Home General Discussion

Infusing some cigars.....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
Can't remember which thread, but someone on here mentioned infusing your own cigars. One of the methods recommended was to stick a few cigars in a plastic bag with a shot of some form of liquor and let it sit for several days allowing the liquor create a 100% humidity in the bag so that it might soak into the cigars. I have Sol Cubano CC Fundadores laying around that I'm not particularly fond of, so I figured I'd experiment on this and see if it works. I have 3 cigars in a plastic bag with a shot of Wasmund's Single Malt Wiskey. I plan on leaving them in there for at least 4 days. Perhaps, after 4 days, I'll periodically remove one, let it rest, and smoke it. This might help me gauge how long they should actually stay in there.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful, even if you already said it in the other thread as I can't remember where that discussion happened.

Comments

• Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    Never tried it in a plastic bag, but an small humi or cigar box works as well. Don't let the liquor spill on the cigars. Left mine in for about a month before smoking. worked OK i guess.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    mmmm, that would be nice with some bailiys
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I prefer my alcohol and cigar side by side, not combined. But it definitely sounds interesting.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Just posted this on another thread.

I have tried this with a few different methods and a few different infusions. I've used vanilla tobacco and coffee beans and found that the resting smoke smelled very sweet and took on the scent, while the smoke itself didn't change much in terms of taste. I.E. it's not gonna taste like a dipped or flavored cigar, just slightly different than if you just stuck it in your humi on its own. I've also done this with rum and cognac.

Overall, my advice: Let them sit as LONG as possible. A week or two won't do anything. Shoot for at least 2 months. Also, use a tupperware container as cigar boxes tend to leak humidity and you've got a good chance of them drying out. I used a small piece of a sponge that I cut off and soaked in the alcohol of choice. Keep a close eye on humidity and check on the cigars often to make sure they're not too spongy. I also found that a good hearty maduro wrapper tends to soak up more flavor than a connecticut wrapper. Good luck!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    it also stands to reason that you will want a liquor with a strong flavor as it will lose something in the process of evaporation. this means you want something that leaves a good flavor behind, not a bitter. i would recommend something not too complex like a whiskey, not a traditional scotch.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    hmmmm..... perhaps I'll try a different approach then. After these comments, it doesn't sound like this work to my liking.
    Well, I decided what the hell and continued with my experiment as I started it (aka... forgot all about it). The sticks have been in for 10 days now. The humidity with the shot of Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey is holding strong at 75% and the 3 cigars have drank about 1/2 of the shot. I can only assume that no mold will grow in this bag with the high level of alcohol in the atmosphere so the 75% humidity should be fine.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Suspect I spoke to my friend who own's a B&M locally because I knew he was doing a few of these at his store with some of his house blends. He hangs them in a glass jar. The alcohol is on the bottom in a glass or container or what have you. He then put's it away for at LEAST a month before they are ready. He was telling me it all depends on the cigar and alcohol that you use. I have never had one from this particular B&M so I can not tell you how good they are or even what blend is better with what alcohol. I know this is late but hopefully it has helped. Keep us updated on how they turn out. If you figure something out I'm thinking of making my cousin rum infused cigars. He just loves them and goes on and on about them whenever we get together. Might make a good gift.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Wouldn't the absorption slow down as time goes on? I mean, the outer leaves will absorb the alcohol quickly, but it'll take time for the inner leaves to absorb it; I've been considering this for awhile now, and is 2 months really long enough to penetrate more than a millimeter or so into the leaves? Why shouldn't I just take a dropper and start putting a few drops every day into the foot of the cigar and letting it penetrate that way?
    xmacro:
    Wouldn't the absorption slow down as time goes on? I mean, the outer leaves will absorb the alcohol quickly, but it'll take time for the inner leaves to absorb it; I've been considering this for awhile now, and is 2 months really long enough to penetrate more than a millimeter or so into the leaves? Why shouldn't I just take a dropper and start putting a few drops every day into the foot of the cigar and letting it penetrate that way?
    Give it a try. That's the whole point of this, experiementation. I was thinking of even injections throughout using a really long needle. Not sure where I would find something like this, but weekly injections could certainly speed the up the process. I think the preferred method of this is to actually infuse the tobacco before it's rolled so infusing a rolled cigar might take some creativity.

As for absorbtion slowing down? I have no idea. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. Perhaps. It does stand to reason that the cigar will reach a maximum capacity.
    Sandman1am:
    Suspect I spoke to my friend who own's a B&M locally because I knew he was doing a few of these at his store with some of his house blends. He hangs them in a glass jar. The alcohol is on the bottom in a glass or container or what have you. He then put's it away for at LEAST a month before they are ready. He was telling me it all depends on the cigar and alcohol that you use. I have never had one from this particular B&M so I can not tell you how good they are or even what blend is better with what alcohol. I know this is late but hopefully it has helped. Keep us updated on how they turn out. If you figure something out I'm thinking of making my cousin rum infused cigars. He just loves them and goes on and on about them whenever we get together. Might make a good gift.
    I'm not sure how I missed your post here Tony. It's looking pretty good so far. Seems like these 3 cigars have really drank a lot of the whiskey in the last 24 hours and the humidity has jumped up to 80%. If this works out half-way decent, I'm looking forward to trying all types of blends.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    clearlysuspect:
    As for absorbtion slowing down? I have no idea. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. Perhaps. It does stand to reason that the cigar will reach a maximum capacity.
    Well, the reason I say absorption might slow down is just experience with paper towels - ever notice when you spill water on a rolled up ball of paper that the outside can be soaking wet but the interior can be bone dry?

Think I might have to try that needle method; sounds interesting, "Zee doktor iz in" *snap rubber gloves*

clearlysuspect:
    Sandman1am:
    I'm not sure how I missed your post here Tony. It's looking pretty good so far. Seems like these 3 cigars have really drank a lot of the whiskey in the last 24 hours and the humidity has jumped up to 80%. If this works out half-way decent, I'm looking forward to trying all types of blends.
    No problem it's easy to get lost in this forum. That sounds awesome. What kind of cigars are you using again? I was thinking of using some of the B&M's house blends if I do this. I was actually thinking of starting at the begining of March and hope that they would be done by May.
    Sandman1am:
    clearlysuspect:
    Sandman1am:
    No problem it's easy to get lost in this forum. That sounds awesome. What kind of cigars are you using again? I was thinking of using some of the B&M's house blends if I do this. I was actually thinking of starting at the begining of March and hope that they would be done by May.
    I'm using Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Fundadores. They're segundos.
    clearlysuspect:
    Sandman1am:
    clearlysuspect:
    Sandman1am:
    I'm using Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Fundadores. They're segundos.
    I've never had them so I can not compare them to anything. Guessing you got a good price on them since they are segundos.
  • skuzzlebutt86skuzzlebutt86 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
    so i also started a little trial like this in a old cigar box. i put a shot of Kahlua with some unknown cigars and have let them sit a month so far. i pulled one out the other day and it had a darker color and the aroma of the Kahlua and had a hint of flavor to them but not as much as i wanted. so i will be leaving them in there of a wile.
    skuzzlebutt86:
    so i also started a little trial like this in a old cigar box. i put a shot of Kahlua with some unknown cigars and have let them sit a month so far. i pulled one out the other day and it had a darker color and the aroma of the Kahlua and had a hint of flavor to them but not as much as i wanted. so i will be leaving them in there of a wile.
    Any idea what your humidity is sitting at in that cigar box? Mine are basking in 80% whiskey but would it really make that much of a difference? The Kahlua cigars sound really good. If these come about nicely, we might have arrange a trade.
    Alright. It's been one month and one day and I decided to try one of these bad boys out. The three cigars have drank about 4/5 of a shot of Wasmund's Single Malt Wiskey.

I pulled it out of the bag and noticed that the cigar was much softer (obviously, it's been sitting in 80% humidity for a month) and the wrapper had this really oily feel to it. It certainly had the aroma of the Wasmund's Single Malt Whiskey but it wasn't an overpowering smell. This is a thin cigar, fundadores or lancero, and it was so soft that when I went to push the punch into the end of it, I damn near caved the entire cap in. The prelight draw was tight and I had to open it up a little bit with my little tool. Keep in mind that I didn't particularly care for this cigar at all, which is why I chose to experiment on them. The prelight draw was delicious. I could taste all the subtleties that this scotch presents. It lit right up and burnt even the entire way though.

Just got told to go home from work early. I'll finish this up later.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I look at it like My coffee , and when i used to drink Jack Daniels, why ruin a good cup of coffee with cream and sugar, why ruin Jack Daniels with Coca-Cola, so why mess with a good or even not so good cigar with some other kind of Flavor. If I want an infused cigar I will by it that way! LOL I Love you guys this stufff is realy interesting!
    OK... to finish this thing up:

The taste of the scotch was quite noticeable at first but I think most of this was due to the cap. The cap tasted very sweet and possessed all the aromas of the whiskey. The first half of the cigar was great and was pretty much what I was looking for in this little experiment. The taste of the scotch was very noticeable but it wasn't overpowering. It simply complimented the cigar and made it a little better. Toward the second half, the flavor of the whiskey went away completely and I was back smoking a cigar that I don't quite enjoy.

I'll smoke another one of these at 2 months and the final one after 3 months. If it turns out like I think it will, I'll probably try a couple of other liquors and flavors.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    huh, interesting you actually like it. I kinda expected them to taste horrible, lol. can't wait to see how it works out in a month or two.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Rob1110:
    Just posted this on another thread.

I have tried this with a few different methods and a few different infusions. I've used vanilla tobacco and coffee beans and found that the resting smoke smelled very sweet and took on the scent, while the smoke itself didn't change much in terms of taste. I.E. it's not gonna taste like a dipped or flavored cigar, just slightly different than if you just stuck it in your humi on its own. I've also done this with rum and cognac.

Overall, my advice: Let them sit as LONG as possible. A week or two won't do anything. Shoot for at least 2 months. Also, use a tupperware container as cigar boxes tend to leak humidity and you've got a good chance of them drying out. I used a small piece of a sponge that I cut off and soaked in the alcohol of choice. Keep a close eye on humidity and check on the cigars often to make sure they're not too spongy. I also found that a good hearty maduro wrapper tends to soak up more flavor than a connecticut wrapper. Good luck!
    I teid this with a range of mild to full bodied cigars and Godiva Chocolate Liquor. Like you said, change the aroma some but not so much the flavor IMHO.
    TatuajeVI:
    huh, interesting you actually like it. I kinda expected them to taste horrible, lol. can't wait to see how it works out in a month or two.
    Yeah. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I actually wasn't sure whether I was going to like it either. LOL. The thing that really has me perplexed is why the first half tasted like the scotch but the second half didn't at all. Perhaps because the foot is open on that end? I wonder if I precut these if it would encourage circulation through the cigar and help fix this problem?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    clearlysuspect:
    TatuajeVI:
    Yeah. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I actually wasn't sure whether I was going to like it either. LOL. The thing that really has me perplexed is why the first half tasted like the scotch but the second half didn't at all. Perhaps because the foot is open on that end? I wonder if I precut these if it would encourage circulation through the cigar and help fix this problem?
    Not a bad idea, actually. It might help to soak it through with both ends of the cigar.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    this is interesting. I tried something similar with a couple Robt. Burns black watch and some rum, either Myers or Captain Morgan, I forget which, several years ago. I simply painted the cigar and put in back in the tube. As I recall, the first two didn't really turn out well, but the 3rd fell behind some books on the book shelf and I didn't find it until late last year, so it sat for, oh, at least 5 years. Smoked it, and didn't really get any of the rum, but I must say the cigar was better than the stock Black Watch, which I'm sure you know is only so-so to begin with. Still, an intriging notion, I'll follow to see what you find in the long run. Not usually much on flavored cigars, but hey, a little something different is always fun, and isn't that what we do this for?
  • stephenakirkstephenakirk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    My friend told me he used to soak cigars in cherry brandy. Knowing this will ruin the cigars I will not do this. It did however get me thinking and searching the internet, which brought be across this post. Yesterday I put two cheap Thompson black label cigars and two Gurkha regent toros (neither of which i am to fond of) into a small tupperware container with a shot of Jim Beam Red Stag. And figured I would give it a month or so. I do not know how well it will work but I thought I would give it a try. After reading through the forum I think I will go ahead and pre clip one of each to see if they infuse better. I also read that you can attempt to infuse them with ground coffee. Has anyone tried doing that? I found a guy that had done it but did not say on his blog weather or not it turned out ok.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Ive done stuff like this alot actually. Get long needles, like from an animal supply store, the IV/ injection style.

Insert from the foot and slowly release it into the filler, working your way out. I do 2 or 3 passes with like 2 or 3ml in the syringe each. I want even coverage, and dont want to soak it. I then let em rest for 3-6 months and when they are done, HOLY SMOKES are they amazing.

I tend to use Dominican rum, like Ron Barcello, but a good spiced rum will work just fine.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    To paint a clearer picture, ill b getting some needles this monday, and ill take pics of the process. It's a wonderful sensation to light up a stogie you infused with something great and waited so patiently to try. last time I used some Ron Barcelo Imperial rum, but I think this time I might go for either Macallan 12 year sherry or some Crown Royal.
  • chrisd56chrisd56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    I had some RP seconds i decieded to try this with. Took the cigars out of the humi and let them dry out for a few days, figured this would help them absorb more liquid. They have been in there for about 5-6 weeks, gonna give it another few weeks.
  • stephenakirkstephenakirk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    chrisd56:
    I had some RP seconds i decieded to try this with. Took the cigars out of the humi and let them dry out for a few days, figured this would help them absorb more liquid. They have been in there for about 5-6 weeks, gonna give it another few weeks.
    Thats a good idea i should have tried that, mine have been in for about a week, i got four in there, im gonna wait till may 1st to smoke the first one. I shouldnt need to worry about mold because of the alcohol right?