Home General Discussion

I'm getting a gift.

KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
I just found out I am getting a box/25 of some "very special" cigars. My problem is that I have about enough room in my Humi for 2 single sticks. How would you guys recommend I store the box (I don't necessarily need to open it because I already have some of these in my existing Humi)?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Temporarily you could store the box in a large ziplock type bag with a water pillow. Long term, but inexpensive, I'd say pick up a small/medium sizes rubbermaid container from Walmart and get some humidity beads, that setup might run you about $30-$40 depending on sizes and quantities, but it will also store more than a box and you can use it for more overflow.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I have a large humi with plenty of capacity, I'd be happy to smoke ... errr... STORE them for you...
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    cabinetmaker:
    I have a large humi with plenty of capacity, I'd be happy to smoke ... errr... STORE them for you...
    Actually I think I've seen pictures of yours. I love that thing!!!
    j0z3r:
    Temporarily you could store the box in a large ziplock type bag with a water pillow. Long term, but inexpensive, I'd say pick up a small/medium sizes rubbermaid container from Walmart and get some humidity beads, that setup might run you about $30-$40 depending on sizes and quantities, but it will also store more than a box and you can use it for more overflow.
    Great idea. Thank you.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    You could always think about getting a 300ct humi for aboiut 59 bucks which would serve as storage for boxes. But, beware that these fill up fast.
    Goldy:
    You could always think about getting a 300ct humi for aboiut 59 bucks which would serve as storage for boxes. But, beware that these fill up fast.
    I've had cheaper Humi's in the past and they didn't perform well. So, I dropped a lot of money on the one I have now (which works great). So, I'm leary of doing that but that thought has crossed my mind.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I have the one I mentioned and while it is cheap it holds steady around 65 which is perfect for me. Someone else just bought the same one and had a similar result.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I whole heartedly agree with this suggestion...check the container store and get one or two of the LARGE airtight containers and set it up with an ample amount of beads and prepare yourself to be able to store a larger amount as your need grows without having to constantly seek larger storage. Set up maybe a couple of these containers. At the cost, you can get two for the price of what you would pay for a large cooler. Two of these large containers cost about $30. I just bought a couple for storing unopened boxes and some opened boxes...both are being set up with beads and Boveda paks especially for sealed containers.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    KCW:
    j0z3r:
    Great idea. Thank you.
    It's a slippery slope!
    This is actually what I would suggest, and did when I was in the same boat.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    well you could use a few options. Depending on the box, if its a hearty wood box with a decent seal, you could use it as a humi itself so long as you monitor the humidity inside. Take the top row out and put them in a ziploc bag with a humicare pillow till some space opens up in either the box or the humi and then you can put some beads in the box and have 2 humis in a sense. Or.... if the box doesn't have a good seal, you can buy some large ziploc disposable tupperware container, break/cut up the box they came in to line the inside of the tupperware. throw some beads and a hygrometer in there and whammy, tupperdore. The tupperdore tends to need less humidity because the seal is airtight, so make sure you get a hygro in there and open it up to let it breathe once a day or so or you'll have a moldedore in 2 weeks.
    Thank you guys. The box is coming.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Goldy:

Where can I find this humi? Sounds like a great deal!
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    illinoisgolf99:
    Goldy:
    Where can I find this humi? Sounds like a great deal!
    The Bay...
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Sweet, do you know the model name?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Just be careful about deals like this; like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Too much money spent on cheap humidors and ruined sticks has led me to the more expensive range with handmade piece - buy quality once, and you'll only pay once . . . until that humi fills up and you need a second . . . then a third . . . then a fourth . . . ;)