Home General Discussion

Boutique vs. mass market

SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
I was reading today's aily deal about the Torano cigars, and was wondering, if the Torano line makes 20 million cigars a year, how is this considered boutique? Don't get me wrong, there are a number of Torano branded cigars I like, but to define the brand boutique seems a misnomer. I always thought 'boutique' meant small batches, a handful of blends, and a specialty niche so to speak.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I have the same impression of what boutique means in regards to cigars. I guess they must make a distinction between companies like Padilla, Toraño, Padron, etc, to companies like General Cigar or Altadis who produce many different brands, and blends within those brands, throughout different factories and such. That's the best I can figure anyway. It would seem accurate to have another level of distinction: True boutique (like a very small line of self-made cigars), Mass Boutique (like Toraño, Oliva, Padilla, Padron), and then Mass Market (General Cigar, Altadis, etc.). I don't know, too many words with gray area definitions.
  • TomUferTomUfer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6
    I would have to agree with you on your definition. There are quite a few cigar brands I would consider boutique. Toraño isn't one of them.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I love Torano cigars, but I agree. They are much larger than A. J. Fernandez, and Jesus Fuego which are two of todays top Boutiques. That said, It doesn't matter if the product is good? I was pleasantly shocked by the Punch Upper Cut yesterday.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I'm in the same boat... I have no idea how to make the distinction, but oh well... I'll smoke 'em all anyways!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    jacketsrule:
    I was pleasantly shocked by the Punch Upper Cut yesterday.
    Never fails to amaze me how completely evident it is that we all have very different palates. I, for example, was thoroughly underwhelmed by the Punch UpperCut, and in fact quite disappointed. Now, I may have snagged a dud, but I won't be rushing to give it another try any time soon.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I usually try to equate these relationships to Beer. Budweiser/Miller - Sam Adams/Harpoon - Bear Racer/Smutty Nose etc.
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    Really, just smoke what you like.  I love Padilla and Drew Estates and some people (like a nearby B&M proprietor) wouldn't touch Drew Estates with a ten foot pole.  Smoke what you like.