Home Ratings & Reviews

Casa Magna

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130

My friend gave me a robusto to try last night. Started off with a little spice and as the cigar burned on, I thought I caught flavors of burnt molasses/caramel, which was fitting with the clear cold night. My palatte is nowhere near developed so I can't tell you if there was any sort of complexity. The burn was great in the first half, with an inch and a quarter of ash before I encouraged it to fall. After the first ash I had occasional burn problems that I had to correct.

From the beginning, the cigar had a rather tight draw. I didn't mind this at first but as I progressed through the cigar, the draw got tighter until I had to use my punch to get some airflow going. In addition, there was a small bit of tar that started to build up in the second half, which really affect the flavors and increased my chances of tongue cancer. I finally got tired of fighting it and toss it with about two inches left.

Overall, the experience was medicore due to what happened in the second half, but I enjoyed the first half so much that I am willing to try this stick again.

I did some research afterwards and it looks like this brand is from Manuel Queseda and Nestor Plasencia. I tried to find this stick online and it seems like no one carries it. Has anyone else tried this? If so, please let me know what your experience with it was like.

Comments

• mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Ive smoked quite a few of these and I purchased a box. I like em and have yet to have any burn or draw issues with one. I find it to be very complex,flavorful and full bodied. A Nic Puro, a great price.. just about all of my favorite qualities in a cigar. I would compare a Casa Magna to 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, Olivia V, San Cristobal and for some reason the Relic, even though its a Dom. Puro and has a totaly different taste profile and I cant think of one without thinking of the other.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    ...hey mustlovecigars, I was THISCLOSE to smoking one of your Casa Magnas today. Back in June you sent me one in a Fun and Games package, with six months on it I figured it was ready. Then, I left it in my humidor at work.. I will have to try it tomorrow. CA's cigar of the Year in 2008 and ratings of 92+ this has got to be good. That says a lot when a "Regular Guy" cigar beats 25 dollar Cubans and Special Anniversary Fuentes or Padrons. I read that catalog and online sales are limited by distributors (S.A.G./ Matasa) so they should be found mainly in your local B&M. I have not seen them at the stores I visit, so I hope this one meets my expectations.
    Your favorite online cigar merchant can get these for you, you just have to ask via telephone. There is a new one out now with an Oscuro wrapper, Im interested in trying it out.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    mustluvcigars:
    Your favorite online cigar merchant can get these for you, you just have to ask via telephone. There is a new one out now with an Oscuro wrapper, Im interested in trying it out.
    which one is that?.... I haven't had any of these yet, though it's been talked a lot about over the last year.
  • 24footjet24footjet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 132
    I ordered a box about a month ago after buying a couple at a cigar shop. I really enjoy them, a perfect tasting cigar for me. Been watching and reading some reviews on them and guys pick them apart with a fine tooth comb, funny to see. It's a fantastic cigar. As for the bad draw I have never had one, and if a cigar has a bad draw I have a tendency to give up on it. I have several Montecristo Media Noches that I may never touch again even though the flavor is great. Of the 4 I have smoked, 3 have had HORRIBLE draw issues. The Casa Magna is pretty high on my list, probably number one at this point in time.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I would not hesitate to try this stick again, especially based on the good reviews I've read from you guys. I'm going to chalk up the bad draw as a fluke. One really can't judge a cigar after having just one.
    24footjet:
    I ordered a box about a month ago after buying a couple at a cigar shop. I really enjoy them, a perfect tasting cigar for me. Been watching and reading some reviews on them and guys pick them apart with a fine tooth comb, funny to see. It's a fantastic cigar. As for the bad draw I have never had one, and if a cigar has a bad draw I have a tendency to give up on it. I have several Montecristo Media Noches that I may never touch again even though the flavor is great. Of the 4 I have smoked, 3 have had HORRIBLE draw issues. The Casa Magna is pretty high on my list, probably number one at this point in time.
    I had the same expeirence with Montecristo Media Noches Edmundos, bought a fiver of these thinking i would really like em, First two or three made want to write em off, then got to the last and WOW!!, Rest, I believe, made the difference, bought a box, let them the rest and have loved every one Ive picked up since.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I honestly wasn't impressed with the Casa Magna. I've had a few of them and none were really bad, but just never got much flavor and didn't really care all that much for the flavor they had. I don't see how anyone could justify it as the Cigar of the Year. There are tons of smokes out there that are better for the same price.

PuroFreak:
    I honestly wasn't impressed with the Casa Magna. I've had a few of them and none were really bad, but just never got much flavor and didn't really care all that much for the flavor they had. I don't see how anyone could justify it as the Cigar of the Year. There are tons of smokes out there that are better for the same price.

Do you have any recommendations? Always down to try out new cigars.

• 24footjet24footjet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 132
    That's good to hear about the Media Noches...I thought they had great flavor but my tongue was enormous from sucking so hard. Hopefully they are loosening up a bit so I can enjoy them... I'm thinking I need to light one up now, it's been 5 months. Thanks.
    sightunseen:

PuroFreak:

Do you have any recommendations? Always down to try out new cigars.

Topping the list of value priced cigars that are amazing would be Ambos Mundos. You can get them for $5 or less a stick and they are great.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    This is exactly why I can't stop buying cigars.. Now I have to try the Ambos Mundos ( both worlds). Do you like the Nic. Habano, or the Ecuador Sumatra wrapper better. I will always go E.S. as most of my favorites fall in that category. He-ll better try both.
    Both are very good. I really don't know which I would consider better. The Tatuaje White Label P Series cigars are very good too for a cheaper smoke.

So I took Puro's advice and picked up some Ambos Mundos (Habano and Sumatra) at the local B&M. I have to say, it's a very good smoke. The Habano was very sweet and creamy with some cedar. The Sumatra was more nutty/woody, but still creamy. Both sticks were superbly constructed with straight burns and a solid ash.

Both sticks came out at $5.99/ea (not including sales tax). Washington state has a ridiculous tobacco tax rate. Even so, I think it's a great value.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    PuroFreak:
    I had a smiliar experience to Puro - the first I tried was just boring. I kept powering through hoping I would find some flavor. So I picked up another a few months later and let her rest for three months. It was even worse - burned horribly and the taste was aweful after I relit it 5 times. I put it out half way through and wished I had earlier than that.

I assume the two I had were just bad and I need to retry them. I doubt I'll ever buy another, though. Maybe if I get one in a trade or something.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the Ambos Mundos. I haven't had anything by Pete Johnson I haven't liked and the Ambos is a great value. I got one which was in a Toro size and it was I think about $4.80 with tax. Damn good deal.