Home General Discussion

The Four Smoketeers

webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
After a year of sucking every new stogie I never tried before, I have come to the conclusion it's time to stock the humidor with four boxes of good reliable known and liked sticks so that I can always reach in for a smoke I know I will enjoy, whatever variety I am in the mood for. Then just pick up a very occasional new stick to break the mood. Time to settle.

My four faves would be these:

Fonseca Arana Criollo
AJ Fresh Rolled Habano
Factory Throwout #49 Sungrown
San Lotano Connecticut

What am I missing? Seems like I ought to have a cameroon among them. Maybe swap Torano 1916 Cam for the San Lo.

Comments

• VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    AF Hemingway Classic
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve
    Torano 1916 is a great choice!
  • StreaterStreater Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 293
    Oliva G will fill your Cameroon palate.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    I enjoy the cao Cameroon but they do need rest!! Rott I was pretty disappointed but after about 9 months of rest whole new stick. But it does take some time
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    id say hemingway always a good stick
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    webmost:
    After a year of sucking every new stogie I never tried before, I have come to the conclusion it's time to stock the humidor with four boxes of good reliable known and liked sticks so that I can always reach in for a smoke I know I will enjoy, whatever variety I am in the mood for. Then just pick up a very occasional new stick to break the mood. Time to settle.
    dont do it. yes have the things you will always have on hand. but try new stuff all the time. dont settle. how would you know if there is better stuff out there?
    ive been at this since 2005 and i still want to try all kinds of stuff and i feel that i have not tried a large percentage of what is out there.
    ...but if you MUST and are looking for a cameroon: LFD cameroon Cabinet no.1
  • seagarloverseagarlover Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 437
    It's getting to be that time for me aswell. 1] FONSECA ARANA 2] GRAN HABANO VINTAGE 2002 ROBUSTO/CHURCHILL 3] OLIVA SERIES V 6X60 4] RAMON BUESO PROJECT ANY SIZE The GRAN HABANO'S are so good I feel like I could take one right out of the Catalog Photobucket
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    kuzi16:
    webmost:
    dont do it. yes have the things you will always have on hand. but try new stuff all the time. dont settle. how would you know if there is better stuff out there?
    ive been at this since 2005 and i still want to try all kinds of stuff and i feel that i have not tried a large percentage of what is out there.
    Aaahhhh Kuzi ... that really rains on my parade. You know your are my ciguru.

How bout if I up it from "a very occasional new stick" to once a week? See, I'm just tired of trying three new things I don't like in order to find one I do. Most of the time, I just want to grab something I know I will like, relax, and enjoy the ball game. The other way around, I'd burn four things I know I'd like, followed by a one in four roll of the dice.

Thought I had it figured out. Now I gotta ponder.

• MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Have to agree, LFD Cameroon Cabinet, very mummy, think you would like.....need one?
    webmost:
    kuzi16:
    webmost:

How bout if I up it from "a very occasional new stick" to once a week? See, I'm just tired of trying three new things I don't like in order to find one I do. Most of the time, I just want to grab something I know I will like, relax, and enjoy the ball game. The other way around, I'd burn four things I know I'd like, followed by a one in four roll of the dice.

we have established that you know what you like.

so smoke what you like.

keep trying new stuff but narrow down what you try that is new.
    there are a few brands/blenders that no matter what they put out i will never spend money on trying their new stuff. and there are some brands and blenders that no matter what new things they put out i will always try.

one of the things that have been doing is i only buy the things that i know i like and i trade for the things that i have not had yet. this forum moves so many cigars that i can get what i want via trade within a week or so (within reason of course). and through bombs, the PIF, games, etc, i can try the things i wouldnt have sought out.

my thought isnt to get you to not buy those boxes, but rather to not "settle in" and miss out on many good things.
    MVW67:
    Have to agree, LFD Cameroon Cabinet, very mummy, think you would like.....need one?
    Don't even get started, Mike.
    kuzi16:
    webmost:
    kuzi16:
    webmost:

we have established that you know what you like.

so smoke what you like.

keep trying new stuff but narrow down what you try that is new.
    there are a few brands/blenders that no matter what they put out i will never spend money on trying their new stuff. and there are some brands and blenders that no matter what new things they put out i will always try.

one of the things that have been doing is i only buy the things that i know i like and i trade for the things that i have not had yet. this forum moves so many cigars that i can get what i want via trade within a week or so (within reason of course). and through bombs, the PIF, games, etc, i can try the things i wouldnt have sought out.

my thought isnt to get you to not buy those boxes, but rather to not "settle in" and miss out on many good things.
    Okay. Gathering my shekels and honing my list.

I found a serious online source for the 1916s, the San Lotanos, and even the #49s from a shop in Texas seriously cheap. Is it okay to ask here on the c.com forum whether some source other than c.com is legit? Anyone in the Houston area I can PM to ask? I'll still put in a c.com order for the rest. ... and some others ...

God, I'm going to need a bigger box! This is obsessive!

deep breaths ... relax ... look at bank account ... gulp ...

webmost:

My four faves would be these:

Fonseca Arana Criollo
    AJ Fresh Rolled Habano
    Factory Throwout #49 Sungrown
    San Lotano Connecticut

What am I missing? Seems like I ought to have a cameroon among them. Maybe swap Torano 1916 Cam for the San Lo.

Well, The Four Smoketeers have morphed into five, cause I discovered that I'd better stock one stick specifically for those days when it's just too Dull-Aware damp for one of the other four to burn right. All five are robustos except for the SCR, which is gran robusto. The SCR was substituted for the Torano 1916 Cam because there I had some irritating delay after ordering, during which long BS I ran onto a dynamite deal on the SCRs. Here's what the five go-to sticks look like:

* C.Com Sungrown -- sumatra wrapper, nic filler, a fave when I crave that sungrown tickle, and more consistent than the FTOs

* Alec Bradley SCR -- trojes wrapper, nic filler, meaty, smokey, mellowing to achieve a rich ethereal aromatic experience

* Fonseca Arana -- habano wrapper, dom filler, salty leather cashews all marvelous smooth and an excellent morning mouth

* AJ Fresh Rolled Habano -- habano wrapper, nic filler, full on tobacco with good manners indoors

* Perdomo Lot 23 Natural -- dark CT wrapper, nic filler, plenty leathery flavor chosen because it burns well on a rainy day

Looking at this list now that it has settled in, I see a pattern. Last year this time, light tan Connecticuts would have dominated the list. Now, other than the sungrown, it's all about dark brown. Couple habanos, a reddish tint on the trojes, even the one CT is darkened and aged. I am settling in to a smooth leathery flavor, no pepper, nothing harsh, but plenty flavorful. And not a lot of changes from beginning to end... I like a thing to be fairly consistent throughout. I like a heavy dark brown three buck robusto, from the looks of it.

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Glad you found what you were looking for bud. I love the Lot 23's. I havent had the SCR yet, I'll have to find one now! Thanks alot! LOL
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    I havent had the SCR or the Fonseca but i really like the other 3, Nice picks!(This spring about a third of my stash was made up of AJ fresh-rolled habanos :D ) I dont know if you still like the #49's but if you are interested i have a handful of the #59's that i can "throw out" your way.
    Bumping this up a bit, seven months later the Four Smoketeers have now morphed into

- Fonseca Arana for that special oily tang
    - Ave Maria for that toasty nutmeg fix
    - AJ Fresh for that moody earth relaxation
    - Torano 1916 Cameroon for that complex cedar experience

... and my cheap Throwouts have been supplanted by the truly excellent Smithdale Breva. Yum. One helluva smoke for couch change. Natural unfermented PA broadleaf tobacco. Smithdale Breva plays a capable Planchet to the 4Ms.

New is necessary now and then. If I smoked four a day it would be a different story. Smoking more like four a week I am reluctant to waste the opportunity. More than ever, I am convinced that ...

1) Though price may be a good indicator of construction and ingredients, it is not the least consistent indicator of what enjoyment I will get out of a stick.

2); I'd much rather have a selection I know to be good than be constantly rolling the dice trying new stuff.

What's your list of reliables?

• RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I love having all the different bands in the humi so it takes me about 20 minutes to decide.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    Rhamlin:
    I love having all the different bands in the humi so it takes me about 20 minutes to decide.
    agree with this.