Home General Discussion

V cutter...

stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
So guys I got a new v-cut the other day, and I must say it's not the most precise cut but the concentration of flavors is phenomenal.
Even more so than a punch.

Due to the shape of the opening you can fell the smoke wash over your taste buds.
I'm noticing more details with the flavor profile.
Has anyone else tried these?

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I tried a v-cut at my B & M a while back. It was on a just OK cigar, so I didn't notice a big difference, but I didn't dislike it. My son got me an engraved Xikar for Christmas, so I don't think I'll be getting a v-cut any time soon. Good luck with yours.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I was given one by my local B&M to try. I tried it two different ways a few times, one cut & two cuts in opposite directions. I didn't notice much of a flavor change in the cigar, maybe that was just me. What I did notice was that it cut the cigar in such a way that I got more tobacco in my mouth than if I were to cut or punch a stick. I was able to get a better draw from the cigar than if I punched it, maybe that is where the difference in taste is for you, IDK??? I also had a stick (the cap) get damaged when trying to use it. Luckily I was able to salvage it by cutting the stick just beyond the damaged portion. IMHO I do not like using the V cutter nor would I recommend it to anyone. That being said if anyone wants to try it out I have one that I am willing to part with.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    stephen_hannibal:
    So guys I got a new v-cut the other day, and I must say it's not the most precise cut but the concentration of flavors is phenomenal.
    Even more so than a punch.

Due to the shape of the opening you can fell the smoke wash over your taste buds.
    I'm noticing more details with the flavor profile.
    Has anyone else tried these?
    I have one but I don't know where it is. It may be in the truck somewhere. Who knows. I did like them though but it could be a little sharper. Definately fixed the tar buildup issue I have it punches sometimes.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I've had V-Cut on only one cigar... and it happened to say "It's a Girl" on it, and did NOT say Fuente...

So I don't have much say on this one except that I didn't find it a bad cut or draw at all
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I eat a lot more tobacco pieces with a V cut more than any other cut.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    at my local M&M they have this old Wheel V cut on the counter it looks like a big Giant squid Beak... makes an awesome cut with great draw and I know what he means about the Flavors rolling over the tatse buds, you can Feel the smoke roll over your tounge ! I Love it...... I would love to take that cutter off your hands! LOL Peace Ozzie
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Redtailhawkoz:
    at my local M&M they have this old Wheel V cut on the counter it looks like a big Giant squid Beak... makes an awesome cut with great draw and I know what he means about the Flavors rolling over the tatse buds, you can Feel the smoke roll over your tounge ! I Love it...... I would love to take that cutter off your hands! LOL Peace Ozzie
    That's funny! The one time I tried a v-cut was at my B & M and they had the same big cutter on the counter. The thing itself looked like it was a hundred years old, but it did make a really good cut.
    yeah i am thinking that if we all tryed this old V cutter we would all love them! the one at my B&M is an Antique too! I already offered to buy it and the owner who I have become friends with told me to get in line that hundreeds of people have tryed to buy it over the years!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Ozzie if you really want it that bad send me a PM with your contact information. I will be honest with you it is not going to be anywhere close to what you used at your B&M. This is a plastic freebie I got from my friend who own's a B&M. Either way if you want it it's all yours.
    yeah i know its not I have never even seen one besides this one on my B&ms Counter! LOL i dont think it would be worth the effort! LOL Thanks for the offer Sandman
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    You know, I've been enamored with using a v-cut for the past few months. Don't know that I detect much difference in tastes, I just like the feel and the draw of it. I've been smoking some smaller vitolas for quickies in the cold weather, and the v-cut seems to work well with these, although I'm wondering if I would like it as much with larger vitolas. Another thing to experiment with in the coming months I guess.
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    Probably what you should do is start with a V-cut and if the draw is too tight go to a punch and if the draw is still to tight, cut it.  I don't have the patience for all that and I just cut mine.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    That's one reason I kinda like playing around with the v-cutter - if I don't like the draw or don't get the cut just right etc, I can always just snip it off with the regular cutter and be fine.

I tried doing the double cut/perpendicular v-cut thing (creating an "x") and didn't care for that at all. Made a mess - too much loose tobacco.