Home General Discussion

Cold weather experience

ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
Well, I decided to brave the cold, since I havent been to the cigar bar all week...Im usually the type that either enjoys my smokes with a belgian wheat style beer, cognac, or a sprite while sittin at the cigar bar/outside on the back patio in the warmer months...Tonight I deciided to brave the 34 degree Oklahoma night and grab a mug of hot chocolate. I grabbed the Perdomo Reserve Oscuro 6 x 50. I actually had the best experience to date in my young cigar career. I never understood people who paired their smokes with coffee/hot chocolate until now! The hot chocolate paired excellent with the toasted nut/espresso/cocoa nuances of the cigar. Ive never thought too much about the actual way a beverage can complement the stick, and vice versa. Although I usually grab a boulevard wheat with just about any stick, tonight I was pleasantly surprised, and opened up to the whole new world of pairing with hot chocolate! I almost forgot I was sitting out on the back patio in 34 degree weather for 1.5 hours!

Comments

• tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    We had about 16" of snow in Jersey yesterday. I wasn't able to enjoy a cigar last night, but I certainly plan on doing that tonight. Much like you, I usually have a micro brewed beer, wheat style is usually my choice, but never really appreciate the flavor of the cigar. I might have to try the hot cholcolate thing...thanks....glad it worked out for you...on a side note....Lets go Mets...can't wait for baseball to start
  • suretolosesuretolose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    I feel your pain, I am so ready for spring.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    I hit up the hot coco alot in the winter. I find the milkiness adds to a cigars flavor, and the sugar helps keep those strong stogies in check.
  • casmangcasmang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    tankbonnies:
    We had about 16" of snow in Jersey yesterday. I wasn't able to enjoy a cigar last night, but I certainly plan on doing that tonight. Much like you, I usually have a micro brewed beer, wheat style is usually my choice, but never really appreciate the flavor of the cigar. I might have to try the hot cholcolate thing...thanks....glad it worked out for you...on a side note....Lets go Mets...can't wait for baseball to start
    I'm in Maryland, and we have tons of snow too so I can't even go on my porch, let alone try to have a smoke...but yes, hot chocolate and a cigar is very nice when it's chilly out :)
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I am in MD also...tons of snow is an understatement. I have never seen this much snow, let alone having to move so much of it. I am starting to feel it in my poor body!! I am so looking forward to a little warmer weather and the ability to enjoy a nice relaxing cigar.
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    Well I'll tell ya...it was 21 degrees yesterday in Minneapolis, very little wind and a bright warm sun. I lit up a Perdomo Habano Maduro robusto (great stick) and smoked it on the south facing deck at work. Talked to my truck drivers and rail crews, did business on my "crackberry"..all in all very pleasant.
    Granted there have not been many days like that recently but THE DAYS ARE GETTING LONNNNGER.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I love wheat beers, but never with a cigar. I find it far too sweet and overpowering - and most importantly, not even close to the taste of a cigar. I'd much rather pair a stout or porter with a rich cigar, or an earthy red wine or whiskey. To each his own, I suppose.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    MarkH:
    Well I'll tell ya...it was 21 degrees yesterday in Minneapolis, very little wind and a bright warm sun. I lit up a Perdomo Habano Maduro robusto (great stick) and smoked it on the south facing deck at work. Talked to my truck drivers and rail crews, did business on my "crackberry"..all in all very pleasant.
    Granted there have not been many days like that recently but THE DAYS ARE GETTING LONNNNGER.

I have a photo of myself and a few of my friends smoking cigars in -37F temp that I will try and dig out. I think it really changes the way the cigar tastes when it is that cold and is not nearly as enjoyable.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    A stout beer pairs well for the same reason. The chocolate flavor of the malt and grain tastes awesome after a big puff on a maduro. Oliva G maddy with Spaten Optimator is my favorite.
  • BurgandykaiserBurgandykaiser Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    I'm gonna have to try the Cocoa. Sounds great. I usually hate smoking in the cold because I tend to smoke too fast. Which sucks because I'm from Houston and I'm a sissy so 50F is cold to me. Luckily it's 70+ the other ten months of the year.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    yeah its pretty cold here too. down in the 60's today, might have to try the cocoa with an owr...see how that goes
  • BurgandykaiserBurgandykaiser Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    letsgowithbob:
    yeah its pretty cold here too. down in the 60's today, might have to try the cocoa with an owr...see how that goes
    That's pretty nice. Weathers been rough (rain) here the past few days.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Goldy:
    MarkH:

I have a photo of myself and a few of my friends smoking cigars in -37F temp that I will try and dig out. I think it really changes the way the cigar tastes when it is that cold and is not nearly as enjoyable.
    -37 and your cigars didn't fall apart??
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    casmang:
    I'm in Maryland, and we have tons of snow too so I can't even go on my porch, let alone try to have a smoke...but yes, hot chocolate and a cigar is very nice when it's chilly out :)

Hawk55:
    I am in MD also...tons of snow is an understatement. I have never seen this much snow, let alone having to move so much of it. I am starting to feel it in my poor body!! I am so looking forward to a little warmer weather and the ability to enjoy a nice relaxing cigar.

Where are you guys located in Maryland???? We've been getting pounded down here in Southern Maryland.
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Yeah, Im going to try stout or porter next time. I guess Ive always loved wheat beer, so when I began smoking cigars a little over a year ago, I just paired anything with a wheat beer since thats the beverage I love. Never gave much thought to it. I guess im in for a great spring of experimentation! I grew up in Minnesota, so 34 degrees isnt all THAT cold to me!
  • casmangcasmang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    clearlysuspect:
    casmang:

Hawk55:

Where are you guys located in Maryland???? We've been getting pounded down here in Southern Maryland.
    I am in Crofton, with is just west of Annapolis...how far south are you?
  • taddowtaddow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    Enjoying a cigar in the cold is something that I've learned to enjoy (especially given the fact that the majority of the months during the year are chilly and snow covered). I have a pretty good set-up to make it a blast. It usually involves breaking out the fire pit, lighting up a cigar of choice and then having an accompanying beverage (coffee, hot chocolate, beer or wine).