Home General Discussion

Your first box & buying habits

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
Im eagerly waiting on getting funds to buy my first actual box of cigars! I already know what box i wanna get... but dropping $150 is kinda hard to fathom right now (just paid for a new roof on my garage). I do day dream about setting aside space for a large humidor cabinet and filling it with a variety of cigars but thats only if i win the lottery. :) What was your first box that you bought and was it as magical as i think it would be? Do you guys prefer ordering by the box or doing samplers or bits and pieces from time to time?

Comments

• twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    my first box was a box of obsidian belicosos.was like christmas when it came.i still have the box.but lately i seem more likely to purchase samplers kinda get more to try.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Welcome, my first box was through ccom, Perdomo Lot 23's. Nowadays seems most boxes I purchase are only of 10 cigars,, I will buy a box of 20 but only if I really really like the cigar or if its a good deal. I tend to stick to fivers as this allows me to try several more sticks,, 4 x as many.
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    my father 2011 limited edition
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    The Kid:
    Welcome, my first box was through ccom, Perdomo Lot 23's. Nowadays seems most boxes I purchase are only of 10 cigars,, I will buy a box of 20 but only if I really really like the cigar or if its a good deal. I tend to stick to fivers as this allows me to try several more sticks,, 4 x as many.

That sounds about right for the direction i wanna go. Its kinda like buying the mixed bad of Halloween candy. you get a bit of everything.
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 278
    My first (and favorite) box was a box of Genghis Khan from Gurkha. Loved the box and the cigars. This was back when I had money for that sorta thing however.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    My first box was Cuba Libres...I don't wanna talk about it..
    scarlin:
    My first box was Cuba Libres...I don't wanna talk about it..

I do send my deepest sympathies. :)
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    My first box was man O war coronas, beautiful size and awesome every year. I bought a box of them to start a tradition. I smoke one out of the box every year on my sons birthday (or that week), and when he turns 18 we will smoke the last few remaining together, God willing. He's three now, and they are so good after 3 years. Can't but hope when the last few are 18 years old we enjoy an awesome old smoke together. In case that's no good, I have a bunch of other island smokes resting for his graduation.
    blurr:
    My first box was man O war coronas, beautiful size and awesome every year. I bought a box of them to start a tradition. I smoke one out of the box every year on my sons birthday (or that week), and when he turns 18 we will smoke the last few remaining together, God willing. He's three now, and they are so good after 3 years. Can't but hope when the last few are 18 years old we enjoy an awesome old smoke together. In case that's no good, I have a bunch of other island smokes resting for his graduation.

That is pretty awesome! :)
  • perkinkeperkinke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,562
    The Kid:

+1 Mostly this is what I do too, though I have a few boxes in the coolie. My first box was to motivate me to finish grad school on time and to celebrate when i was done, Davidoff Year of the Snake.
  • StsepasStsepas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 475
    My first box purchase was LFD DL-700 Maduro. The thing I like about box purchases is the B&M I go to gives a 10% discount when you buy by the box. So I'll make a box purchase once a month then through out the month I'll buy a few sticks every time I go to the B&M. I smoke 1 while I'm there and bring he rest home to keep my humi's stocked!
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    If you're first starting out I would strongly suggest you keep to samplers and trades before buying a box. I'm new to this as well and wanted a box so bad I jumped at the first one I could afford (Ramon bueso The Project) and while a good cigar I've found my money would've been much better spent experimenting and knowing I'd love the stick I finally bought first. My humi has so much space taken up with cigars i no longer love that I really wish I'd waited. Just my .02.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy boxes until I was at least 2 years into the hobby. My palate changed so much, and often enough in the beginning that I think I'd have saved a lot of money if I had just gone with 5 packs, singles, and samplers. Now however, I just tend to buy boxes of the sticks I love. It's actually pretty rare that I buy anything other than a box now. I can't remember the first one I bought. It was probably something stupid.
    I know for one thing that there is one I really love! I have 3 in my humi as I speak and I've had 2 already. But I do agree with the sticking to samplers and whatnot for a while. When I go to my B&M I've gotten at least 2 new cigars and one of my favorites. Any good suggestions for mild-medium samplers or brand samplers?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    my first box was a box of Camacho Havana Petite back in 2006. i have one left.
    Alex Svenson himself emailed me to tell me they were going on sale. i got a great deal. i loved thsoe smokes.

now a days i buy a few boxes a year. my average box is around $175 and the most expensive box i have purchased was $225

i only buy what i like and i buy in bulk. i trade to try new stuff or i buy singles at the B&M.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Buy singles and samplers. Don't buy anything in 5-10-box until you know you like it, even if it is a good deal. Once you do, it's all about boxes. Beig patent and and buying boxes saves money in the long run. Then again, why did I just buy two boxes of Rafael Gonzales?!?! Damnit Juinn... Damnit Randy... And I need a box of Regius too...
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Don't blame me, you need help.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    My first box purchase was a flor de dominicana airbender..... When that box came in i was like a kid on Christmas day.... I still have the box and use it to keep my cigar accessories in... My second box was Diesel Shorties Ltd.... After that i forget... I now buy boxes every few months on smokes that i want to keep in rotation such as my Diesel Unholy Cocktail's and for a short smoke the 1844's in their smallest size. These are my good cigars but not to expensive so i don't feel bad giving them out to friends. The rest of my humi is filled with good stuff that i get in either the cigar of the month club or purchase separately in B&Ms or 5 pack from ccom.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    My first box I do believe was when the padron fr 85's came out...they looked so good and at a reasonable price for the fr's I couldn't say no
  • The buffalonianThe buffalonian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 919
    My first box was rocky petal vintage 92
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    LiquidChaos66:
    I know for one thing that there is one I really love! I have 3 in my humi as I speak and I've had 2 already. But I do agree with the sticking to samplers and whatnot for a while. When I go to my B&M I've gotten at least 2 new cigars and one of my favorites. Any good suggestions for mild-medium samplers or brand samplers?
    If you'll send me a PM and tell me which one you're in LOVE with, (LOL) I'll see if I have any and I'll send you a few. If I hate them, I'll send more than a few.
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Mine was A Fuente 8-5-8 Flor Fina Maduros.
    Still a great smoke.
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    I bought a lot of samplers online and singles at the B&M until I found the one that I would order by the box. That first box purchase was 5 Vegas Classic. I always have those on hand as my go to and I still sample other smokes.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    It was rare that I bought boxes. I always bought 5ers and samplers. Now that I'm very selective and now know what I like, I dont buy samplers anymore. The box/boxes that I want to purchase are rather expensive. I just buy singles and 5ers of them.

As far as my first actual box purchase, I'm too embarrassed to say what it was.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    LiquidChaos66:
    Im eagerly waiting on getting funds to buy my first actual box of cigars! I already know what box i wanna get... but dropping $150 is kinda hard to fathom right now
    Give it time .....
    After a few years $150 will become just another "routine" purchase. LOL
    LiquidChaos66:
    I do day dream about setting aside space for a large humidor cabinet and filling it with a variety of cigars but thats only if i win the lottery. :)
    I'm with you on that one!!
    LiquidChaos66:
    What was your first box that you bought
    First full box purchase was a box of Tabak Especial Cafe Con Leche from CCOM that arrived on 7/19/2010 ....

I love that cigar.
    I have 1 left from that box but the rest are long gone. I haven't had an infused stick for quite a while but these are a dang good smoke, might have to order another box sometime this summer.
    LiquidChaos66:
    was it as magical as i think it would be?
    Yes.
    Just holding the box, knowing it was "mine" .... my first one .... was fantastic.
    The smell, look, and feel gave each of my sense something to experience .... and then, carefully opening the lid to reveal the 21 beautifully rolled cigars neatly packed inside was ... magical.
    LiquidChaos66:
    Do you guys prefer ordering by the box or doing samplers or bits and pieces from time to time?
    (These days) .... if I know I like the brand and would be able to smoke it 20 times, I will buy the box because it's a better value.

But I rarely buy "new to me" brands by the box anymore .... too risky. Too many "known" good brands that I'd prefer boxes of.

And there's always something new to try....
    Samplers, 5-packs, and singles are the way to go .... my humidors have more of those in them than they have boxes of single blends ....
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    My first box i bought but it ended up being a split was Tat La Verite 2009 but actually first box purchase that was mine was Liga Privada UF-13. and it was as magical as john said.. except mine still isnt open yet.. Lol
  • AVJimAVJim Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 438
    I can't remember my first box!!!! Could have been Ashton Maduro or Cohiba XV.... Like others have stated, make sure you like the stick enough to buy a box. I remember really liking the two above early on enough to purchase boxes. Each were sampled many times over.
    I went through quite a few samplers and 5er's to establish my likes.
    Now-a-days, I purchase mostly boxes. A little research about the cigar's personality and I can ascertain whether I will like it or not. I never purchase blind. Having a variety and quantity of cigars in your stash is a wonderful thing! Depending on the day and mood, my tastes swing. I also have been known to purchase a box of sticks that I personally do not rank high but a friend whom comes over a lot does. I keep a good range and variety for my own tastes as well as herfing buddies! It is one helluva hobby. Best of luck, I am sure you will get there quickly! Your BOTL on this site will help you wherever needed! Trust them (even when it concerns Kitty Litter)!!!

One final word..... buy a big enough humidor. You will fill it!!!!
    All awesome input so far! I was given my humi and have quickly realized I will most likely be buying another one pretty soon! :)
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    Buy as big as you can afford ! Around here you'll need it ! LOL