Home General Discussion

Cigars Make You Feel Good

bushwoodbushwood Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
Gents (and Ladies),

I recently bought a box of Gurkha's Cuban Legacy from ccom and thought I'd sample one in the Man Room this afternoon. I built the Man Room as a place where my buddies and I could play cards, drink whiskey and smoke cigars without getting a ration from my lovely wife. It's a little 500 square foot apartment inside my shop building with a full kitchen and bath, so it doubles as a guest house when we have visitors. It's not like I have any money, but I was fortunate during the housing boom, and the Man Room is one of those things that I was able to acquire before the home building bust and my subsequent bankruptcy.

But I digress. Oh yeah, the Cuban Legacy. It's a very inexpensive smoke (did I mention I was bankrupt?) but at the same time, very enjoyable. I don't normally take time out during the day to enjoy a cigar, but it's raining and sleeting today in northern Arkansas and I felt like getting off the computer for a while and just chilling. Besides, I was depressed from the rejection this morning from what I thought would be a new online client. Anyhoo, I grabbed the stogie and dragged my sorry ass into the Man Room. Turned up the heat, picked up Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan and fired up my new low-grade Gurkha.

Surprise! Gobs and gobs of blustery smoke! A very easy draw, an even burn, and flavor galore. After forty five minutes I felt great! I've always known the therapeutic value of cigars, but it was particularly pronounced this afternoon. So much so that I do believe I'll have to try it again tomorrow, as we're expecting more sleet and rain. (Damn that Al Gore and his Global Warming!)

Folks, you could do much worse than Cuban Legacy. It's no Padron 1926, but at the price, it's a steal. Thanks, ccom!

Greg

Comments

• nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    Dude! Another Arkansas brother. Not too many around here man. Where are you at?
  • bushwoodbushwood Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    Mountain Home is where I reside, my friend. God's country. We're about 5 miles out of town on Highway 201 South.

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Nice to meet you Greg......wecome to the forum.
    Thanks FireTruckGuy.

Great bunch of guys here. Love to read these posts!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Hiya pal, killer review and a big welcome from a Salty BOTL!! WELCOME!!

You seem to understand very well the reason we're all here, no matter what the cost, and no matter how bad life is, a cigar is always a cigar and brother/sister of the leaf will be right here with ya. Bogus about the bankruptcy, the other guy I work with had to go through that, keep your chin up and have another cigar!!
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Welcome to the forum. I missread your post and hope that I was able to change/correct my response.

lol, I'm from Mountain Home too, born and raised. I'm in fayetteville now, at the UofA. I'm a geneticist here working on another degree.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Nice review and welcome to the forums! Good to have you with us.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Welcome aboard. I have a few Ghurkas I got on a ccom sampler and I've only smoked a couple and they been pretty good for the price.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome to the forum. Great story. I wish I had a "Man Cave"......... but I DO have plenty of Cuban Legacys. I just got them and have yet to dig in. Your story is makin my mouth water with anticipation. I'll have to fire one up tonight.
    lilwing88:
    Welcome to the forum. Great story. I wish I had a "Man Cave"......... but I DO have plenty of Cuban Legacys. I just got them and have yet to dig in. Your story is makin my mouth water with anticipation. I'll have to fire one up tonight.

Dude, I love your avatar!

If things don't get better I might be trading the Man Room for a Man Cave, LOL! Just kidding, things are starting to look up. I just got back from the Man Room after a nice long session with a honkin' Nica Libre, another budget stick, but very flavorful. It's been in the humi for about two months at 65-70%, but it still seemed a tad dry. It made up for itself by the copious amount of billowy white smoke it produced. It seemed to hit the sweet spot after only about an inch into it (it was Churchill size). My dog, Inky and I, (hey she was named by my daughter so don't give me any sh*t for the name...) thoroughly enjoyed the time away from the house. We spent the better part of an hour looking through old books. Mindless waste of time... something I plan to do more of.

Just ordered a box of Nub 460 Cammies and can't wait to get them. I've tried a few of their other cigars, but never the Cameroon. Those babies are deceiving. As good a cigar as you'll find anywhere and they have great staying power. They're easily a 45 minute jaunt down Tobacco Road. Yummy!

Enjoy, brothers! (You too, Sis)

Peace, out.

nsezell:
    lol, I'm from Mountain Home too, born and raised. I'm in fayetteville now, at the UofA. I'm a geneticist here working on another degree.

Good luck in your studies. We could use a few more good geneticists. I guess. Maybe. Just what the hell does a geneticist do, anyway? lol...

Be sure to leave some time between classes and homework for the really  important stuff. Like cigars.
    Right now I'm working on developing a breed of cattle that can tolerate common fescue. It's a pretty cool process that, if it pays off...would really pay off...literally. And don't worry, I just roofed my deck so I can have a permanent place to smoke, rain or shine. I make plenty of time for the important things.
  • PederPeder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    nsezell:
    Right now I'm working on developing a breed of cattle that can tolerate common fescue. It's a pretty cool process that, if it pays off...would really pay off...literally. And don't worry, I just roofed my deck so I can have a permanent place to smoke, rain or shine. I make plenty of time for the important things.
    I wish we had a roofed deck around here for smoking. Lately it's been rainy and snowing. Twice now I've had to smoke cigars under the cover of an IDF bunker to get out of the rain. It's not so bad I guess...I'm still able to smoke cigars. I didn't know cattle couldn't tolerate fescue. That's interesting.
    Cattle can tolerate it mostly, but fescue has a fungus that grows in the stem that produces a toxin that cuts production by up to 85%. That's in birth rates and all growth traits too. The problem is that if you get rid of the fungus, the grasses die for some reason. They work well together, so infected fescue is pretty much all that grows. If the cattle could tolerate the toxin, then fescue would be the best thing for them to graze, cause it's an awesome forage. (sorry for nerding out there...)
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    nsezell:
    Cattle can tolerate it mostly, but fescue has a fungus that grows in the stem that produces a toxin that cuts production by up to 85%. That's in birth rates and all growth traits too. The problem is that if you get rid of the fungus, the grasses die for some reason. They work well together, so infected fescue is pretty much all that grows. If the cattle could tolerate the toxin, then fescue would be the best thing for them to graze, cause it's an awesome forage. (sorry for nerding out there...)
    Holy hell that's impressive. We need a bit more nerd round these parts. I feel I contribute a small portion of the potential nerd that this place needs. Course, my nerd spans in a different direction, but nerd never the less. I wish I could say my nerd powers could change the world, you should be proud. That's awesome!!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    nightmaremike31:
    nsezell:
    Holy hell that's impressive. We need a bit more nerd round these parts. I feel I contribute a small portion of the potential nerd that this place needs. Course, my nerd spans in a different direction, but nerd never the less. I wish I could say my nerd powers could change the world, you should be proud. That's awesome!!
    Speaking of nerds we have a guy that is running for Governor. In his commercial he says it's time that Michigan is run by a nerd! He calls himself a nerd and is proud of it. I will see if I can find it & post it later. Pretty funny stuff.