Home General Discussion

Heartfelt beads turning black?

dan7876dan7876 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
After about 2 years of humidifictaion and recharging, I've noticed some of my heartfelt beads have developed a few black beads in the tubes. Since I noticed it 2 months ago there are now a few more. Normal? Thanks - Dan

Comments

• HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Especially after 2 years, my first (and only) guess would be mold. There was a discussion here not too long ago discussing the fact that beads can mold, and with 2 years of age affecting their functionality, I think it's quite possible that this is the problem.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Have you been using distilled water or tap water?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Look at each closely! Mold? Some of the water pillow I was using developed mold and I pitched them right away.
  • dan7876dan7876 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 47
    Thanks for the replies...I've been using distilled water, and have had no problems until I noticed the coloration. No signs of mold on any of the sticks or the inside of the humidor, just a few blackened beads. I've read some other forums on the topic and it seems yellowish coloration can happen sometimes (something about oils from the cigars being absorbed into the beads over time?). But black doesn't sound good to me. I've already ordered replacement tubes just to be safe. Don't need my collection going out the window.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I am still relatively new at this also..but if the beads are turning black I would error on the safe side and replace thme. Beforehand it may be a good idea to contact Heartfelt and ask their opinion about what is the cause. But two years seems like a long time, I have never seen this mentioned in the forum....Black would seem to suggest mold and hence my suggestion..get rid of them.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Agree with Hawk - call heartfelt and see what they think. Their customer service is supposedly pretty fantastic.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I've had my beads for less than a year and I've had a slight few turn black too...I haven't done anything about it as of yet and haven't noticed any problems either.
  • KamelyonKamelyon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 109
    Curious...what did you do about the black beads? I noticed that I've got one in my tube today as well. I figured I would just pluck it out with a pair o' tweezers.