Home General Discussion

easy smokin

mplaistedmplaisted Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
I have a few buddies whose ideas of good cigars include Backwoods and Swishers.  When they're over I usually offer them a cigar from the humidor and more often than not we usually end up on the back porch smoking cigars and drinking some beers.  I try to give them something a bit mild but I'm more of a medium to full strength guy.  One several occasions some of them have taken about 5 or 6 puffs on a good stick and then smashed it out in the ash tray.  I have since tried to keep some inexpensive sticks on tap for such the occasion, but feel kind of cheap and think that if I gave them a good stick, maybe they would like it and smoke more than the first 1/2 inch.  Does anybody else keep some inexpensive cigars in their humidor for similar occasions, or should I just quit being cheap and cough up the goods?  If anybody does keep some cheapies, what owuld be a decent, inexpensive, mild cigar for those who don't smoke a whole lot?

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I don't usually do that because it's just my son and I smoking out of my humidors. I do keep some mid-priced cigars for trading with some guys from work.

If someone does trade me a really good stick, I try to respond in kind. In your situation, I think I would indeed keep some lower priced ones for novices and friends who seldom smoke cigars.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    mplaisted:
    I have a few buddies whose ideas of good cigars include Backwoods and Swishers.  When they're over I usually offer them a cigar from the humidor and more often than not we usually end up on the back porch smoking cigars and drinking some beers.  I try to give them something a bit mild but I'm more of a medium to full strength guy.  One several occasions some of them have taken about 5 or 6 puffs on a good stick and then smashed it out in the ash tray.  I have since tried to keep some inexpensive sticks on tap for such the occasion, but feel kind of cheap and think that if I gave them a good stick, maybe they would like it and smoke more than the first 1/2 inch.  Does anybody else keep some inexpensive cigars in their humidor for similar occasions, or should I just quit being cheap and cough up the goods?  If anybody does keep some cheapies, what owuld be a decent, inexpensive, mild cigar for those who don't smoke a whole lot?
    The whole house blend line could do the trick for you. They range from mild up to the ubber tasty Brazilian,

There are many cheaper sticks in C.Com inventory that are tasty and that wouldn't have set you back too much, if one of your buddies does kill it before it's time.
    Give one of the Reps. at C.Com a call, explain your situation and they will offer some great advice. Good luck.

Drop by the new members welcoming thread and introduce yourself. And most of all... WELCOME to the forums.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    mplaisted:
    I would just keep some white owls for 'em. lol. I still will smoke a backwoods while camping or something, they aren't all that bad, but I wouldn't give someone a cigar that has no respect for 'em, even cheap cigars are 5 bucks a pop. Maybe you should get a 5er of the CCom house blends Blue label. Their cheap and mild.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    laker1963:
    mplaisted:
    The whole house blend line could do the trick for you. They range from mild up to the ubber tasty Brazilian,

There are many cheaper sticks in C.Com inventory that are tasty and that wouldn't have set you back too much, if one of your buddies does kill it before it's time.
    Give one of the Reps. at C.Com a call, explain your situation and they will offer some great advice. Good luck.

Drop by the new members welcoming thread and introduce yourself. And most of all... WELCOME to the forums.
    lakes, have you had the CAO brazilian (forgive me if I forgot)? I prefer that to the house blend. I found the brazilian blend a bit underwhelming.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    phobicsquirrel:
    mplaisted:
    I would just keep some white owls for 'em. lol. I still will smoke a backwoods while camping or something, they aren't all that bad, but I wouldn't give someone a cigar that has no respect for 'em, even cheap cigars are 5 bucks a pop. Maybe you should get a 5er of the CCom house blends Blue label. Their cheap and mild.
    This is how I feel about it. I know you don't want to be cheap, but if they put out a good cigar within five puffs and snuff it, that's wasting money and your stock.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Matt Marvel:
    phobicsquirrel:
    mplaisted:
    This is how I feel about it. I know you don't want to be cheap, but if they put out a good cigar within five puffs and snuff it, that's wasting money and your stock.
    I'd have to agree with this viewpoint. Some friends of mine host bbqs at their house every Saturday night, so once I got into cigars I started bringing over some (cheaper, but still decent) sticks to share. Without fail, every single one of those sticks was put down with 60% left. After a couple of weeks, I just stopped bothering - someone who does that is just doing it for kicks, versus actually enjoying it (in my opinion).

If you really want to have some on hand, I'd have to say to go with any of the House blends, just from what I've seen recommended on here. Good sticks, good price. Or, you could wait for a suitable Daily Deal to come up and just buy a bunch (I got 20 5 Vegas Classic Double Coronas for $35 a week ago) - I'd hand out that cigar to pretty much anybody, and yet my cost was all of $1.75 a stick. I totally understand wanting to have some on hand - I love entertaining, and there's all manner of costs associated with this. At $1.75 for a decent stick, I'd think I was pretty economical.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    laker1963:
    mplaisted:

lakes, have you had the CAO brazilian (forgive me if I forgot)? I prefer that to the house blend. I found the brazilian blend a bit underwhelming.
    Yeah, actually the CAO BRazilian in the Gol size is one of the tastiest sticks out there IMO.

While the House Blend Brazilian is not as tasty, it is VERY close to the CAO at least in the Gol size.
    Also I will make this disclaimer here regarding the House Blends. My choice of vitola for the House Blends is the Corona size. I have had them in several sizes and without exception I find that they show off their best stuff in the Corona size. IMO.

But yes the CAO Brazilians are the BOMB!
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    mplaisted:
    They sound a little rude to me, if they refuse to try your premiums then just let them smoke thier backwoods.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I second the Ccom Brazilian labels, those are fantastic cigars for the price. There are other bundle cigars you can normally snag for around $2 a stick you might want to check into. 2nds are a good way to go also.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    It's a tough situation to hand out sticks to friends knowing they might put it out immediately. I find myself in this spot from time to time. I want to give them something good just in case they love it, but I don't love wasting all my premiums so I do what Hays suggests and I give them cigars I got on great Daily Deals. This way they get a good cigar to try, I'm not wasting much money, the cigars I'm giving to them are the ones I like, too, valuable space in the humidor is not wasted, etc. I wouldn't keep cigars that I don't like myself in the humidor just for these occasions.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    T. Gervais:
    mplaisted:
    They sound a little rude to me, if they refuse to try your premiums then just let them smoke thier backwoods.
    This was my first reaction too, I would have been pissed if they did that to one of my good smokes. Ccom labels are a good cheap smoke, and probably worth trying at this point to move t hem off the backwoods garbage. But I wouldn't go much more expensive than that.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Try keeping some macanudos around they're inexpensive and not terrible flavorful... something like the ascot might work.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I'd do something mischevious and buy some of the c.com labels, Sherpa, or Indios Puros, tear the labels off all of them and fabricate some story about how I exclusively picked them up while backpacking through south and central america. I'm not much for telling lies, but I just love to see how someone's perception of something can change when value is added to it. A cigar placebo if you will.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    yea i usually will give out my dotd or cigars that i bought that i did not end up enjoying - good thing for me however is that most of my friends enjoy cigars and have their own humidors so we never show up empty handed.
    I'm about to go out and smoke a Dominico, Carlos Torano's new bundle cigar. I'll let you know how it is.
    Its pretty good, definately worth more than they are selling for.
  • rad1964rad1964 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 189
    I would just keep a bunch of Sancho Panzas around... they are very good and the price can be $3.88 or so. I even tried the Sancho Panza Matadors the almost a cigarillo style. They are smooth and a few of my friends really dig them as an alternative. On the plus side a tin of ten is about $7.70 a shot! And they do look like mini cigars - oh so cute lol