Home General Discussion

BAD stick!

camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
I just had what I would call a "bad stick" from a name brand company. Does this happen to anyone else?

The stick in question was a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 with lots of rest in the humi. The first inch was good, but then it started to canoe and taste off. After a couple of relights, I could feel the heat on my fingers, which made no sense. I let the cigar go out, and scraped off the ash...only to find a hole going down the center of the cigar. I don't mean "tunelling", I mean a hole the size of a wooden match almost 3 inches deep!!

I used my Xikar cutter to cut the cigar down to where I thought the hole ended, and re-lit the rest of the cigar. It continued to burn hot down the middle so I gave up.

I'm guessing that the person rolling/bunching the cigar messed up. It's my first real bad Rocky Patel, so I guess I can forgive them for this one.

Anyone else get problems like this from normally good manufacturers?

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Yep. It happens, they're hand made and unfortunately even the most rugged quality control will sometimes let one through.

I'd email a complaint to RP or let the place you bought it from know. You'll notice that most people in this industry stand behind their products.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Sounds like you have angered the Cigar Gods. You may need to burn another cigar as a sacrifice to appease them.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    sightunseen:
    Sounds like you have angered the Cigar Gods. You may need to burn another cigar as a sacrifice to appease them.
    My thoughts exactly!

madurofan:
    I'd email a complaint to RP or let the place you bought it from know. You'll notice that most people in this industry stand behind their products.
    Could not find an email link on the RP site, but that stick did come from ccom. Not going to bug them for 1 stick, but I do agree that they will stand behind their product. Let's just hope it's only the 1 stick.

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Out of curiosity, what size/vitola was this particular stick?
    camgfs:
    madurofan:
    Could not find an email link on the RP site, but that stick did come from ccom. Not going to bug them for 1 stick, but I do agree that they will stand behind their product. Let's just hope it's only the 1 stick.

I guess they prefer an old fashioned letter.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I actually had a Camacho 1962 that tasted straight like moldy socks. I knew it had to be a fluke, it was so bad I knew without doubt that no one intended a cigar to taste like that. It was the first one I smoked out of a fiver though, and the other four had no issues. Sometimes you just get a bad stick.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Probably a fluke. It happens sometimes. If you can let them know they will make it right I am sure. RP's have a reputation for some of the best QC in the buisness.
    Russ55:
    It was the "Toro" size, 6½ X 50. I have smoked a couple of them with no issues until now.

alienmisprint:
    I actually had a Camacho 1962 that tasted straight like moldy socks. I knew it had to be a fluke, it was so bad I knew without doubt that no one intended a cigar to taste like that.
    I disagree. The Reyes family would ...
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    camgfs:
    Russ55:
    It was the "Toro" size, 6½ X 50. I have smoked a couple of them with no issues until now.

Ah, well I think that one tends to be the best of all the sizes for the 1990, so like everyone's saying it's probably a fluke. I normally come across just plugs or stems with RP when I get a bad stick. Sounds like you got a real doosey. Dusie? Dusy? However that's spelled...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have a box of Romeo y Julieta vintage maduros that have pissed me off to no end, I have had 3 of them so far and all same issue draw to tight really makes it unenjoyable big time grrrrrrrrrr
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    It happens. I had a My Father last night that came apart on me. I could probably smoke a thousand more without experiencing that again. I might even try that:)
  • mobyallanmobyallan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 69
    it certainly does happen. The other day I was in by B&M for an afternoon smoke and I lit up a Padron Classico and the draw was wicked tight. There was barely any smoke at all! I kept telling myself, "I know I lit it, I know I lit it". But the great thing about it was that the guy working there was like - "go grab another one - we can't have that". Ccom would do the same thing - even for one stick.

• cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    one of my early purchases from this site which wasn't that long ago I had a RP vintage just fall apart on me and I notified ccom just to let them know, I really wasn't looking for a replacement and they took care of me. this site is great on taking care of there customes. It was a nice first experiance and for that reason I will stay a loyal customer. I was in sales for 15 yrs and to a point still am. Very happy with the small but large gesture to replace a single cigar.
    I never got around to trying another cigar yesterday. That one bad stick left a sour taste the just wouldn't go away, but today is another day, and I think I will spend the afternoon offering sticks of sacrifice to the cigar gods in hopes of making amends for anything I may have done to offend them.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    madurofan:
    Yep. It happens, they're hand made and unfortunately even the most rugged quality control will sometimes let one through.

Ha, don't waste your time...me and JZ actually wondered if we wrote a letter AND send pics of a cigar we had that had a horrible burn, would he even respond? NOPE, sure didn't. It's not like we had just one stick with the issue...every cigar we had had burn issues...and Rocky or his reps didn't really give a *** to respond.
    Krieg:
    ...every cigar we had had burn issues...and Rocky or his reps didn't really give a *** to respond.
    If I follow up on a bad stick, it will be with ccom. I trust them and their customer support. If it happens again, I will let them know. I do appreciate the fact that a single stick can have a problem, and that's just part of the fun. When it comes to "every cigar we had had burn issues", I would follow that up with the vender , whoever that was. That vendor can in turn follow it up with the supplier, but I would expect some sort of compensation for a bad box of cigars, and I would return the ones I had not yet smoked, if there were any left