Home Non Cigar Related

I hate remodeling. Post remodel stuff here

124»

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    0patience:
    Doing the roof by yourself sucks.
    All the sheathing is finally done...........on one side. Crap.
    Now the hardi board facia boards, flashing and underlayment have to be put on.
    Then the freakin shingles can finally go on.
    One thing about it though, when I get it done, I shouldn't have to deal with the roof again.
    At least not for a very long time, I hope.

Jeesh!! And I thought I had it bad!!!

Man, I feel for you Tony.
    And you're doing it all by yourself too? No way I could handle that.
    Hat's off to you!
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    My boys and I just got all the weatherproof membrane and underlayment on the roof and about 20 minutes after we got it all secure, it started to rain.
    One of the pitfalls of living on the coast in the Northwest.
    On nice days, the sea fog rolls in and coats everything with water.
    3 months later, and well over budget, but man oh man am i excited.

You guys won't believe it....but the finish line is an arm's length away.

Everything should be 100% done this weekend. Actually it has to get done this weekend...

jgibv:
    Demo/tear-out
    Electrical
    Plumbing
    Framing
    Drywall
    Gas line
    New Cabinets
    Over-the-range microwave
    Refinish/repaint old original cabinets:
    Paint walls & ceiling:
    New floor:
    Shoe molding:
    Countertops:
    Backsplash tiling: in progress
    Crown molding: in progress
    Final touch up paint/patch: this weekend

I am amazed at how different it looks and feels. Seriously doesn't seem like the same space. Weird.

I will snap some pics this weekend when it's all done.
    Oh man, I'm so excited.
    4/21/14
    old

8/25/14
    new

check out that new floor. so much better than the old low quality bamboo $hit that was coming apart.

and that new subway tile and countertop...so nice. there's so much room for activities!

ooo crown molding....niiiiccceeee. classin' up the joint

and the appliances were a tight freakin fit....
    maybe 1/16" to spare on each side. wow. wanted them to be "tight", but god damn cabinet guy....think you could have made them any "snugger". wow. freakin a!

and the fridge! whoa!! just barely squeezed in there.
    going to have to pop off that countertop if it ever needs to come out. might look around xmas time for a narrower fridge, with different style doors. since that would be a much better fit and would make access easier. we'll see

and the old cabinets all refinished. (dang crappy phone camera makes them look yellow. they're not! they're the same white as the other ones.) all nice & smooth now. crisp fresh coat of paint.

cabinet guy still owes us a few shelves for inside a couple of the cabinets & a trim piece for one of the ends (he said these would all be here 2 weeks ago...lol) and we still owe him half the $$.

all in all, it was a lot of work, lots of frustration/headaches. and felt like we'd take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.
    uncovered a few things that the previous home owners had done completely wrong which resulted in a lot of extra time/$ to fix their mistakes.

the plumbers we worked with were good, I would use them again.
    our electrician was good, as always, and will continue to use him in the future.
    the person that did the drywall/subway tile/countertop will be my "go-to" overall handyman for any future projects i can't/don't want to tackle. he's just an overall nice guy, charges a fair price, does good work, is punctual and has good communication. seriously he was the best experience of this whole process.
    the cabinet guy however, i'd give him maybe 1/5 stars. every single date he gave us got delayed. things never showed up when he said they would. the cabinets were wrong the first time and he drug his feet to fix them. what was supposed to be a 5-week project turned into a 3 month project with the fixes and delays we kept having with him. and even after fixing them there's still a coupe things that aren't "exactly" right (hinge placement, drawer fronts, missing trim pieces & shelves). but at this point we will have him bring the shelves and trim & keep the rest as is. we'll express our concerns to him but be done with it because at this rate it would probably be 2016 before they fixed the last couple things. will never ever use him again and will be recommending that people stay away from him. will be curious to see how long his store front stays open if this is how he conducts all his business.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Nice!. I like the door hinges on the cabinets
    danielzreyes:
    thanks man.
    was a helluva project. learned a lot along the way.

and yeah it was a b!tch trying to find those hinges. that's what was on the original cabinets so we wanted to "match" them on the new ones.
    ended up finding them online here -- http://www.historichouseparts.com/pdshop/shop/category.aspx?catid=16 -- pretty cool site.

(wife wants to redo all the countertops (quartz maybe?) somewhere down the road but it wasn't in the budget right now. so just went with the same laminate that was already there)
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I think Mike Holmes would be proud.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    thanks man.
    was a helluva project. learned a lot along the way.

and yeah it was a b!tch trying to find those hinges. that's what was on the original cabinets so we wanted to "match" them on the new ones.
    ended up finding them online here -- http://www.historichouseparts.com/pdshop/shop/category.aspx?catid=16 -- pretty cool site.

(wife wants to redo all the countertops (quartz maybe?) somewhere down the road but it wasn't in the budget right now. so just went with the same laminate that was already there)
    I rarely see cab doors flush with the cab itself. Good stuff John. Looks great
    jd50ae:
    I think Mike Holmes would be proud.
    ah shucks jd, image
    thanks
    except mike would've had a crew of like 10 people working on it and had the whole thing done in a week. LOL

danielzreyes:
    I rarely see cab doors flush with the cab itself. Good stuff John. Looks great
    thanks man. and i agree, seems like newer cabinets are mostly overlay - inset doors are rarer around here too.
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    This was done a few years ago but I totally feel you. When we bought the house it was a wreck.

The back yard was all deck and pool so we tore out 1/2 the deck and pool to actually have some yard.
    Before
    After

Then we got to the kitchen
    Before
    After almost done. Just waiting on doors at this point. It is completed now and I can try to get fully finished pics.

We also had to gut the basement due to the house having no power during the summer and the sump pump flooded.
    avengethis:
    This was done a few years ago but I totally feel you. When we bought the house it was a wreck.

The back yard was all deck and pool so we tore out 1/2 the deck and pool to actually have some yard.
    very nice brad. your before/after pics show a night/day difference.
    have you done most of the work yourself?

and what a mess with the basement!!!!
    are you going to refinish the space? or leave it unfinished?
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    jgibv:
    avengethis:

very nice brad. your before/after pics show a night/day difference.
    have you done most of the work yourself?

and what a mess with the basement!!!!
    are you going to refinish the space? or leave it unfinished?
    We did all the demo work, painted, I did electrical that needed to be done and some plumbing. The cabinets my uncle made and he also installed the wood flooring in the kitchen/dining. My other uncle laid all the tile in bathrooms and carpeting in the rest of the house.

For the basement we will finish it here. After the first year we discovered a crack in the poured basement wall that was leaking so we got that repaired and wanted to give it a year or so to make sure it doesn't leak anymore. It has been good now so I'm hoping this winter I can start finishing it again. I'm going to go and spray all the studs, walls and floors with a Shellac to lock out any signs of moisture/smell that might be lingering around. Then I will get new electrical ran and lighting, after that it will be hanging rock and putting in the drop ceiling and flooring. I'm also looking at building a smoking room since I'll have a blank canvas so during the nasty winters I have a place to enjoy a smoke.