Home General Discussion

plastic or no plastic?

cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
The best way to store sticks plastic or no plastic on? Info and why please.

Comments

• txjayhawktxjayhawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    cooch36:
    The best way to store sticks plastic or no plastic on? Info and why please.
    I take all the pastic off of mine...carefully. Some keep the plastic on to protect the wrapper, or becasue of fear of a bad stick coming in to constast contact with your high priced stick. Personally, I feel that the cigars mellow out quicker and more evenly when the plastic is off. I am lucky to where I have a cabinet that I can keep every stick in their own place. If you have infused sticks...keep the wrapper on.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I keep them on. My humidors are in a room my kids can't get into, but one time, my youngest got in, opened one, and was running around with a few sticks. From that day, it stays on. It makes me sleep a little sounder at night.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I keep the wrapper on because its a barrier that might stop the dreaded beetle should I ever get one. Also, I have found that wrapped sticks seem to keep their flavors better than naked sticks.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    For me it depends, if I'm aging a stick, I will take the cellophane off where it can age better. For cigars I tend to smoke sooner rather than later, i leave it on where I don't chip the wrappers.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I tend to leave them as I get them. If the cigar arrives with the cello on I leave it on, if not I just store it the way it came. I keep the cello on in the aging humidor only because I move them from top to bottom from time to time and I don't want to damage the outer wrappers. It's really personal preference.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    kuzi16:
    there is no plastic on cigars. only cellophane.

on that note.

it doenst really matter.

what ever you feel.
    cellophane breathes. cigars will keep with it on or off.

cellophane was actually designed to repel liquids (oils) rather than absorb them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    nightmaremike31:
    kuzi16:
    there is no plastic on cigars. only cellophane.

on that note.

it doenst really matter.

what ever you feel.
    cellophane breathes. cigars will keep with it on or off.

cellophane was actually designed to repel liquids (oils) rather than absorb them.
    what he said...
    ..err... uh... i said.
    whatever
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    It is up to personal preferrence. I have always taken the cellophane off each stick before placing them in the humidor. I have never (knock on wood) have any trouble with beetles (even with Cuban sticks in the humi). I'm reallly not sure if the cellophane would help control them.

I guess it comes down to what you feel comfortable doing. I enjoy 'rotating' the cigars in my humi, and I do it very carefully, when I have the time to spend without interruption. I like a cigar to feel like a cigar, and not 'plastic', and that's my choice.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    camgfs:
    I have always taken the cellophane off each stick before placing them in the humidor. I have never (knock on wood) have any trouble with beetles (even with Cuban sticks in the humi). I'm reallly not sure if the cellophane would help control them.
    nope. the beetles will chew right through it.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    As mentioned before, cellophane is wood-based so it will be moisture permeable. I've started keeping my sticks in cello to protect the wrapper from damage when I rummage through my humidor. I also keep my spare cello for when I am shipping cigars to other people.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    All mine are naked, it is like one big orgy in that box.
  • leemarshall337leemarshall337 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    I leave it on, mainly because I write the date I received the cigar on the cellophane.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    fla-gypsy:
    I love it!!!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    leemarshall337:
    I leave it on, mainly because I write the date I received the cigar on the cellophane.
    Same here.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    fla-gypsy:
    So if I have a Glasstop... does that mean I like to watch???
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I take em off...........it looks better to me.... I agree with the pros of leaving it on though.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    If they come with cellophane, I keep it on. If they come naked, I keep them that way. Either way, you shouldn't notice any difference.