Home General Discussion

Cold humidor temp

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
I am sure this is covered in here somewhere but I didnt find it. What is the coldest temp inside the humidor that will still be ok. The problem I am having is if I keep the humidor out in the living room for some reason the temp inside will jump to 77 or higher and the last thing I want is to get beatles. Its wierd because the room temp is set at 63. But with electric heat and all the problems that I am having with how dry that is and now temp I was wondering if I could move the humidor to my spare room that I am not heating but still keeps its temp in the 50's and has a bit more humidity in the air.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I would attempt to reach a cooler temp than 77 for sure. Cooler is better. Is the humidity level in your humidor pretty high right now too ? If so you may be headed towards a problem.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    Actually the humidity is the one thing I have been able to keep good. When I had the humidor out in the living room and the temp was 77 the humidity was 68. I moved the humidor to a closet last night to try and drop the temp and the temp went down to 69 and the humidity droped to 61 but I put a few extra beads in it to up it a bit. I just dont want to keep it in the closet because that is just asking for trouble in my house.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    The only problem you will have with lower temps would be two things...

1. The lower the temp the longer it will take to AGE/REST you cigars... (i.e. if you cigars are a little young and you want that ammonia taste to go away with time, at 50*F it will take longer) It won't hurt your cigars, and won't change them, but they will just change slower over time.

2. In colder temps you'd have to worry about humidity and air density. I am no expert on this and you'd just really have to make sure that your Hygrometer is SPOT ON and then you shouldn't have too many problems... Hope this helps
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    A wise man on another forum named Shuckins told me he places those small freezer packs in his to keep temps down when they get too high. I haven't tried this yet. I keep my humidors in my closet because it has a built in shelving unit that holds them perfectly. For some reason the builder put an air vent in the walk in closet. needless to say it gets too hot in there and I started getting worried. Now I leave my large humi on the dresser in a big open room and that helped. I like having my temp in the 60's