Home General Discussion

New Cigar Enthusiast

TimbunnTimbunn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello everybody, I'm new here, but I was wondering what everyone thought was a good cigar for a complete novice and what he should look for when buying cigars. Thanks in advance!

Tim

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Buy 5 packs and samplers til you know what you like. Welcome.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Welcome, I would suggest the Avo Take 5 sampler as it is a medium package that gives you five different wrappers.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    The guys here really know what they are talkin about. Great forum and awesome people! Welcome aboard! I personally love the Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagnes and think they are an awesome smoke! I got a Perdomo sampler and really like it so far! I plan on buying brand samplers and seeing what they are like... might not be a bad move for you as well! Hope to see you around the board more! :)
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    pm me your address!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Timbunn:
    Hello everybody, I'm new here, but I was wondering what everyone thought was a good cigar for a complete novice and what he should look for when buying cigars. Thanks in advance! Tim
    smoke everything you can get your hands on until you know what you like.
    aim for a more mild/medium smoke at first, till you get used to them. then move on to heavier stuff.

in the signature line of my post is a link. in that link are a list of links. read through a few of em. they may help.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Timbunn:
    Hello everybody, I'm new here, but I was wondering what everyone thought was a good cigar for a complete novice and what he should look for when buying cigars. Thanks in advance! Tim
    Yes, as mentioned samplers are the way to go. Not only do you get to try out a variety of stuff, they usually are at a good discount too.

For someone new, I like the 5 Vegas brand... They aren't anything super special, but they are quality cigars and they have a good variety of lines. Also, the price is great. They won't rock the boat, but they certainly are not cheapies. Some of their are still among my favorite cigars including the Miami, A, and the Cask Strength is a new favorite!
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Welcome to the forum. If you want to go on the cheap, buy the cigar.com house blend sampler. Everything else mentioned above is good as well.
  • TimbunnTimbunn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for all of the advice. Samplers seem like the best route. Any advice on humidors/keeping multiple cigars?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    Timbunn:
    Thank you guys for all of the advice. Samplers seem like the best route. Any advice on humidors/keeping multiple cigars?
    If you do not have a humidor you can:

watch cigar.com's "Sprint Sale" for a great deal on either a small desktop or larger 100 count (or so).
    Use plastic gallon-size storage bags and put a boveda humidifying pack in there.
    Use a cooler or Tupperware instead of a bag for a little longer term.
    Or look around for a much larger humidor/ cabinet...

If you aren't sure what you want to do yet (or don't know how many cigars you will want to keep on hand) I'd start with bags, Tupperware, or a small cooler. Sprintsale would also be a great place to snag a humi for almost nothing ($30-$50 probably or even less)
  • NOBLE 6NOBLE 6 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    The sprint sale is the way to go for a good reasonably priced humi. Regarding your samplers I would try a mild to medium selection then work upwards. A meaty cigar may rip you a new one.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Being only a year in, I find that I want a small (250 ct) humi to hold my daily smokes (plus to look nice), and a cooler to age everything else.It also makes it easier to age if I say "Nothing is leaving the cooler til I smoke everything in the humi."
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Timbunn:
    Samplers are the way to go. Five packs and ten packs are the way to go. Tupperware or Rubbermaid food containers are the way to go. Get a digital hygrometer. And use Bovedas. They are simple. Bovedas are very accurate bags that both release and absorb humidity at a predetermined level. But, If you REALLY want a wooden humidor (most new guys do, myself included) you can find the best deals on a simple desktop on the cigar.com sprint sale. You may have to sit there and wait for them to come up for sale but while you are waiting you can study the cigars being offered and learn a lot about them also. I have been on the sprint sales a lot lately and I can tell you that these following two humidors come up regularly. The Southport Large which normally goes for $69.?? on cigar.com (ccom) can be had for around $40 and the Southport Small which sells for $59.?? can be had for $20. Look at the humidor section on ccom so you’ll know what to look for. I have one of the large and a couple of the small. Those are great deals. To be sure you will win the auction I recommend you pull the trigger at about $1 above the low prices I just quoted you. The sprint sales are all free shipping too. And if you’re wondering if you need the bigger one, you probably do but don’t sweat it, there’s always Tupperware for any overflow.