Home General Discussion

Daily Deal Post time

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
Is there a particular time of day when the daily deal gets posted to the website? I generally log on around 8 or 9 am local time each day. Sometimes the daily deal is there and sometimes it isn't. Then, when I log in again later that day, lo and behold, there it is.

What am I missing, here?

Marty

Comments

• Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Midnight in the East, 9pm on the West.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Thanks for the reply but, ya know what? At the time I wrote this post this morning the Daily deal wasn't shown anywhere on the page. So evidently 9 PM in the west can't be correct - because it's now there on the page but wasn't only minutes ago.

Something fishy in Denmark, eh?

Marty

• Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I checked at 9pm last night (in California) and it showed up.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    jlmarta:
    Thanks for the reply but, ya know what? At the time I wrote this post this morning the Daily deal wasn't shown anywhere on the page. So evidently 9 PM in the west can't be correct - because it's now there on the page but wasn't only minutes ago.

Marty

Try pressing F5 when you get to the Ccom homepage. You browser is probably caching the page and only looking for updates every 24 hours. There are settings in ie to change this.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    sometimes it doesnt show as the pop up image. If thats the case, click on the Cigars tag and click daily deal. I work at night and check it on a nightly basis around midnight. Sometimes I have to click the link.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    JZ:
    sometimes it doesnt show as the pop up image. If thats the case, click on the Cigars tag and click daily deal. I work at night and check it on a nightly basis around midnight. Sometimes I have to click the link.

Ding, ding ding...winner. It is always there but not always a pop-up. For instance, I surf on Safari on a Mac and my browser will only pop up the same daily deal once, so matter how many times I visit the site.

Since you are on the forum anyway, you can always go to the Daily Deal subforum and connect to the daily deal that way as well ;)
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    sometimes because i'm bored or drunk i'll watch the dd timer run down to zero, then i'll click refresh and see the new dd, drool a little bit, wish i didn't put myself on a buying freeze, then head off to bed. oh and it always goes to zero at 9 pm sharp.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:

Marty

Try pressing F5 when you get to the Ccom homepage. You browser is probably caching the page and only looking for updates every 24 hours. There are settings in ie to change this.

Well, to begin with, I've stated my position on all the technical crap a guy's gotta know in order to do things on this forum so I won't repeat it except to say it isn't something that's required on a lot of other forums. End of that comment.

Next, I'm not talking about a pop-up or anything of that nature. I'm saying that when I log in to the forum there are a list of categories down the left side of the page. There's General Discussion, Cigar 101, Ratings & Reviews, etc. When you get to the last item, Non-Cigar related, that's the end of the first section. The next section, entitled Daily Cigar Deal.Com, is where the link to the Daily Deal is (or isn't) located. Sometimes that section is there and sometimes it isn't. I'm simply trying to get a logical answer as to why that is; all without a bunch of technical BS that a programmer might know but I sure as h--l don't. Get my point?

And as far as settings in IE to change something, that doesn't tell me why the DD is sometimes there and sometimes not. I've even seen it come and go more than once in a given day. Without any changes to IE. Or to my computer in any way.

I'm not trying to be argumentive, here, but it seems to me that a good webmaster could sure make things a lot easier for us non-programmer types.

Marty
    <br
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    jlmarta:
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:

Marty

Well, to begin with, I've stated my position on all the technical crap a guy's gotta know in order to do things on this forum so I won't repeat it except to say it isn't something that's required on a lot of other forums. End of that comment.

Next, I'm not talking about a pop-up or anything of that nature. I'm saying that when I log in to the forum there are a list of categories down the left side of the page. There's General Discussion, Cigar 101, Ratings & Reviews, etc. When you get to the last item, Non-Cigar related, that's the end of the first section. The next section, entitled Daily Cigar Deal.Com, is where the link to the Daily Deal is (or isn't) located. Sometimes that section is there and sometimes it isn't. I'm simply trying to get a logical answer as to why that is; all without a bunch of technical BS that a programmer might know but I sure as h--l don't. Get my point?

And as far as settings in IE to change something, that doesn't tell me why the DD is sometimes there and sometimes not. I've even seen it come and go more than once in a given day. Without any changes to IE. Or to my computer in any way.

I'm not trying to be argumentive, here, but it seems to me that a good webmaster could sure make things a lot easier for us non-programmer types.

Marty
    The same thing happens to me, sometimes the forum for the DD doesn't show up. What I usually do that fixes the problem is I click on the Community tab near the top of the page and reload the forum page from there, that always works for me when the DD forum doesn't show up.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    j0z3r:
    jlmarta:
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:

Marty

Marty
    The same thing happens to me, sometimes the forum for the DD doesn't show up. What I usually do that fixes the problem is I click on the Community tab near the top of the page and reload the forum page from there, that always works for me when the DD forum doesn't show up.
    the cigar.com forum and the daily deal forum are actually two different sites. If you go to the communtiy tab and then forums you will see the links to both everytime. If you are follow the link to the cigar,com forum to read or post, and then navigate the bread crumb trail on the top left you will still only be in the cigar.com forum. Once on the cigar.com forum, you need to go back to the community tab and click forums to see both again. You can also view the daily deals on the cigars>brands tab. I hope this makes sense.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    jlmarta:
    madurofan:
    jlmarta:

Marty

Marty
    the cigar.com forum and the daily deal forum are actually two different sites. If you go to the communtiy tab and then forums you will see the links to both everytime. If you are follow the link to the cigar,com forum to read or post, and then navigate the bread crumb trail on the top left you will still only be in the cigar.com forum. Once on the cigar.com forum, you need to go back to the community tab and click forums to see both again. You can also view the daily deals on the cigars>brands tab. I hope this makes sense.
    Couldn't have said it better myself, mustluv FTW! This confused me at first too, but after a while I figured it out.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    You can also go to http://dailycigardeal.com/ This is the cigar.com site for it.