Home General Discussion

Brown Bag Special

gdillygdilly Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
Anyone ever ordered a Mystery Brown Bag Special from any of those "other" websites? Example: The Un-known Sampler. We can't tell you what cigars you'll get in our Brown Bag Sampler. Why, you ask? Because even we don't know until minutes before your order ships! What we can tell you is that you'll be getting 30 premium cigars of assorted sizes! $39. As someone who is new to cigars and still trying to figure out what I like, would this be a good deal or am I better off buying the samplers which tell exactly what you are getting?

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    For me personally, If i were trying to figure out my likes and dislikes, 30 is too many to get stuck with if they're junk. I would want to know what I am buying (Mild, Medium or Strong. Maduro, Connecticut, Large, Small, etc.). Buy a few at first and take it from there. My $.02.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Yea. I agree with KCW. $40 is a lot to drop on a bunch of possible garbage. I've seen some deals for as low as $20 for 20. That might be worth the risk.

The best thing to do is approach one of the vets on here and offer a trade. They'd probably be willing to send you out a nice sampler for something that they like.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Ccom has some nice samplers - each month they rate cigars in the mild, medium and full category; I'd try one or two of their mild samplers, and once you figure out which ones you like, come on here and ask the forum goers for similar cigars
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    They are going to send you a brown bag of dog crap that will include mostly their house brands. They run this special to get rid of their junk no one wants. If you want a good sampler call Ccom up and tell one of the guys what you like. I promise they will get you a good deal and point you in the right direction. Do not do this to yourself.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Cigar.com's Cigar of the Month package was probably one of the best things I did when I first started really getting into the hobby. Even as a newbie you have preconceptions about cigars that would prevent you from buying them. But when they show up on your door with a nice little letter about them, you're way more likely to try them.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    You'd be better off calling one of the fine CCOM reps, telling them what you want to spend, what a few of your likes are, and asking them to surprise you.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Try this...
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=sp-cigpro6

You have to have the URL otherwise you won't find it.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    stephen_hannibal:
    Try this...

Damn, good deal.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    You can definately get a great, varied sampler from Ccom for $40 that will knock the socks off the other guys'.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I agree, this is the way to get started. very good deal.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    It depends on how much you smoke. With that brown bag you are going to get probably 20 really cheap sticks that are great if you are smoking multiple sticks per day and need to save money. If you enjoy premo sticks once every couple days then you should stick with ccom. Ccom has some awesome samplers.
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Hey Stephen, is there any other secret URL codes for deals on Ccom that are hard to find? Im jumpin on that sampler deal, but would have never found it if you wouldnt have posted it....thanks man
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    ThinBluLine06:
    is there any other secret URL codes for deals on Ccom that are hard to find?
    Type "sampler" into the search box near the top right of this page (without the quotation marks). You will find about 185 samplers available from ccom. That should give you a pretty good start on your cigar collecting/smoking.

• LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    madurofan:
    Cigar.com's Cigar of the Month package was probably one of the best things I did when I first started really getting into the hobby. Even as a newbie you have preconceptions about cigars that would prevent you from buying them. But when they show up on your door with a nice little letter about them, you're way more likely to try them.
    Agreed
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Personally, I'd never go for a Brown Bag Special. There are so many samplers out there that it just doesn't make sense (to me) to make an absolutely blind purchase.
  • mobyallanmobyallan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 69
    I have to agree with many of the folks here and say a definite NO on a brown bag - especially of that size. The Cigar.com monthly is something that is more manageable, and as many people have said - offer information about the cigars that you are trying. I would never grab 3 or 4 different types at a time, depending on how much you smoke. You really need to feel like your enjoying them and not just going through a bunch.

• JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    gdilly:
    Anyone ever ordered a Mystery Brown Bag Special from any of those "other" websites? Example: The Un-known Sampler. We can't tell you what cigars you'll get in our Brown Bag Sampler. Why, you ask? Because even we don't know until minutes before your order ships! What we can tell you is that you'll be getting 30 premium cigars of assorted sizes! $39. As someone who is new to cigars and still trying to figure out what I like, would this be a good deal or am I better off buying the samplers which tell exactly what you are getting?
    I believe the company is "T" and if so I would expect dog sh%^ and the bag to burst into flames upon arrival at your doorstep!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    JZ:
    I believe the company is "T" and if so I would expect dog sh%^ and the bag to burst into flames upon arrival at your doorstep!
    I believe Billy Madison puts "T" and their brown bag specials on people's doorsteps and "set's it on fire!"

Stay away from the T. Call Jeff Jackson at ccom and tell him we sent you. You'll be impressed with the service, and he just might surprise you with some special prices.
  • gdillygdilly Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
    Wow. Thanks everyone!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    stephen_hannibal:
    Try this...

I just ordered this along with some other goodies, thanks stev-o for pointing this out
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    dennisking:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Try this...

I just ordered this along with some other goodies, thanks stev-o for pointing this out
    Tempting very tempting! Thank goodness it's already after 5 and Jeff Jackson is gone for the day. I can sleep on this but will probably be pulling the trigger for 2 of these as I am low on them.

Def. call Jeff Jackson or one of the other service reps. They are very knowledgeable and will hook you up. My 1st big order from here I spent way too much but Jeff really hooked me up. I felt like I was almost stealing because of the insane deal I got on all of those sticks. They will beat most of the posted samplers if you call in.
  • gdillygdilly Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
    Thanks everyone for your replies. So, I took everyone's advise and DID NOT order the brown bag. Instead, I called up Ccom and talked with Jim. Thanks Jim! I ordered some samplers and got some sticks thrown in. Got 23 sticks in total coming and I learned of some brands that I need to try that compare to the ones i've tried and enjoyed. Thanks again all!
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    We should get a commission. :)