Home General Discussion

Travel to the Dominican Republic

EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
So, the fiancé and I are considering the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon. (I told you she was a good women!). Anyone travel there? Advice? Ideas? She, by the way, speaks Spanish fluently.

Comments

• TomGreenTomGreen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    Just dont go to poor neighbourhoods during night and it all should be fine, quiet awesome >
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    TomGreen:
    Just dont go to poor neighbourhoods during night and it all should be fine, quiet awesome place actually
    i know why thats funny.

if you are looking for cigar related places to go you are going to need to plan way ahead and call them up to set things up. i think some of the super small places may have tours that you could go on but i know for a fact that Davidoff, LFD, and Fuente are very "closed shop" kinda places. they will let people on scheduled tours with cigar tourism groups but they will feel a bit uneasy about it. (less now than in the past).

those make for strange tours.

if you are looking for an entire cigar trip then check out http://www.cigartourism.com/

if you are looking for nothing cigar related, then i have no idea why you posted this thread. <sarcasm> the Dominican has nothing to do but cigar related stuff. </sarcasm>
  • 11rocket1111rocket11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 138
    I have been down there twice with my wife, we both loved it. We stayed at the Bahia Grand Principe, huge resort with lots going on. Can't really help with cigars however, didn't really get to the factories. I did happen to go to a place called Mundo Autentico, a small factory where they roll their own brand called Don Lucas. The also have a giant walk in humidor with a great selection.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Just have fun Eric.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    Congrats on the up comming wedding!!!!!!
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Glock1975:
    Just have fun Eric.
    Well of course!
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Bump. Any other advice?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Don't drink the water?
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    It is a beautiful country. Things are well organized just book things in advance. If you speak little Spanish it will make your trip fun. Unfortunetly when I visited DR last time I wasn't a cigar smoker so did not visit any cigar sites. Easy to rent a car and drive around. People are friendly.
  • SashavoiSashavoi Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    If you know spanish you will be fine. Try some of the local cuisine and some drinks of course. People are nice and pleasent to foreigners there.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Echambers:
    So, the fiancé and I are considering the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon. (I told you she was a good women!). Anyone travel there? Advice? Ideas? She, by the way, speaks Spanish fluently.
    It was..okay when I went. Don't go in January it was still cold as balls and wind was hauling. We stayed in Punta Cana. It was okay, we were warned to only go outside the compound with hotels "certified"taxis. Yeah certified to rip you a new one! For example I wanted to ho to LFD factory.. dang cabbies wanted $500 for like 40,miles. Look into cigar country and their tours. Oh and lastly, almost EVERY cigar you come across is fake so don't buy the box of Opus x for $45
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    E,

My wife and I took our honeymoon in Punta Cana last January. We stayed at the Majestic Colonial and didn't leave the resort at all save for a round of golf and an open-air bus excursion of the countryside. One of the stops was a cane plantation that had a rum distillery and a little cigar factory on the property. Very small operation and for the life of me I can't even remember what brand was called.

Our resort had a cigar shop on the premesis, but it was total "gringo" prices, if you know what I mean. They wanted $74 for a single Cohiba, which may have been a counterfeit for all I could tell.

Also, they guys on the beach selling cigars...two words: Banana leaf.

I just packed a bunch of sticks in my herfador for the trip and was happy as a pig in sh!t just puffing a Diesel in the sunshine by the pool.

Have a good time, and congratulations!
  • MAWartMAWart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    Echambers:
    Bump. Any other advice?
    I am going to Punta Cana middle of May for my honeymoon. Staying at Excellance resort. My first time out of the country. Was wondering if we could bring our own cigars. No idea how that worked.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    MAWart:
    Echambers:
    Bump. Any other advice?
    I am going to Punta Cana middle of May for my honeymoon. Staying at Excellance resort. My first time out of the country. Was wondering if we could bring our own cigars. No idea how that worked.
    Yes you can.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    MAWart:
    Echambers:
    Bump. Any other advice?
    You can bring anything you want going in, coming out is a different story. I spent hours upon hours searching and finally found REAL Castro sticks at the hard rock hotel. Took the band's off and declaired it and they still gave me hell but got thru.