Home General Discussion

It just seems wrong... but what do I know...?

R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
Tonight I was sitting on the deck, enjoying a nice Cohiba Red Dot that I've had my eye on all winter (I got a box for Christmas) when a friend of mine showed up and asked if he could have one... so, being the jolly good fellow that I am, I told him "no". He persisted so I let him have one... that's when he did it... He got the cigar from my humi, and came outside with the cutter and his pipe. The cigar was the same circumference as the bowl on his pipe so he cut 3/4 of an inch off the end and fit it down into his pipe! He lit up and puffed away! I guess I had a sort of shocked/disgusted expression on my face, because he looked at me and said, "what?" My first reaction to this is that he totally molested and humiliated a good cigar... but at the same time, the little bit of Cohiba burned for about 45 minutes (which is actually kind of impressive)... and I cant think of any ethical reason to say that what he did was "wrong"... Is there any precedence for this sort of thing? Is it common? Is a cigar really all that different from those rolled pipe tobaccos? Is this something stupid, or life changing????? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    if a guy says no...he means no! lol my friends know i have certain cigars they cant touch...and trust me, they know they will get their ass kicked! lol
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Definitely a weird thing to do. The only question I have is whether the residue from the pipe would alter the flavor of the cigar in any significant way.
  • R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    I thought it was weird as well, but the more I think about it... if it works, it would be amazing! You could enjoy the same cigar without setting aside an hour and a half to smoke the whole thing, AND a box of cigars would last almost forever..! I'm hesitant to call the idea "genius", but I'm wondering if he's onto something...
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I laughed so hard when I read this. Not just with what he did but how you told the story. You had to have had a WTF? looj on your face. If it works for him I guess it is ok. You should get a small humidor to stock for friends with sticks you are ok with sharing.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    We usually smoke the cigar normally, and if its something you don't want to let go, throw the nub in pipe and burn it till its gone. In that sense, smoking a cigar with a pipe ain't wrong. I don't know about cutting a handrolled work of art up to shove it down a pipe to start with....but hey...whatever floats your boat!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im sure any complexity that you would get over the length of the stick is gone. cigars are rolled with the intention of being smoked in a certain way. there is an intended experience. changing the cigar in any way changes that experience.

while touring the oliva factory, they made a very big deal about their quality control. they were explaining how if you have an uneven burn on a cigar you are then changing the amount of wrapper and filler and not having the experience that is intended.

im sure that if you put the cigar into a pipe it will not be burning as it was intended to.

there isnt anything wrong in the sense that if they enjoy it that way more power to them but it is wrong in the way that its not how the manufacturer intended.

ill stick to the intended use.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Bottom line is, this sounds like it interfered with your smoking enjoyment...for me I would probably be aggitated the whole time and thats not why I smoke cigars...
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    sightunseen:
    Definitely a weird thing to do. The only question I have is whether the residue from the pipe would alter the flavor of the cigar in any significant way.
    Yes, it does. I tried this a few years back. For me, it is decidedly a waste of a cigar, and not that great of a smoke in the pipe.
    Kind of like what I would imagine putting chocolate sauce on your sardines to be. Bleah!

Oh, and as to is it wrong? , well, not if it's HIS cigar he's doing it to.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    If he likes it that way.. Whatever. My brother-in-law smoked everything, Cigarettes cigars pot and pipes. All his scraps ended up in the pipe so nothing was ever wasted.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I have a couple nice pipes. Hate to ruin them with a chunk of cigar. The pipe tobacco is not the same and I'd be worried about the temp difference (although it may not be that different?). Too much heat and you will split that expensive pipe.
    I have enjoyed both cigars and a pipe, but they are apples and oranges to me and I keep them appart. I have tried cigars that are made with pipe tobacco.....didn't do it for me.

I agree that if your friend likes his cigars | piped | , get a couple cheap sticks for him to use while you enjoy your Cohiba ;)

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I know a guy that has a pipe that a 50 ring gauge fits perfectly in, so he uses it to smoke the nub on robustos.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I smoke / Herf with a guy that hand Carves these AWESOME Cigar TIps out of several different kinds of woods, with different gauges.... I have never used one, he sells tons of them. I like the taste of the tobacco, and the feel of the cigar, I agree with Kuzi and its the whole expierince.
    I guess the Use of a Pipe to nub it out (if the pipe hasnt had any flavored tobacco in it, then burn away... Im not that desperate! LOL
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    kuzi16:
    im sure any complexity that you would get over the length of the stick is gone. cigars are rolled with the intention of being smoked in a certain way. there is an intended experience. changing the cigar in any way changes that experience.

while touring the oliva factory, they made a very big deal about their quality control. they were explaining how if you have an uneven burn on a cigar you are then changing the amount of wrapper and filler and not having the experience that is intended.

im sure that if you put the cigar into a pipe it will not be burning as it was intended to.

there isnt anything wrong in the sense that if they enjoy it that way more power to them but it is wrong in the way that its not how the manufacturer intended.

ill stick to the intended use.

Side note: Using this item in any other way than the manufacturer intended will cause you to endure bodily harm. I think I'm gonna put that on a label on my Humi
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    This is perfect! Now instead of stealing an entire stick you can just donate 1/4 inch off the foot of a your robusto and you will both finish at the same time and save a stick