Home General Discussion

Idea?

JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
I have been thinking about the best way to counter the dry winter air. What I have come up with, and forgive me if someone already posted about this is to put my humidors in a room with a plug in the wall humidifier. The ones you use when your kids are sick. I put my humis in a room with 1 running to see if it helps. Anyone ever tried this? Any pros or cons you can think of??

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    That sounds like a great idea. With the room humidifier, the difference in RH between the inside and outside of the humi would be reduced, which would lesseen the stress on the humi. I can't think of any cons. Plus, it takes you one step closer to having a walk-in humidor.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the only con i can think of is the amount of waste.
    wasted distilled, electricity, etc...

but if you try it, tell us how it works out.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I have them in there as we speak. I'll update tomorrow afternoon with the results from the 1st 24 hours.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    My humi is at 70% 9 months out of the year. During the cold winter months (Jan, Feb, March) it drops to 60%. I have always kept them in the living room where the kids can't touch them. This year, when the humidors dropped to 60% I brought them up to the bedroom where we have a humidifier. This humidifier lets out a warm mist (steam) versus the kids room that releases a cool mist. Within 24 hours, they were back up to 70%.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I have been thinking about doing this, but my humidifier is being used in my son's room. It should work.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Its a good idea for you and your cigars. Dry winter air is a killer on the skin and lungs. I used to run one in the winter, now I have a fish tank and it evaporates enough water to keep the lvl of humidty in my room pretty high, it makes a big difference in my lvl of energy and overall felling of well being. Just make sure you clean the humidifier often and if you are not using distilled water let the water you are going to use sit out for 24 hours to let most of the clorie out. Also with more moisture in the air the room with "seem" warmer because "heat index" will rise, so double plus good for that!
  • kevster77kevster77 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 68
    sounds like a mr. wizard idea. if it works i'm trying it. this heat is kicking my humis ass.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I have a newborn and we run a humidifier constantly for her. This humi is definately going to the bedroom now!!!! Very good idea!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    jeff_connors:
    Also with more moisture in the air the room with "seem" warmer because "heat index" will rise, so double plus good for that!
    Ahhh.... using a little bit of Orwell's "double speak" I see.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    I have had a humidifier in the room with my cigars for about a month now and my cigars have never been better I was having a terrible time with my humidity in my humidor and adding a humidifier in my room worked out great !
    Update for the first 24 hours. All is well so far, temperature in 70.2 degrees which is up 5 degrees and the humidity is up to 68% which started at 64%. Looks good so far , I will let you know if it stays consistent.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    JZ, what is your ambient RH in your house this time of year usually? Without the humidifier.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I run a humidifier for my entire house during the winter. I was gone over last weekend & it wasn't on. When I came home I had to add water to my humi's as well as the humidifier to get the RH back up to a good standing level for my sticks. I even had the heat turned down but I guess with the humidifier not on it just sucked all the moisture out of the air & everywhere else. I would recommend a humidifier if you do not have one.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    I keep my coolerdor in my livingroom. Which also happens to contain several fish tanks, including a 80 gallon, multi tank salt water system. The amount of evaporation from this system is insane... in the winter, my sliding glass doors are frozen from the condensation. Its the best room in the house for a humidor!
    Not 100% sure but I remember my digital hygrometer reading 41% when I had it out for several minutes a couple of weeks ago. I'll check next time I open the humi to know for sure. Great question though!
    48 hours in and my RH is bouncing between 69% and 70%. I've never had my RH up to this level in the winter. I'm hoping that is stabilizes right there and doesnt keep going up, or I'll have to plug in a dehumidifier as well to counter act! LOL JK!!
    Well I'm here with some good news with my project. My humidors (3) were all doing very well when I used a humidifier. I didnt leave it on all the time since I wasnt home when the water ran out everytime. They were without it several hours per day and still held strong at 67% to 70%. Unfortunately a severe cold hit my family so the humidifier was used in another room to help with the colds. The humidors over a few days went back to 60% or so. I bought another humidifier and the humi's are back to 67%. The only caution I could give is to be careful about big humidity changes several times, I think my sticks should be fine as they look and feel great.