Home General Discussion

Cigar Compensation

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
After having an underwhelming cigar, does anyone feel the need to have a really good cigar right afterwards to make up for the suckiness? I feel like this every time a cigar has disappointed me.

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    yes, I usually wait at least 5-10 minutes though.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Absolutely. And I usually succumb to the desire too, tho I do the same thing Cabi does (wait 5 or 10 min)
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    Shoot, I'll even follow up a good cigar with a good cigar!! I typically smoke 2 per sitting with a short lull in-between. I don't get to smoke everyday, so I do my best to make up for the loss. :-)
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    4 REALS!! When I just don't feel it was as good as it should have been, I cleanse my palate with some chocolate and what not, and either have one I know is good or break out my pipe.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Yea, I also give myself some time between smokes. It's interesting that chocolate is a palate cleanser. I usually use water. Any other good palate cleansers?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    sightunseen:
    Yea, I also give myself some time between smokes. It's interesting that chocolate is a palate cleanser. I usually use water. Any other good palate cleansers?
    fruit like apples and grapes. I know some people use cheese when they are tasting wine...
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    fruit like apples and grapes. I know some people use cheese when they are tasting wine...

I wouldn't necessarily say that chocolate is a palate cleanser (beacause I have no idea really), I'm a chocoholic. I will use any excuse to eat more chocolate...

Speaking of chocolate, KUZI? I was looking at the chocolate piggy and I saw december specials of eggnog bombs... are they still available? I'm sending you a PM too.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    sightunseen:
    Sometimes i will eat a slice of white bread. I do this for two reasons, the first being the cleanse my palate and the second being to get something in my stomach so a full bodied cigar doesn't take a toll on me.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    A bad smoke is ALWAYS followed by a good smoke. I thought it was like a rule for BOTL, it's not??
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    ill second that one fla-gypsy! Crazy isnt it..... I think without a doubt it falls in the category of the disease of Addiction! Im just crazy about those Sticks! Peace
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Bad cigar leads to good cigar. It is man code and rule #5.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    If I know Im having more than one I typically bring a couple I havent tried and a couple I know I like. Ill try one I havent tried and if its a hit I may try another I havent tried. If its a dud or I dont like it, I always go to one I know Ill like. If Im only having one I usually go with something that is consistantly above average.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I smoke a bad cigar... and that's it...

I don't really smoke more than one cigar a day... so if it sucks, than it sucks...
    jsnake:
    Bad cigar leads to good cigar. It is man code and rule #5.
    Duly noted.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ive had a cigar so bad that it burned out my palate for two days. nothing tasted right. a good one right after would have been lost .
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Lasabar:
    I smoke a bad cigar... and that's it...

I don't really smoke more than one cigar a day... so if it sucks, than it sucks...
    Yeah.... I'm the same way. I can't really handle more than one cigar unless I'm out on the golf course. I'll usually take one for the front nine and one for the back. I always save the one I know I'll like for the back. Speaking of which, going to play golf in the morning. Gonna warm all the way up to 50 degrees. I need to pick out my two.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Fourtotheflush:
    If I know Im having more than one I typically bring a couple I havent tried and a couple I know I like. Ill try one I havent tried and if its a hit I may try another I havent tried. If its a dud or I dont like it, I always go to one I know Ill like. If Im only having one I usually go with something that is consistantly above average.
    This is exactly what I do as well. I do have a make-up smoke if I get something that I didn't like. Usualy only one a day any more because of the weather though, be it a good smoke or not...
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    If it's a terrible cigar, chances are I would immediatley stop smoking the damn thing, throw it out (like I did to all the Ghurkas Ive tried) and follow up with a cigar I know I will like. Also, if it so happens I smoke a nice full bodied smoke, and I am still in the mood, I might follow it up after a short break with something mild.
  • havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
    I agree with those who are less likely to reach for a second smoke after a bad one, because my definition of a bad cigar is harsh and flavorless, and I'd rather have something to drink and be done with it. More likely, after a good cigar I want another one. The problem is, my wife has no problem with one cigar. But she never lets me get away with two in one day. Now, before everyone tells me how bad off I am to be so constrained, I should say that she buys me great cigars, and actually encourages ONE. So this is a problem. Occasionally I cheat and light up a second cigar before she realizes the first one is long gone.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    You jinxed me. After reading this thread last night, I grabbed a stick and ran out for a few things I had to get done. The draw was tighter than a (fill in the blank), burn was horrible, and flavor was. . . missing. By the time I got home, I didn't have time go make up for it. Today may be a three stick day. I have been out of work for the past three weeks due to a minor back surgery and go back next week.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I don't often encounter a bad cigar, but if one starts to get nasty or funky in any way, and I feel it is not going to get better, I have to toss it. I hate to throw out anything that I spent money on, but, the memory of a bad experience lasts longer than the memory of a few lost dollars.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    This is not something I would usually do. However, I have started some cigars I really didn't like and just let them go out and then lit up one of my favorites. But if I finish a cigar, I usually don't light up another that day.
  • notveryfarnotveryfar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    If I have a bad cigar I will also toss it out, and then I'll light up a better one depending on time restraints. It sucks to throw out something you spent money on but better than enduring a bad stick. On palat I just found out today that klondike bars work real well. They are quite tasty. I had my first klondike bar today.
  • TGOTGO Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 333
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    Sometimes i will eat a slice of white bread. I do this for two reasons, the first being the cleanse my palate and the second being to get something in my stomach so a full bodied cigar doesn't take a toll on me.
    ~~~ I go with a shrimp burrito :)
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    LOL this one sounds like me!!!!!! My wife Loves ONE... I dont smoke every day, Its hard for me to find time to sit down and enjoy it the right way more than 2-3 times a week, I got rid of allot of VERY EXPENSIVE Vices or Habits or Addictions YEARS ago...... and If not careful My Love for Good Cigars can get Just as Expensive! LOL Love these topics in forums and seeing Im not alone!
    Oh, I want to add that I've only had MAYBE 5 to 10 cigars in a 2 year period I would consider "bad" to the point where I would want something to compensate the experience. Very rarely do I find a cigar that I can't find something enjoyable about.
    TGO:
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    ~~~ I go with a shrimp burrito :)
    Not a fish taco?