Home General Discussion

A cigar Odessey

dwikoffdwikoff Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
Being a 47 year cigarette smoker, I was listening to a Rush Limbaugh program one morning, when he was talking with a cigar smoker. He said that his cigar of choice was an Arturo Fuente Opus X. I was intrigued and went online and ordered 5 Opus X cigars. They were wonderful! Smooth, flavorful, wonderfully constructed and far exceeded anything I had ever experienced before. My previous experience with cigars had been with "It's a boy, or It's a girl" cigars given at the birth of a child and I could barely finish them. I ordered a humidor and went about filling it with several samplers. My humidor was filled and I smoked many good (and many bad) cigars. After many tries, I finally assembled my own sampler of fine cigars. I purchased two each of:
Arturo Fuente Opus X, Padron 1926 Family Reserve. Diamond Crown Maximus, Ave Maria Immaculata, Alec Bradley Prensada, Flor de las Antillas, and Davidoff Millinium. All of these cigars lived up to their reputation. I was in cigar heaven! What it boiled down to was; There is no better cigar currently on the market that can hold a candle to the Padron 1926 Family reserve maduro torpedo. It is truly the finest cigar on the market today. I smoked it down to less than an inch and wanted more! I also smoked the Ave Maria Immaculata to less than an inch and the Opus X also. These are truly great cigars and I wish that I was independently wealthy and could smoke them on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I am not and therefore, would recommend the Alec Bradley Prensado as an alternate to the Padron Family Reserve. Very much in the same tradition, taste and smoking pleasure, at half the cost.

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    Absolutly.... I love the presnado.... for the price... hard to beat!

Aj
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    This is really cool. I'm sure most of us would be hesitant if not downright resistant to put Ave Maria Immaculata up there with those bigger names, but a new guy's perspective can be enlightening. I haven't had an immaculata yet, but now I probably have to.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 859
    dwikoff:
    Being a 47 year cigarette smoker, I was listening to a Rush Limbaugh program one morning, when he was talking with a cigar smoker. He said that his cigar of choice was an Arturo Fuente Opus X. I was intrigued and went online and ordered 5 Opus X cigars. They were wonderful! Smooth, flavorful, wonderfully constructed and far exceeded anything I had ever experienced before. My previous experience with cigars had been with "It's a boy, or It's a girl" cigars given at the birth of a child and I could barely finish them. I ordered a humidor and went about filling it with several samplers. My humidor was filled and I smoked many good (and many bad) cigars. After many tries, I finally assembled my own sampler of fine cigars. I purchased two each of: Arturo Fuente Opus X, Padron 1926 Family Reserve. Diamond Crown Maximus, Ave Maria Immaculata, Alec Bradley Prensada, Flor de las Antillas, and Davidoff Millinium. All of these cigars lived up to their reputation. I was in cigar heaven! What it boiled down to was; There is no better cigar currently on the market that can hold a candle to the Padron 1926 Family reserve maduro torpedo. It is truly the finest cigar on the market today. I smoked it down to less than an inch and wanted more! I also smoked the Ave Maria Immaculata to less than an inch and the Opus X also. These are truly great cigars and I wish that I was independently wealthy and could smoke them on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I am not and therefore, would recommend the Alec Bradley Prensado as an alternate to the Padron Family Reserve. Very much in the same tradition, taste and smoking pleasure, at half the cost.

If you liked the Padron maduro, I recommend giving the 601 maduro with the blue label a try. I call it the poor man Padron. Fairly similar flavor profile at a much much lower price. Anyone else agree?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    IMO it's hard too best a padron anny! I do enjoy padrons normal line and think they are great at 65rh with a year of rest on them