Home General Discussion

humi problem tickin' me off.

kevster77kevster77 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 68
before i left for a trip up north my humi was at 68%. i was gone for a week and returned back to florida to find my humi at 58%. i recently had to turn the heat on and not sure if that had anything to do with the drop in rh. i've recharged the humi packs and still no rise in the rh. is there anything i can do to fix this problem, and are my smokes still good to enjoy?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    58% isnt that bad. your cigars should be fine.

heaters dry the air out. this was probably the cause. add distilled to your humidification device and DONT OPEN the humidor more than once in a 24 hour period. the more you expose to this dry air, the harder it is for your humidity to recover.
  • kevster77kevster77 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 68
    maybe opening it every few hours to check if it's getting better wasn't a good thing. thanks for the info.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I ran into a similar situation when we had our cold snap a couple of months ago. The heater was on higher and for longer than normal and my RH was dropping precipitously. I put a shot of distilled water in my humi as a "booster" and only opened my humi when I needed to. The combination helped bring my RH back up to an adequate level.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    I have this same issue with mine as well. But being in Cleveland its not a suprise when we get cold weather so I got some extra humi-beads that I put in for the winter months and it recovers well.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Mine stays right around 68-70 % i guess im blessd that it doesnt fluctuate to much... Opening it allot does affect it. Sometimes you cant help just checking on your babys!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    In the summer I leave my stock in the basement as it is cooler and more humid down there. I can usually take out most of the humidification. In the winter I bring them upstairs because it is warmer but less humid. I do have to add more beads. I also add distilled water more frequently. I have a humidfier for my house that I use in the winter & this helps to keep it comfortable for me as well as my sticks when the furnace is on. You may not need one in Florida but it might not hurt to have a small one for the room you keep your sticks in just in case it gets cold like it has in the past week or so. They are not very expensive & do not take much to take care of. I agree with Kuzi that your sticks should be fine. I know it's hard but try to keep the humi closed. Also have you done a salt test lately to make sure your hydrometer is correct?
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Heartfelt Beads! I started having problems this winter and just got those things. As advertised a perfect 65%RH in my 3 humidors and they are so easy and care free to use. Glad I finally listened to you guys.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    I live in Buffalo, NY and the weather blows ....... it used to be a pain in the *** to keep the humidity right until i got my life simplified and got the conserva gel 65% humidity beads ........ i dont even worry about my humi's anymore and can sleep the entire night like a baby
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I reseasoned my humidor the other day, and its sitting at 65%. I figure that it should be fine if it stays there. I'm sure it will drop when I put the sticks back in. It's been brutally cold in Atlanta for the last 2 weeks or so with temps in the mid teens and highs in the 20's. Hopefully a warm up is on its way.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Hey JZ, I'm right up the road in SC and have had the same problem (not used to it being this cold for this long around here) and I just reseasoned my humi as well and am waiting to transfer my sticks out of tupperware and back into the humi. Question: how long did you let your humi sit before putting your sticks back in it? I re-seasoned mine about 48 hours ago and it seems to have stabilized at 65%, but I don't want to throw my cigars back in there too soon and have to start over.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    Winter = dry air inside your home. Especially if you have gas heat. My humidors are hard pressed to stay at 65% in the winter here in ole' St Louis. IThey stay at 61 to 55% in the winter. ts been cold as ice here, and my home heater has been going almost nonstop. it means very dry air. Dry air means an overextended room humidifier filled up with water twice a day in my cigar room. The lower the temperature the more the heater has to work to warm the place up. The more the heater has to work, the lower the humidity, and the more I have to humidify my beads, and the more cigars I buy, the more I have to keep an eye on things. Don't sweat it. The cigars will be fine and long as you check on them periodically, your smokes will be fine. Welcome to the hell that is the frozen Styx.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Season your humi regularly.... I season mine twice a month in the winter and every other month in the warmer months.

In Sh**cago, we have two seasons: Winter and construction.
  • kevster77kevster77 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 68
    thanks for all the help guys, yes i have done the salt test and it worked out fine so i know that it's working. this cold crap just needs to go away.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Boveda Packs ...drop and forget