kuzi16:
    busy as always.

the more important question is: what have you been smoking as of late?
    Nothing new, really. I've just been smoking down my stock, mostly. The only new favorite I can think of is the DPG Serie JJ.
    laker1963:
    Urbi !!! You're back! Welcome home sir.
    Hoser!! Thanks! (Stay away from the luge.)
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    urbino:
    The only new favorite I can think of is the DPG Serie JJ.
    May I ask which vitola you are enjoying of this phenomenal cigar?
    Embarrassingly, given what I just said, elsethread, the torpedo.
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    The only new favorite I can think of is the DPG Serie JJ.
    May I ask which vitola you are enjoying of this phenomenal cigar?
    Yummy. I grabbed a daily deal 5 pack of the JJ in november and I've been loving these! Pretty sure it's the toro... I think...
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Whoever said perdomo, I will second that. Perdomos are the best they have ever been right now and IMHO are completely underrated. Great cigar, great price, excellent value. One of the main reasons they stay out of the spotlight is because they dont go with the flow and advertise in cigar aficionado and a million other places, nor do the bend over to get good ratings. I like that though, keeps them kind of a best kept secret type of brand. My suggestions for you would be below:

For Diamond Crown try Perdomo Patriarch Connecticut
    For R & J try Perdomo Lot 23
    For Shaggy try the Perdomo Grand Cru Habano or Connecticut
    I keep meaning to revisit Perdomo's stuff. Need to pick up a sample one of these days.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    TatuajeVI:
    I keep meaning to revisit Perdomo's stuff. Need to pick up a sample one of these days.
    you gots three minutes left on the daily deal :) (actually, just shoot tim an email and he will probably give you the same deal tommorrow)
    TatuajeVI:
    You really should do that, Tat. I've never had a bad one.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    urbino:
    TatuajeVI:
    You really should do that, Tat. I've never had a bad one.
    Tat I agree but instead of just getting 1 of each be a good friend and get 2 so we can smoke them together! Hahaha
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    j0z3r:
    For someone looking to expand their cigar base, I'd suggest looking at Perdomo. They basically have a cigar for every taste and, in my opinion, have a wide variety of good cigars. I haven't had more than a couple Perdomos I didn't like.
    Ill second that one Jozr
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    hey let me just say that you have got a great group of guys here and also that you should definitely check out the ccom house blends sampler. the sampler has a great selection of smokes and it can defintely help you develop a taste for what you like