Home General Discussion

Sealing my humidor and another one....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
Hey fellas, I need a little help. I suspect my humidor has developed some seal issues as it's not the greatest quality humidor. It seems the repeated opening and closing of the lid over the course of the last year has loosened up some of the wood inside.

I've seen a few guys on here go over the corners inside their humidor, around glass window edges, and around the lid with weather sealer. I don't know much about weather sealer so can anyone offer any advice on any products and techniques that I should use? Should I be worried about the wood in my humidor absorbing fumes emitted by sealers? Do I need to use something different than gel/paste weather sealer around the lid? Seems like I've seen people use a tape like weather seal around doors and lids.

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys always come through for me.

Comments

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Oh, and I almost forgot. I got a 20 county humidor in the mail today that is going to be a birthday gift for a friend of mine who has really wanted to get into cigars. Seems like this humidor has some seal issues around the lid, especially near the hinges. Any advice on what to use in this case would be great. Thanks again.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Well, if you're doing it inside, I'd recommend clear aquarium sealant - the stuff is water-proof, non-toxic and odorless (has to be since the fish gotta swim in the stuff)
    xmacro:
    Well, if you're doing it inside, I'd recommend clear aquarium sealant - the stuff is water-proof, non-toxic and odorless (has to be since the fish gotta swim in the stuff)
    That makes sense. I'll pick up some of that stuff today. Should I use the same thing around the lid or should I use something different???
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ah, the lid is something I have no experience with, so I can't help you much there
    So I couldn't find any aquarium sealant so I ended up purchasing some Liquid Nails Clear All-Purpose Sealant from Walmart for around $3.00. I went over all the edges inside my humidor and if you look close, it's not very asthetically appealling, but not real noticable at a glance. As long as it holds the humidity, I could care less what it looks like. The sealant left some fumes behind so I left it open for 24 hours and periodically fanned the fumed air out with fresh air. It's now reseasoning.
    So, the humidor is sealed, it's reseasoned, and all the cigars are back in the humi. The last couple of days I've been using my Humi-gel jars for humidity and it's been holding well at 65%. Today I received my upgrade to 70% humidity beads. I put them in some white pantyhose, tied them off, and charged about 90% of them as the directions said. These things sat in my humidor for not even an hour and the humidity jumped all the up to 75%! Needless to say, the humidor is holding humidity just fine now and the Liquid Nails did the trick. Now I have the opposite problem of high humidity. LOL! I think this one will be a little easier to tackle.