Home General Discussion

Cigar Mechanic

KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
F.Y.I. I learned about beads here on this site. I've always felt there was a better way than the green foam regulator (especially after one incident w/mold). I got some beads and they just took up too much room in the humi. So, even though I've had no problems w/ the foam being used in conjunction w/the beads (I put some beads in 2 pill vials w/ some holes drilled into it that was suggested here to save space), I'm concerned when the summer months come I may have a mold situation again with the foam. (I just have too much $$$ in my sticks to let that happen again). The Heartfelt company has beads in a case that will fit where the foam regulator goes but they are very expensive (around $42.00). I recently found the Cigar Mechanic (on another site). Its the same thing. It's in a case and fits perfectly where my regulator goes. $16.00 for the large size. I charged and installed it last night. Hope it performs. My humi before (Cigar Mechanic) installation was at 68% (perfect for me). This morning I peaked and it was at 67% (still fine). I'm curious to see what it is at tonight after the heat comes on. This may be a really good thing if it works well. I just hope it doesn't turn into a situation where something wasn't really broke but I tried to fix it anyway.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Ummm why don't you pop apart the casing for the humidifier take out the foam and put the beads in there?
    It's simple takes up less space and will solve you troubles...
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    stephen_hannibal:
    Ummm why don't you pop apart the casing for the humidifier take out the foam and put the beads in there?
    Considered that. Huge mess. Don't want that crap all over my sticks. The Cigar Merchanic (and Heartfelt's) come with a mesh screen in them.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    stephen_hannibal:
    Great advice I did this with those puck looking things. It's only messy when you first take out the foam. Be sure to do it over the garbage. Only takes a min. to do then wash out the container. Perfect place for the beads and they fit right into where they were designed to go in your humi. I just need a few more beads which Tat has at his house.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    KCW:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Considered that. Huge mess. Don't want that crap all over my sticks. The Cigar Merchanic (and Heartfelt's) come with a mesh screen in them.
    If you're really concerned about the beads going everywhere, cut out a piece of panty hose and stick them in there. Tie on any loose ends and viola. No need to ever take them out again. Then stick them in the old humidifier casing.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Not intending to be rude, but for someone with "way too much $$$ wrapped up in sticks to let (mold) happen again" it seems weird to take a chance on something unproven vs. Heartfelt beads in order to save $32. Just my $.02
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have no foam in my humi and i made my own bxes for the beads. works well. doesnt take up much room. but even if it did the room is worth keeping the beads so the sticks i do have dont get ruined.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I just carve out the humidifier that came with my humi's, dump out the foam, fill it with beads and superglue it all back together; doesn't make much mess if you do it outside or in a box, and it improves everything about my humi in about 10 min
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    One2gofst:
    Not intending to be rude, but for someone with "way too much $$$ wrapped up in sticks to let (mold) happen again" it seems weird to take a chance on something unproven vs. Heartfelt beads in order to save $32. Just my $.02
    No offense taken however, one thing that IS proven is that the foam molded so, therefor I went w/beads which are NOT unproven. (Not sure why you think they're not) They are just in a case and this case happens to be less $$$$ than Heartfelt's case.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    KCW:
    One2gofst:
    No offense taken however, one thing that IS proven is that the foam molded so, therefor I went w/beads which are NOT unproven. (Not sure why you think they're not) They are just in a case and this case happens to be less $$$$ than Heartfelt's case.
    My bad. Hell I keep my beads in bags made out of nylons so put them in whatever you want; LOL