Home General Discussion

Aging ciigars

UGA79UGA79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5

I am interested in aging some of my Cigar.com cigars.  I was interested in aging the MX2 by CAO, Cask Strength 5 Vegas, a few Man of Wars and Graycliff 1666. 

Several questions:

Is it worth aging these particular cigars?  If so, how long and at what humidity etc!

Thanks, Rob

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    All of those cigars are actually good candidates for aging. Typically a fuller bodied cigar ages better than a milder bodied smoke. The only question I have is have you smoked these cigars? I don't feel it is wise to age a cigar that you have not smoked fresh. If you haven't smoked it fresh you have no real point of reference.

How long and what humidity is really preference. Most people would say a year or more and 70% and 70 degrees.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    UGA79:

I am interested in aging some of my Cigar.com cigars.  I was interested in aging the MX2 by CAO, Cask Strength 5 Vegas, a few Man of Wars and Graycliff 1666. 

Several questions:

Is it worth aging these particular cigars?  If so, how long and at what humidity etc!

Thanks, Rob

Definately worth aging...throw them in humi typically you want to 65% - 70% RH and 65 - 70 degrees...one of the hardest parts to letting something rest is making sure you have lots to smoke so you aren't as tempted......
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    follow the instructions from the others.

A cigar may change a little after only a few months, a year, then even longer. Some would agree that the biggest change in aging may well be in the first year. After that, changes may take longer before they are noticeable.

If you have several of the same sticks, I'd suggest trying one of them every 3 months or so and taking notes to compare from the first to one a year later. I currently have some 3 year old sticks that I believe are at their peak and plan on smoking them within the next year (but I might save a couple even longer to see what happens.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Maduros are typically great candiates for aging. I recently bought 30 RP OWR and split 50-50. 15 for smoking now and 15 for aging. I plan on smoking one of the aged ones after a year, then so forth for comparison. (of course, I gotta take notes)
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    camgfs:
    If you have several of the same sticks, I'd suggest trying one of them every 3 months or so and taking notes to compare from the first to one a year later.
    This is an excellent piece of advice.
  • UGA79UGA79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info!  I have smoked all of them many times!  Great advice!  I have a few of each so I plan on waiting 6 months and then try one of each every three months and take notes!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I agree about aging only the fuller bodied cigars. My experience has been that most cigars mellow some in body while they improve in flavor.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    What I do is to split any order I receive between my two main humidors (smoking and aging). I always let them rest at least a month or so before I smoke one out of the smoking humi. The ones in the aging humidor, I just let alone, moving them around from time to time.

The oldest in the aging humi is about a year old and the rest from 3 to 4 months. I have not tried any out of the aging humi yet. When I do, I hope to remember what the fresh one was like. The bad news is that I forget what I had for breakfast today, so that might be a stretch!