Home General Discussion

The worst thing about putting some age on a cigar...

HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
...and really building up some anticipation as to how great it's going to be -- getting a plugged stick!! arggh!

I have 4 Padilla Habanos with a little over a year on them. I've never even smoked one before and was really looking forward to this because I always hear good things so I figured a little age on it would make it even better. It's a torp, so I started with a v-cut - terrible draw. So I went with a straight cut - no better. Kept cutting lower and lower. Tried poking it with a straightened out paper clip. Cut again - got way past the cap. Still couldn't get a good draw.

Gonna toss it and go back to the humi for something else. But I don't have much time now, so I'm going to probably grab a corona or petit corona. So my wise BOTLs, here are my choices. What will salvage my smoking evening? It is in your hands: 5 vegas Miami, 5 Vegas Gold, RP 1990, or a DPG Blue. (I know that selection is all over the place, but I'm going by size now and can't decide)

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    DPG is guaranteed to please
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Bro, do a search of the threads for "cigar poker" and see if you can pick up any decent tips there.

• SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    You had four of them. One was plugged, grab another! It is but the trials of smoking something hand-rolled, that even the best rollers might inadvertently screw up. We are but human! =)

Besides, the more aged cigars we collect the less room we have, so smoke them and enjoy! At least thats what I like to do...granted my largest humidor was put aside for special occasion sticks, and now its full, and my secondary go-to humidor is getting full of special occasion cigars, so I guess I should reap what I sow.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I tried poking it with the paper clip several times to no avail. And I understand this happens sometimes - just wish it didn't happen tonight! ;-) That's the risk/reward for such awesome handmade products i guess. No worries - the others will be there waiting for their time. I unfortunately only have time for a shorter stick now.
    Gypsy, I'm going with the DPG. All of my important life decisions will now be in your hands!
    Heavy:
    I tried poking it with the paper clip several times to no avail. And I understand this happens sometimes - just wish it didn't happen tonight! ;-) That's the risk/reward for such awesome handmade products i guess. No worries - the others will be there waiting for their time. I unfortunately only have time for a shorter stick now.
    Gypsy, I'm going with the DPG. All of my important life decisions will now be in your hands!
    No pressure Al - LOL

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Oh man, I feel your pain. I have an Oliva V that I cut a couple days ago and was all ready to smoke when I noticed the same tight roll/no draw. I didn't light it but re-cut it. Then put it back in the humi. Then I dry boxed it. Then re-cut it. It feels like a stone at the end, like they put too many leaves into the torpedo head. So disappointing. I hope your DPG was good.
  • MrGreenMachineMrGreenMachine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    When I get a plug/tight draw, I roll the stick in my fingers for a minute or so. Grasp it up near the cap between thumb and pointer, genty squeeze, and roll. Loosens up most sticks.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    Heavy:
    I think paper clips are too flimsy and thin for loosening up those really tough ones. I would go with a bamboo skewer or an actual cigar poker or something of that style. You need something firm enough to break and punch past through the plug.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Oh man, I feel your pain. Having a plug in a cigar that I have aged for over a year would highly disappointment me, actually to be honest, it would piss me the Hell off. Anyways...I hope you picked a good do-over stick.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I've had more plugged cigars that are torps than any other. I like torps but man... I haven't had many though maybe 3 or so cigars that were plugged. 2 of them were torps.
    Here's an idea - try getting in touch with Padilla and tell them what happened. Perhaps they will hook you up with some goodies to make it up to you. I dont remember anyone on here saying anything one way or another about Padilla's customer service, but its worth a shot....

• gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947